PDA

View Full Version : dwarf slayers - true story? -> Rules Question

Shibby
05-04-2007, 21:51
ive heard people saying in my local GW that keep suggesting i should use slayers because you can apparently (this is were i need you to fill in) charge a squad (or get charged most likely :( ) and as long as they have master rune of swiftness and runes of cleaving x2 you can hit a squad and because 3 models on average will be in base contact and be able to attack you and been a slayer you can slaughter those 3 people anyway before they can hit you because of M.rune of swiftness and so eventually grind down a squad because they never run (unbreakable)

if you can prove that this is true or something very similar it would be a great help because im debating on having then for the Nemesis crown or whatever its gonna be called.

TY :p

Shazarn
05-04-2007, 22:15
it sounds as though it could work, depends what your charging though.
If your charging something with spears your stuffed because of 2nd row attacks but if its something like handgunners i can see it working

Belerophon709
05-04-2007, 22:16
Erm... Like your siggy says... I didn't understand half of that mate... Sorry... :(

Shibby
05-04-2007, 22:31
oh and to anyone who thinks ive posted this in the wrong section sorry in advance.

Arnizipal
05-04-2007, 22:41
Basically you're correct. Master Rune of Swiftness lets you strike first every time. As long as your Slayer character keeps killing everything in base contact he's safe (as dead models can't fight back). Just stay away from units that can fight in multiple ranks and you're good.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if you used some punctuation and capitals.

Mad Makz
05-04-2007, 23:31
However, lets look at your actual chances of doing so, statistically:
5 attacks I presume (3 from the slayer character, two from the Runes of Cleaving? they offer +1 A yes,? or is it +1 S, in which case the odds drop a little) attacking three opposing models, an average of 3 hits, and probably only two wounds. One model will attack back normally hitting on 4's, and wounding on 5's if they are S3, so will wound 1/6th of the time.

So, assuming you don't get engaged by other models, and the enemy doesn't have multiple attacks, or spears, and you haven't been wounded, and are fighting s3 troops, you will last about 12 combat phases, (or 6 turns) on average, i.e more than the entire game.

But that's a lot of if's - still, it is not a bad tactic to have a slayer character used as blocking character, but it can get quite expensive, and versus more heavily armoured troops it doesn't really work.

Rodman49
06-04-2007, 05:03
If your charging something with spears your stuffed because of 2nd row attacks but if its something like handgunners i can see it working

Wouldn't handgunners just stand and fire? You need to take in account the following from a stand and fire reaction . . .

10 shots * (1/3, hit chance) * (1/2, wounding) * (1, no save) = 5/3 wounds on average

WLBjork
06-04-2007, 08:41
Handgunners could S&S, but if the Slayer Character is in a Slayer Regiment with at least 5 Troll or Giant Slayers, the character cannot be hit.

Otherwise, as the character is T5, the chance to wound with an Empire Handgunner is 1/3*1/3=1/9.

IMO, it's not worthwhile giving Slayers runes as they aren't survivable enough - it only takes a hero in the 3 models in BTB contact to defeat the plan.

T10
06-04-2007, 13:07
That rune combination (+2 Strength; Always Strike First) is such a no-brainer that it is simply called "The AXE!" around here. It's like the M9 Saurus Hero with a Great Weapon: most who apply some brain power end up with that combo on their Slayer Hero.

Combine this with taking a couple of extra Slayer Champions in the unit and you can keep you hero out of challenges and have him grind up those enemies good!

-T10