PDA

View Full Version : BO Boss Choppas Question?

Dunr II
05-04-2007, 09:32
Ok looking through the army book I have seen that BO's all carry loadsa choppas, with one option being able to weild two for the extra attack bonus, but if a boss is mounted on a boar he is not allowed an extra choppa

Now my question is can a Black Orc Boss on Boar use two choppas?

Sherlocko
05-04-2007, 09:39
Well, sure, but you do not get the extra attack as long as you are mounted so it is kind of waste I guess.

Briohmar
05-04-2007, 12:37
Well, sure, but you do not get the extra attack as long as you are mounted so it is kind of waste I guess.

Yeah but it costs you three points less to have it, so you might as well. its also important to note that you also don't get the extra point of Strength on the first turn of combat.

Parka boy
05-04-2007, 14:45
I don't understand this rule or lack of rule about 2hand weapons while mounted it really nerfs empire pistoliers in h2h. It seems to me that it the rules was forgotten more than left out.

Lord Zarkov
05-04-2007, 14:53
It's always been this way (at least since 6th); it's not an ommision either, it's stated next to the rule that it can only be used on foot

Parka boy
05-04-2007, 16:35
Oh yeah silly me, but pistoliers used to get fusillade rule. no more str4 ap rounds and no extra hand weapon, they sure have been slapped into pantsville.

minibob
05-04-2007, 19:54
So this would mean that armed to the teeth is pretty point less if you mount your BO. So you may as well give him a magic weapon.

Briohmar
05-04-2007, 20:31
You are correct sir.

WLBjork
06-04-2007, 09:20
Oh yeah silly me, but pistoliers used to get fusillade rule. no more str4 ap rounds and no extra hand weapon, they sure have been slapped into pantsville.

Well, it's because Empire Pistoleers were beeing used too effectively as shock cavalry, instead of their intended role as light (Fast) cavalry.

Now, with the swapping of the shoot in combat rule for the always S&S reaction, they can carry out the role they were intended for.

Back to the OP: It's possible to have 2 HW on a Cavalry model, but it's pointless as they gain no benefit.

memitchell747
07-04-2007, 08:51
The Armed to the Teef Great Weapon is also useless when mounted.

Scanno
07-04-2007, 08:57
The Armed to the Teef Great Weapon is also useless when mounted.

QFT. Great weapons on mounts are a biiiig no no now. Buy a nice magic weapon, or use a regular orc character; its only 1 less WS for a fair few less pts.

callum in hat
07-04-2007, 09:01
Yeah . its also important to note that you also don't get the extra point of Strength on the first turn of combat.
i am just wondering why he would not get the +1 strength in the first round o' combat

Scanno
07-04-2007, 09:03
The Choppa rules only apply to models on foot. If you're mounted they're just a hand weapon.

Parka boy
07-04-2007, 13:36
The armed to the teeth rule is so bloody pointless if I want a great weapon I'll pay for one but give me the option not to waste points!

Scanno
07-04-2007, 15:08
Again, use a regular orc if you want a mounted orc hero. Do you really want to be inflicting S5 hits on your own boarboyz anyway?
BlOrcs make great infantry characters, even without magic equipment, as they have something for everything. They kinda waste you points if mounted though.

DeathlessDraich
07-04-2007, 17:24
A great weapon on a mounted model still counts as +1S - I can't say that is useless - less strong in comparison but certainly not useless and armed to the teef is a free bonus anyway.

Shimmergloom
07-04-2007, 17:36
Keep your black orc warlord and bsb mounted.

With all the cheap magic weapons we have, you're likely going to give your black orc a magic weapon anyway. And a blk orc bsb on a boar w/heavy armor has a 3+ armor save and a great weapon. That's pretty snazzy. And now he's free to take any magic banner you can give him or something like the urgok horn.

superknijn
07-04-2007, 17:39
The only advantage one gets from using a Black Orc on a boar instead of a normal Orc is the heavy armour and the not so usefull GW; it depends on wether you think the additional armour really is worth it. Otherwise, you might as well use a normal Ork Big Boss.

Parka boy
07-04-2007, 21:24
Armed to the teef is not a free bonus it is something added into the points cost of blorc's, overpricing units of blorc's and being mostly pointless on blorc characters who are mounted or carry a magical weapon.

lparigi34
08-04-2007, 05:36
If somethign nullifies your magical waepon... you are still armed to the teef...

Bortus
08-04-2007, 05:55
Keep your black orc warlord and bsb mounted.

With all the cheap magic weapons we have, you're likely going to give your black orc a magic weapon anyway. And a blk orc bsb on a boar w/heavy armor has a 3+ armor save and a great weapon. That's pretty snazzy. And now he's free to take any magic banner you can give him or something like the urgok horn.

Well concerning the "Armed to da Teef" rule for Black Orcs how would it be possible for one to be a BSB and still take a great weapon?

Jonke
08-04-2007, 06:05
Nothing in the rules prevent a bsb to use a double-handed weapon or a shield. In some army books upgrading a character to bsb limits his/hers choice of items.

There is a faq from 6th edition prohibiting a bsb using double-handed weapons and shields, but being 6th edition its status is questionable...

Peace!

Shimmergloom
08-04-2007, 15:29
The only advantage one gets from using a Black Orc on a boar instead of a normal Orc is the heavy armour and the not so usefull GW; it depends on wether you think the additional armour really is worth it. Otherwise, you might as well use a normal Ork Big Boss.

That's not the only advantage.

You have an extra attack from the boar at S5 if you charge.

And being as you'll often have the last turn in turn 6, you can charge that character out and take out small vunerable units or characters without fear or being shot apart in later turns.

Also that 14" charge range will let you charge out earlier in the game to take out other targets. This is more risky, but against non-shooty armies you'll find it can be pretty valid.

There's no reason not to mount your warlord and bsb.

If you have a 3rd big boss, then you might want to keep him cheap and let him use the weapons he comes with.

But the survival of your general and bsb are vital.

Bortus
08-04-2007, 15:52
Well I guess you can always say that the standard is strapped to his back or fastened to the side of the boar if using GW's but GW should be clear on this otherwise I guess BO and bosses have 3 arms huh? Heh, heh!!!