PDA

View Full Version : Partial vs. Large Target Question..

Maelx
05-04-2007, 19:55
Alright so:

Say that I hit a giant with a small blast template, right on his noggin. The template doesnt cover the whole base (because it's huge) so does this count as a partial hit?

If so, that's hella goofy.

Bloodknight
05-04-2007, 19:59
I think so. In my group we play it "hole on the base => full hit", but thatīs a house rule.

Festus
05-04-2007, 20:27
Hi

No, it is not a house rule, it's the main rules: the target under the hole is always hit, and the rest is decided by the template.

Festus

Bloodknight
05-04-2007, 20:39
Perfect ^^. I thought we had made this up because it seemed to be right.

Cragspyder
05-04-2007, 20:59
You all appear to be saying different things.

The OP is saying that even if the hole in the template bullseyes the giant's forehead, it is still a partial because the template doesn't cover the whole base.

Everyone else is agreeing with the OP while at the same time saying that it is a direct hit ><

If the OP's opinion is right there is no possible way to get a direct hit on a giant with the small template, therefore I believe he is wrong.

xibo
05-04-2007, 21:02
Hi

No, it is not a house rule, it's the main rules: the target under the hole is always hit, and the rest is decided by the template.

Festus

Another thing that reminds me that fantasy is in fact more realistic and reasoned than 40k where you have to dice in large bases even though your midpoint's on them...

Bloodknight
05-04-2007, 21:25
@Cragspyder: yes, heīs wrong. I was, too (sort of).

@Xibo: thanks, I get now what confused me.

DeathlessDraich
06-04-2007, 09:08
You all appear to be saying different things.

The OP is saying that even if the hole in the template bullseyes the giant's forehead, it is still a partial because the template doesn't cover the whole base.
, therefore I believe he is wrong.

@Cragspyder: yes, heīs wrong. I was, too (sort of).

@Xibo: thanks, I get now what confused me.

No, Festus is right. Before he jumps on you let me quote the rules. :p

pg 93 "Any single model that lies directly under the centre of the template suffers one auto hit at twice ... even if its base is not completely covered by the template"

Festus
06-04-2007, 09:40
Hi

No, Festus is right. Before he jumps on you let me quote the rules. :p
I do not jump on peple. I might bite them or kick them or even tear their hair, but I do not jump on them ... and I shouldn't really, weighing about a ton (well a tenth of it, actually ;) )

pg 93 "Any single model that lies directly under the centre of the template suffers one auto hit at twice ... even if its base is not completely covered by the template"
Thanks for that...

Festus

Bloodknight
06-04-2007, 13:07
@Deathless Draich: I think the OP as well as I were wrong (sort of, I play it correctly, but due to 40K confusion I was of the opinion we had invented a house rule).
I know Festus is right and he wouldnīt jump on me ^^.

TheWarSmith
06-04-2007, 18:07
::scurries to put his plastic giant on a smaller base::

Festus
06-04-2007, 18:45
Well, the base of the Giant is an abomination nonetheless: It *should* be 50x50mm, but it happens to be 50x75mm... :(

Festus

Greyfire
07-04-2007, 15:04
Well, the base of the Giant is an abomination nonetheless: It *should* be 50x50mm, but it happens to be 50x75mm... :(

Festus
Was there ever any reason for the change in base size when the new model was released? Put another way, do I need to rebase the Giants of Albion that I have?

Or do we pretend it's a 50x50mm base as far as close combat is concerned? Kinda helps out mass troops that pull off a charge, just a little. Now I can even more skinks in base-to-base combat! :p

-=- Greyfire

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-04-2007, 21:36
It's on a larger base because thats what worked best with the model they created. Rumours abound of dragons and other big nasties coming with the same base, but so far we have seen nothing, and the 'proper' base remains 50*50.

eldrak
08-04-2007, 17:11
Any single model that lies directly under the centre of the template suffers one auto hit at twice ... even if its base is not completely covered by the template

But that's just for the stone thrower and not other kind of stuff that also use the round templates, yes?

WLBjork
08-04-2007, 17:22
The Stonethrower does have that specific exception.

Other weapons may also have that exception (e.g Mortar).