PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings of a dark path.

x-esiv-4c
07-04-2005, 16:52
Hi,
We have had discussions numerous times about following chaos, whether it be falling for the dark gods or life under the influence. However, many people depict the followers of chaos as rampaging monsters, slaves to the malevolent powers. What I would like to do is give my impression of what the introduction to the Daemonic powers would be like. No one goes from curious cultist to deviant daemon-prince overnight!

Nurgle:
Nurgle, the Grandfather. Often associated with disease. A keener eye would see this referenced to decay and the continual increase of entropy. Unlike the other powers, Nurgle isn't an active god, in-fact it would appear that its power increases as decay, or lack of action increases. Take a youngster who goes to school sick. Instead of staying at home, he or she would venture into populated areas, not to spread the illness openly, but just out of general apathy and non-caring for the welfare of others. Another trait not often recognized is the paternal essence of Nurgle. An afflicted may see themselves as the source of wisdom and the general authority over a situation by pure seniority. An afflicted may feel the necessity to act as a parental figure over his “flock”.

Slaanesh:
Most consider Slaanesh followers to be perverse, the most excessive of all chaotic followers. Early followings of Slaanesh is very hard to pin-point. Any form of over-indulgence of the senses could be an early warning sign. Habitual drug takers, alcoholics, even obesity are all potential signs of a Slaanesh influence. The hard part is where one delineates normal human indulgences from excessiveness brought on the dark powers. Musicians with the ability to hypnotize their audience with their performance could be regarded as a threat. Further down the line of possession one would see more drastic actions by the afflicted. Self-mutilation, overdosing things like that. The fact that deprivation of sense is the worst possible thing for a Slaaneshi cultist makes them very easy to control.

Khorne:
A Khornate follower may start of by being unnaturally attracted to something totally benign such as killing insects with a magnifying lens. They are generally creatures of power and will perform almost any act to gain said power or act upon it in ways of wanton destruction. A young Khorne follower may start of torturing and killing a neighbourhood cat and eventually graduate to things much bigger. Their killings are by no means calculated and are usually conducted under passion or hatred. Children picked by Khorne will act viciously in sporting events and thusly relegate themselves out of the social circle. This will precipitate and since acceptance is an integral part of being human, they will feel extremely rejected and harbor malicious feelings. If it gets bad enough, they may engage in deplorable acts of violence such as school-shootings or public-killings to sate their blood-lust.

Tzeench:
The changer of ways, puppeteer of fates. Megalomaniacs, manipulators, social engineers all fall into this category. A common trend in followers of Tzeench is set up a situation and play it out in the precise way that you have planned. The kick is not that the plan succeeded but that they have successfully maneuvered people into what they ultimately want. They have a deep need to prove to themselves that they are intellectually superior then their peers. This maybe reflected in innocent situations. A third party may coerce a friend to dump his girlfriend and act as a rebound, not to have her, but to be able to have her. Tzeench followers often play the innocence bystanders. They do this so the situation can be monitored and there is an additional thrill of being so close to their prodigy in action. Their plans are often obscured by illogical logic that only they can decipher.

I wanted to give a more humanistic approach to the dark-forces, something that people can possibly relate to.

-Thanks.

malika
07-04-2005, 17:04
A bit humanistic approach? I think you have taken this "humanizing" a bit to the extreme..making the Chaos Gods a part of your normal daily life...COOL! :p

TheSonOfAbbadon
07-04-2005, 17:29
You can't humanize Khorne, though, his followers fight anyone and anything, even themselves!

Black Ambience
07-04-2005, 17:37
The Tzeentchian one looks pretty solid to me. Disturbing... heh heh

Minister
07-04-2005, 23:15
You can't humanize Khorne, though, his followers fight anyone and anything, even themselves!
Only in the depths of the Khornate cults, with the likes of the most fanatical World Eaters. Most are rather militant cults, warrior codes and martial prowess and all that jazz. It's easy to slip from the exhaultation of winning in a knife fight to seeking out combat for the joy of a kill.

Ass Goblin
07-04-2005, 23:16
Hmm....If I start sprouting a third eye i'm blaming you x-esiv-4c.

Hell's Angel
08-04-2005, 00:11
"Khorne:
A Khornate follower may start of by being unnaturally attracted to something totally benign such as killing insects with a magnifying lens. They are generally creatures of power and will perform almost any act to gain said power or act upon it in ways of wanton destruction. A young Khorne follower may start of torturing and killing a neighbourhood cat and eventually graduate to things much bigger. Their killings are by no means calculated and are usually conducted under passion or hatred. Children picked by Khorne will act viciously in sporting events and thusly relegate themselves out of the social circle. This will precipitate and since acceptance is an integral part of being human, they will feel extremely rejected and harbor malicious feelings. If it gets bad enough, they may engage in deplorable acts of violence such as school-shootings or public-killings to sate their blood-lust."

This behavior could be seen as perverse self indulgence (slaanesh.) I would think that Martial pride, and taking satisfaction in the defeat of your opponents (sports included) could lead to khorne. To me a khornate would ironically gain less and less satisfaction from his relatively 'easy' (in his mind) victories, and thus become more cynical and 'bloodthirsty' in the process. Without worthy enemies all opponents are obstacles to be pulled down and trampled on with absolute impunity.

Essia
08-04-2005, 05:04
take a look at the real world, if a evil god does exist then it is likely they will fall deeper and deepr into its embrace. example

Khorne: Militants, countries ruled by warlords where might is power.
Slannesh: erm, everywhere?
Nurgle: starving countries, those ravaged by disease
Tzeench: Manipulative societies/ groups

also in my opinion "excess" would not fully describe the fall of the individual, it is just slowly how much more of his/her life is being taken over by these forces.

Talkie Toaster
08-04-2005, 10:51
I always had Slaanesh down as being more about obsession and going to extremes in general, I'm sure somewhere they mentioned artists, sports personalities etc. who were obsessed with their domains and desired perfection turned to Slaanesh to help them.

Dr Death
08-04-2005, 12:12
Its an interesting read but i dont think its wholey accurate, children do not have the capacity to feel the excesses of human emotion which forms the lifeblood of chaos itself. On top of that, people are not "doomed" to follow chaos, rather chaos plays upon those with "the signs" but "the signs" are not symptoms for "diagnosis- cultist".

I like to think people are driven through dispair into the chaos gods arms but thats not strictly true, only Nurgle plays upon purely negative human emotion, the others are the excesses of positivity. Those that join the other gods out of dispair are usually mere pawns of the dark gods, doomed to no chaotic fate other than dying in their legions of the lost and the damned and having their soul consumed by their chosen deity.

Future leaders would also not bother with small fry actions like killing cats or making a mate dump his girlfriend, they would be larger targets. In the scenarios you give (basically school) a follower of Khorne would start by picking a fight with the biggest bully out there and beating him/her hands down, he/she wouldnt nessecarily kill him/her but would feel unfufilled and cheated for not being allowed to truly rid him/herself of a rival. Followers of Tzeench may well aim to gain access to all the confidential imformation that schools are privy too, knowledge is power ;). Whereas Slaanesh, being sensation junkies and perfectionists would think nothing of painting something in his/her own blood and entering it as a peice of modern art (which isnt too far flung in this modern climate).

Generally though, following the dark gods is restricted to those of an age more capable of feeling and surviving the ravages such extreames have on the human mind and body children tend to just accept their lot and get on with it.

Dr Death