PDA

View Full Version : If I ruled the world...... (US - serious)

Paddy
07-04-2005, 15:53
Following on from my Election thread, if you were running a political party and going for power, what policies would be in your manifesto, and why?

Oh, and can we keep this one serious please? I'll knock up one for the US guys (it'll be interesting to compare the two - well, I think so anyway) and a vent for the inevitable crazy ideas now, so keep it clean people!

Paddy
07-04-2005, 15:54
Following on from my Election thread, if you were running a political party and going for power, what policies would be in your manifesto, and why?

Oh, and can we keep this one serious please? I'll knock up one for the UK guys (it'll be interesting to compare the two - well, I think so anyway) and a vent for the inevitable crazy ideas now, so keep it clean people!

Riddy
07-04-2005, 16:10
Ok, now i know its actually impossible given that taxing would be ott but i would remove all costs for healthcare and higher education. I dont see why i should have to pay for my prescriptions when they contain drugs that keep me alive and i dont see why people should have to pay for any type of treatment that if they dont get will leave them in severe pain or even kill them. I dont see why people should come out of uni in massive debt and have to spend the next 10 years of their life paying it back, along with having to worry about paying for a place to live and eating and **** like that, this is the reason i am trying to avoid going to uni until i am older and can actually afford it.

Next i would change the system we use to accept and decline asylum seekers, dont know exactly how i would but it would be changed to make it fairer. I would try to crack down on mayjor drug problems, increase rehab programmes rather than just banging people up in britains already overflowing prisons. Although on this note i would legalise Cannabis, cos its good m'kay. (yes that would be the reason in the manifesto)

Other than that all i can say is i hope the UK population gets its act together and gets rid of Labour.

HM&
07-04-2005, 20:39
I did write a massive text document on what I would so with the UK if I ever ruled it. There were some very communist ideas on pay etc., but scarely some imperialistic ideas there as well to help sort out developing countires. I would also introduce proportional respesentation as it much fairer if the political faction system is to stay.

My prefered measure would be abolishing political parties, in most regions the person representing the region is voted in because is is a member of a party they like, not because they think he/she will represent their region the best, people should be elected on their quality to represent their region the best.

Kohhna
07-04-2005, 20:59
Tax the top 1% of earners dry then kill them and sell their organs for more tax and redistribute the wealth among the people. Then the Aristocracy and most of the celebrities. Put Rebekka Wade on trial for treason and bar Rupert Murdock from any holdings in the UK, demand all off shore savings brought back into the UK, and if Switzerland wants to #~~k with us we'll Nuke them. Everyone has to wear a 6ft high solid gold hat with my name on it every other Thursday.

(is that sort of thing OK?)

Seriously

Scrap the PFI and reintroduce the NHS and public sector to the rail network and healthcare (even Adam Smith knew there were some things to important to be left to profiteers). Full implimentation of the Good Friday agreement. Withdrawl of all British personell from Iraq. Open the borders to Asylum seekers and economic immigrants. Clamp down on benifit fraud and raise benifits to a real living level for those who need it. Highten percentage of GDP sent in aid to Africa to 0.7%

Somehow I don't think I would last very long, but there you go.

m1s1n
07-04-2005, 23:03
No more Patrick Swayze movies!

I think it would be almost impossible for my beliefs to ever be accepted and workable in any major form of government. Most of my beliefs seem to be in line with objectivism and whatnot--however I don't think that they are actually feasible. Because of this I allign myself with more liberal views--

I think that an objectivist (libertarian maybe?) would be best--unfortunately I do not think it could be supported by any system of government without a complete reformation--which is simply not possible in the currect US government.

Minister
07-04-2005, 23:06
Only the serious ones. Ten Nelsonic steps to a better country:

1. Benefits would be on a declining scale, reducing every six months (short term help, people). Same for child benefits (provide for one, which covers accidents). Introduce programmes for unskilled workers to either train or provide manual labour (with which there is nothing wrong, despite what some many think).

2. Scrap the nuclear weapons programme, but invest heavily in both modern nuclear power and future energy generation projects.

3. Promote immigration, particularly of skilled workers and particularly into Scotland where the population is in decline. Make these "citizenship tests" compulsory foe everyone, not just those incoming, before the government lifts a finger in the case of our own.

4. Abolish the monarchy. I can't believe I left this one for so long.

5. Initiate a management purge, reducing the numbers of managers in the NHS (amongst others) to 20% current levels at most and return the power to those doing the blasted jobs.

6. Re-nationalise the rail network, invest heavily in public transport and implement lotsa new congestion charge all over the place.

7. Wreck the civil service. Everyone who has seen Yes Minister and known it to be true will know why. Build a better one, each department separate and wherever possible outside London (also solving the London housing problem in one fell swoop).

8. Invest in a military which can act in the interests of the country abroad and defend the home nation. this primarily means investment in well-trained infantry to take part in peace-keeping and such like, and the units necessary to support them.

9. If there is a minimum wage, there should also be a maximum one.

10. Scrap the last vestiges of the historical system of government. The monarchy having been removed (above) the Lords can be bulldozed (possibly literally, depends on the value of the land and whether the new parliament in the middle of the country... say Newcastle or something... can be built in a better way than the Scottish one), scrap the systems of peerage and the pointless pedantry inherent in so much of the system.

There you go, and that's without even mentioning Scottish independence (because the main problem is the power base in London, which would be smashed) or the implementation of Irish re-unification (to fobb the problem off to someone else).

EDIT: Corrected mistooks caused by being half-asleep and not spellchecking.

Minister
08-04-2005, 14:25
The two have become as one...