PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Daemon Sword...

Belerophon709
04-04-2007, 12:25
I'm equipping my Exalted Chaos Sorc with the Chaos Daemon Sword for the CDS/Enrapturing Spasms combo. If the Enrapturing Spasms is dispelled, not cast or w/e, can I choose NOT to use the CDS in the CC phase?

Tried to find a definitive answer in the rules, but can't find anything definitive...

Bele

Lexmechanic
04-04-2007, 12:47
yes you can choose not to use it. Although should you choose so you must the other weapon (in this case where you can have only a hand weapon you use it) for the rest of that combat.
pg.54 3rd paragraph BRB

Hope that helps

Atrahasis
04-04-2007, 13:04
If you have a magic weapon you cannot use anything else. See the first sentence of the second paragraph of the rules on Magic Weapons in the BRB.

Belerophon709
04-04-2007, 15:24
If you have a magic weapon you cannot use anything else. See the first sentence of the second paragraph of the rules on Magic Weapons in the BRB.

The paragraph you're referring to (if I found the right one) reads:

"A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons, although it can carry a shield as normal."

Are you sure it means that he can't opt to use another weapon INSTEAD of the magical one? Doesn't it just eliminate the option of using a magical weapon and an additional hand weapon at the same time? Seems a bit unclear imho...

Atrahasis
04-04-2007, 15:31
It doesn't say "A charcacter that is using a magic close combat weapon...", it says "A character that has a magic close combat weapon".

The simple fact the character carries a magic sword/axe/whatever precludes him from using any other close combat weapons.

Pleasurepain
04-04-2007, 15:32
Yep, that is what it means. If you have a magical weapon, you always use that.

Belerophon709
04-04-2007, 17:31
Okidokie! Accepted :D Still think this should be clarified in errata though, so any of you GW-staffs, perusing these forums, keep this one in mind ;)

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-04-2007, 18:29
Why? It's perfectly clear. If you have a magic close combat weapon, you have to use it. There is nothing unclear at all about the rule. It might be a little obscure because it doesn't have it's own section and doesn't make as much fuss, but it's pretty straight forward.

Belerophon709
04-04-2007, 18:50
I already said I accepted it... The reason I think it's unclear is because it CAN be read as meaning that you can't use anything else at the same time (i.e. an additional hand-weapon) - not necessarily that you can't exchange it for your regular hand-weapon if you so choose...
It says that you can't use anything else, but nowhere does it say that you "have to use it"...

sulla
04-04-2007, 20:07
I'm equipping my Exalted Chaos Sorc with the Chaos Daemon Sword for the CDS/Enrapturing Spasms combo.

Risky strategy. 6 attacks means you're probably gonna take one wound every cc from the sword plus whatever you take in the combat and whatever you take from miscasts. Stick to a magic sword that can't kill you and doesn't tempt you to fight the biggest hero you can find. One of the common swords is a safer bet.

Atrahasis
05-04-2007, 11:12
not necessarily that you can't exchange it for your regular hand-weapon if you so choose...If you are carrying a magic weapon you cannot use any other weapon.

Carrying. Not using.

Wings of Doom
05-04-2007, 17:19
Risky strategy. 6 attacks means you're probably gonna take one wound every cc from the sword plus whatever you take in the combat and whatever you take from miscasts.

The point of the combination is that it is combined with enrupturing spasms, which means the target is automatically hit in close combat, therefore having no risk from the daemonsword.

MarcoPollo
05-04-2007, 17:42
It is true that if you have a magic weapon you must use it.

but what about a magic lance. What if you are riding a mount that can be killed. Are you still obliged to use the lance on foot? Would you still get the +2 bonus for charging?

Wings of Doom
05-04-2007, 17:51
No to both as you cannot use a lance on foot...

Atrahasis
05-04-2007, 17:56
It would depend entirely on the "lance" in question. If it was merely a magic weapon called a lance then you could certainly use it. If it "counts as a lance" then you could not unless mounted.

sulla
09-04-2007, 03:40
The point of the combination is that it is combined with enrupturing spasms, which means the target is automatically hit in close combat, therefore having no risk from the daemonsword.

But what happens if, once you get into combat, 'spasms' is dispelled or even worse, you miscast when you try to use it?

GodHead
09-04-2007, 04:29
Or you don't roll it up in the first place...

Belerophon709
09-04-2007, 07:42
But what happens if, once you get into combat, 'spasms' is dispelled or even worse, you miscast when you try to use it?

That's the point of the thread - wanted to know if I could choose NOT to use the CDS when the spasms weren't active... Conclusion is I can't choose not to, so CDS is no longer an option for me.