PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Points Strigoi, needs a little love

Toll Booth Willy
05-04-2007, 07:32
Well, Iíve picked a new army and have started building all the models, but I have yet to decide on a list. Here is the one I am working on; any comments would be of great service.

Vampire Count 315
Level 2
Strigoi
Curse of the Revenant
Iron Sinews

Necromancer 150
Level 2
Power Familiar

Necromancer 140
Level 2
Staff of Damnation

Necromancer 140
Level 2
Book of Arkhan
Black Periapt

Core:

Zombies 99
Unit Size: 14
Standard and Musician

Zombies 99
Unit Size: 14
Standard and Musician

Zombies 93
Unit Size: 13
Standard and Musician

Zombies 93
Unit Size: 13
Standard and Musician

Dire Wolves 60
Unit Size: 6

Dire Wolves 60
Special:
Grave Guard 290
Unit Size: 20
Shields
Full Command

Black Nights 290
Unit Size: 10
Barding
Full Command

Fell Bats 80
Unit Size: 4

Rare:
Banshee 90

Total: 1999
Power Dice: 12 (With the Periapt stealing one)
Dispel: 7

The general battle plan is to start marching forward and raise up the zombie numbers, raising zombies will be my only magic concern. By the time I get to the enemy I engage 4 of his blocks with my zombies (the more elite the better) I have them sit there while my strigoi and grave guard break through the line and position to aid the closest zombie unit. While this is going on, the Black nights do the same as the grave guard unit. The dire wolves harass flanks, the bats harass war machines, and the banshee just harasses. My Necromancers will step out of their regiments before the close combat begins. During the melee, they will just sit back and maintain the zombie regiments.

If I am able to keep my army centralized enough, I can keep the main zombie regiments and grave guard close enough to be affected by the staff of damnation, beefing up my combat prowess, and hopefully letting me break through their lines quicker.

What do you guys think?

forgottenlor
05-04-2007, 09:48
I think the list looks okay. Alot depends on your magic though. You need at least 20 zombies to withstand charges from ranked infantry or calvary. I would be afraid to field such small units. I would personally take 3 larger units.

Toll Booth Willy
06-04-2007, 01:00
So something along the lines of...

Vampire Count 315
Level 2
Strigoi
Curse of the Revenant
Iron Sinews

Necromancer 150
Level 2
Power Familiar

Necromancer 140
Level 2
Staff of Damnation

Necromancer 140
Level 2
Book of Arkhan
Black Periapt

Core:

Zombies 129
Unit Size: 19
Standard and Musician

Zombies 129
Unit Size: 19
Standard and Musician

Zombies 123
Unit Size: 18
Standard and Musician

Dire Wolves 60

Dire Wolves 60

Special:

Grave Guard 290
Unit Size: 20
Shields
Full Command

Black Nights 290
Unit Size: 10
Barding
Full Command

Fell Bats 80
Unit Size: 4

Rare:
Banshee 90

Total: 1999
Power Dice: 12 (With the Periapt stealing one)
Dispel: 7

But are three regiments of tie up units enough to allow my grave gaurd and black nights to do their job?

Also, should I drop Iron Sinews from my vamp and add another fell bat?

dominic_carrillo
06-04-2007, 02:56
yes the second list will perform better. im curious, do you just like Peroshki vampires, because i think a von carstein on a horse could help the black knights better than some gorilla monster.

Toll Booth Willy
06-04-2007, 03:12
Well, I am an ex Empire player, so that may explain something. When I look for a vampire, I try for survivability. Whenever I used to play VC armies, every single cannon ball went into the vampire (I was nuln themed so I had my share). So if I threw him on a mount, he would only have a contingent of 10 black nights with him.

As the game goes on, that knight buffer will undoubtedly drop in numbers. Until all that is left is a Vampire Count on a mount, unable to join another unit and receive the benefit of “look out sir!” If the vampire is on foot, he has a lot more options when it comes to attaching to other units.

Also, a Von Carstein compared to a Strigoi doesn’t have the survivability without spending copious amounts of points on war gear. If the look out sir is failed, my strigoi will still have a 5+ ward and a 4+ regen roll. While the Carstein will probably only have a 5+ ward as I would want to focus on beefing up his combat ability and not focus too much on defense. In my own opinion, the Strigoi is an offensive beast, and doesn’t need much else.

If I stuck my vampire on a mount, then the army would become rather disjointed, as my Vampire would probably be on one of the flanks, and not the center. And if I tried to put the knights in the center, then they share a good chance of either taking too much punishment for moving the same speed as the other foot sloggers, or they might become enveloped if I act too daring with them.

And finally I don’t put much faith in knights. My entire warhammer career is littered with my Empire knights failing horribly. And with my few practice games, that seems to have been passed onto my black knights. Only my knights with captain in tow can charge the side of a goblin archer regiment, loose combat and run off the board. I just generally suck at rolling with them.

But that’s just my experience.

tanka
06-04-2007, 13:31
Hmmm, its a good list undoubtadley, have you bought all those models already>?

But you are not playing to a Strigoi armies strenght, support unit domination, feel free to disagree on this one, but whenever I play Strigoi I have a count(BF), thrall(BF), 3/4 units of dire wolves, 2/3 units of black knights and 2 banshees. Comes to around 1,100pts, add in 2 necromancers, 3 skellie units, the 10 man zombie bunker and add ghouls to flavour.

I used to use units of 15 zombies with standard, then switched to units of 15 skellies with LA and standards, have never gone back since, for 60pts more a unit, they add a lot. First two turns spent beefing these units up, then the vampires go hunting small units, or even combine for the bigger units. The small knight units provide the flanking role, and the dogs and sometimes fell bats hunt the war machines. The army does suffer for not having the vampires around, but the skelentons can hold a charge a lot better than the zombie equivelent. Even with a flank charge and a few kills, a high attack unit(Witch elves, khorne, frenzy troops) will still beat zombies and the flankers, due to the 6 or 7 kills done to the zombies.

Just my two pennies.
Adam

dominic_carrillo
06-04-2007, 20:39
you can also try a vampire in the center with the Aura of Dark Majesty. put a thrall or a wight with the knights.

Toll Booth Willy
06-04-2007, 22:36
I was thinking about shaving some off of the two zombie units and switching the third out for some skellies. Just wondering, what does LA stand for?

As for tanka, I agree with what you believe to be the strength of Strigoi. The support units are what it is all about. Iím just not a big fan of bat form. I donít want to throw the vampire around, with the off chance that he may fumble in a combat and not have a strong unit to make up for it or take the hits (The Grave Guard in my list fill this role). I just want to fix my enemy into place with my 4 main regiments, and the work around that battle line. Perhaps I am playing too conservatively.

Do you guys think I should split up the black knights into two smaller units?

And dominic_carrillo, I was thinking about a Von Carstein in the center with the aura, but I just canít justify loosing combat prowess and defense from my vamp.

dominic_carrillo
06-04-2007, 22:49
LA=light armor. i know what your thinking. dont give it to the skellies.
how would the vampire lose combt prowess and defense? if anything, he will be even more potent in a big unit of zombies or skeletons backing him up.
and for the black knights, ive always done better with two units of 5-6.
later

Felworth
07-04-2007, 04:40
As the game goes on, that knight buffer will undoubtedly drop in numbers. Until all that is left is a Vampire Count on a mount, unable to join another unit and receive the benefit of ďlook out sir!Ē If the vampire is on foot, he has a lot more options when it comes to attaching to other units.

A mounted (not a monster or a chariot but just a horse or the like) character can join infantry units and still benefit from the 'look out sir' rules. New edition rules and all that jazz.

Toll Booth Willy
07-04-2007, 09:23
A mounted (not a monster or a chariot but just a horse or the like) character can join infantry units and still benefit from the 'look out sir' rules. New edition rules and all that jazz.

How does that work?

And when it comes to the Strigoi V.S. Von Carstein

My Strigoi is:
Level 2 Wizard
Strigoi
Curse of the Revenant
Iron Sinews

So he has +1 attack, Hatred, 5+ ward save, regen, and +1 strength

A Voncarstein would be:

Level 2 Wizard
Aura of Dark Magesty
Crown of the Damned
Sword of Battle

So he would have +1 attack, 4+ ward save, stupidity, and the 18 inch aura.

This isnít the best von carstein build, but it shows that they just can't match the basic strengths of the strigoi without spending oodles of points. They are not without their place in certain armies. But a Von Carstein, to me, seems like I would just be forcing a round peg into a square hole.

Felworth
07-04-2007, 22:30
How does that work?

Page 74 of the lil' rule book. Characters inside units.

As long as a character model has a unit strength of 4 or less, he can't be picked out of a crowd. Same thing for he 'look out sir rule', last paragraph on page 75.

Despite riding a horse, a character is still under unit strength four.

Toll Booth Willy
08-04-2007, 01:31
So he would just attach to the side? Or would he just join the rank and file troops & simply take up more space?

Felworth
08-04-2007, 02:09
He'd join the rank and file.

So, like "S" represents regular skeletons and "V" represents a mounted vampire...

SSSSV
SSSSV
SSSSS
SSSSS

or...

SSVSS
SSVSS
SSSSS
SSSSS

Something like that. Nice and safe in a big unit of skellies.