PDA

View Full Version : GW staff to lose their weight discount.

Grimtuff
05-04-2007, 23:02
My housemate has just informed me that as of June 2007 all GW staffers will lose their ability to buy stuff from Mail Order on weight, they will only get 50% discount on it as they do instore.

Now I can see this doing 2 things. Firstly, it'll probably make a load of staff jump ship. But also, look when it kicks in, said staff will be buying stuff by the bucketload which makes GW's end of year financials in May look a lot better :rolleyes:

Being as I don't work for the company it does not affect me one jot, but news is news and this is more signs to me that something is rotten in the state of Lenton.

JT-Y
06-04-2007, 01:45
Thats bad.
The pay sucks, and taking company benefits away sucks more.

I feel it is a sign of desperation though, on GW's behalf, for them to choose to skin staffers for product too.

Genuinely, and although I've critisised GW for staff discount in relation to price hikes before, genuinely I'm sorry for those this affects.

It sucks and shows an enormous lack of consideration for those who work very hard on their behalf.

I can only hope that the comapany begins to treat you all better in other areas now.

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 02:17
ebay will suffer most

A neutral shade of black.
06-04-2007, 03:47
Ouch. That's a tough hit; I know a few people working for GW precisely so they can get cheap models (and enjoy their Hobby addiction to a bad game) and who were looking forward to that weight discount. :(

The Ape
06-04-2007, 11:13
ebay will suffer most

So true. Supplements many a staff members income and helps others get cheap mini's

dancingmonkey
06-04-2007, 11:25
well i guess it was bound to happen eventually. We were slowly losing the discount as I left. MAinly with vehicles and SM stuff, (they wouldn't sell anything that came one sprue to a box, Like the new sm sprues)

Im glad I jumped ship when I did, looks like I won't be missing the discount quite as badly.

I do feel this is in part a reflection of the whole switch to plastic. If you look at the mail order stuff, its really limited as to what you can buy, compare to the old days! Think about the new giant and carnifex!

It makes converting a little more difficult now, as you end up buying sprues, for only one componant.

Opps, Ive wandered a bit there.

Commiserations to any staff left out there! It does really suck to be a blue shirt these days.

The game is afoot
06-04-2007, 12:31
well i guess it was bound to happen eventually. We were slowly losing the discount as I left.
Im glad I jumped ship when I did, looks like I won't be missing the discount quite as badly. .

They've been gnawing away at the discount for years and now with it going they have finally brought the curtain down.
It's a shame for the staff members doing the hard yards in the understaffed shops.

Commiserations to any staff left out there! It does really suck to be a blue shirt these days.

Fair point and well made.

Jesse Custer
06-04-2007, 13:42
It's funny because only for Europe in Uk you were able to get this staff discount by weight (or Companies based in Uk).
For the others it is already 50%.

I talked with a friend of mine about that. In fact, they had to change that eventually because GW was losing money by allowing staff to get products by weight (and especially on plastics where staff didn't buy finished products but the sprues instead to get those cheaper). It also disrupted stock controls and stock reliability.
Make sense even if that bites.

The pay sucks,
Actually there are many jobs within GW where pay doesn't suck as you said.
If you're talking about sales people (I'm thinking in stores), I would say that all basic sales job do have low wages, it isn't really a GW specificity.
If I had to choose I would gladly work at a GW store rather than at Mc Donalds (or sell shoes, etc...).

But also, look when it kicks in, said staff will be buying stuff by the bucketload which makes GW's end of year financials in May look a lot better
Not really, it isn't very linked. What shares holders are looking at is operating profit and margin. The profit made on staff discount won't change anything really towards end of financial year. And the staff sales are probably a marginal share of all sales. You don't really have a point.

I feel it is a sign of desperation though, on GW's behalf,
No, it's a sign of rationalization (once again, even if that bites).

Brother Loki
06-04-2007, 16:47
Now, I'm not bitching about staff discount levels, but how weird is it that people are complaining that they'll only get 50% off? GW retail wages are comparable with other high street retail wages, which are all pretty much just over minimum wage, and very few other shops give anywhere near 50% off - 25% or 30% are far more common.

Pete

The Ape
06-04-2007, 17:42
Yeah, but when you work for GW you are EXPECTED to have at least one fully painted army for each system. That is why they have the staff discount...

When you are paid a ****** salary AND are expected to use some of that on the company's own products, the loss of the weight discount can be a bit of wounder. It's not like it's an essential product is it? Like if you worked in a shoe shop, yes you may only get 20% off but you would buy shoes anyway.

Carot
06-04-2007, 17:55
Haha. When I saw this thread on the side it looked like:

GW staff to lose their weight.

Which made me instantly think of the staffers I see at the nearest store. And I thought: Thank God! :D

........... :rolleyes:

but to be on topic. I've always thought that the weight discount seemed like a badly planned incentive. It immediately brought to mind, employees using it to supplement income by selling things themselves(as was mentioned earlier) in a black-market fashion.

Since GW has become much more retail oriented, that discount seemed counter-productive.

But this change will cause employees to be further disgruntled with the company's practices. I imagine that if they don't do something about that before next winter they'll find themselves rather abruptly short-staffed here in the states.

It might be the only job I've seen that's more cut-throat than working for the post office. And they certaintly don't get a benefits package like postal employees do.

"GW staff to lose their weight" ahhh I'm gonna be chuckling about that one all day.
:chrome:

Huw_Dawson
06-04-2007, 18:09
Hmmm... so their getting rid of something that makes GW weaker and will strengthen their stock by making it fluctuate less? Nice one GW.

Staff already get a big discount, so that's enough incentive to carry on working their - working in GW is a hell of alot better than working in similar priced jobs. Plus it's more stable, and you get to do something you like - people are going to jump ship you say? Well, if their just doing it for the discount then their not exactly model staff material, eh? Maybe they'll balance this by paying staffers a little more, I don't know.

One particular sentence that niggled me a bit was the "and enjoy their Hobby addiction to a bad game" - This is an example of what's wrong with Other GW in general - People use it to take cheap shots at GW for kicks. Please. :rolleyes:

- Huw

75hastings69
06-04-2007, 18:34
@ Carot, I had to sig that, it was pure genius!

To be honest IMO this is disgusting! it is worse in my eyes than the frequent price hikes for customers!!

Now you can all shoot me down if you want but this is my impression and my honest opinion after years of dealing with GW staff.

When a company like GW, who by most staffers own words are a poor payer, don't give a dman about their employees, but expect plenty in return, remove the only perk that their employees get things are looking bad! Some of the guys at GW do it purely for the love of the hobby, they are not well paid but they are around and a part of something they love, it has to hurt when they put the squeeze on their own staff (or drones as I like to call them), some of these guys make very little and love the hobby, they are around all this stuff all the time, and soon they will not be able to afford it on the salary that GW offers. I am hoping that there is going to be a compensatory rise in salary in order to balance out the staff price hike. If not then I am genuinely disgusted in GW as it's treatment of its own employees is disgraceful.

@ Brother Loki, yeah 50% off does sound like alot, but when you look at how much it cost to make a plastic sprue they are still being overcharged if they only pay 50% of RRP. I remember being in GW Portsmouth when staff preorder sheets for Necrons came in, and if my memory serves me correctly a plastic necron destroyer sprue was 70p!! so a hike of 70p to now 1/2 RRP is a pretty hefty rise in relation to the salary that they get paid.

Crube
06-04-2007, 20:06
I agree that this is a bit of a bugger for the staff - hell I remember really loving the 'by weight' discount when I was there.

Damn, I even considered a PT job at the Aberdeen store just for that alone....

But compared to other retail outlets, 50% off all product is still pretty impressive. Most other retail outlets offer between 10-25% at most

Still takes away the main incentive for becoming a red (or what ever colour they are now) shirt...

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 20:19
Many companies don't make profits from there staff and sell them things at cost after a probationary period.

What you have to remember about the GW 50% off is that it is 50% off something that you really don't need and only costs pennies to make.

M&S give about 10- 15% off food and electronic stores will give you 25% off a £1000 tv which would be so much easier to sell to some random as well as sorting out all your friends and family.

Vaktathi
06-04-2007, 21:35
Oh man, my economics classes are coming back with a vengeance here.

a weight discount, from a business PoV, is absolutley horrendous and I'm not surprised they cut it. 50% is an AMAZING discount for employees, and even though the actual direct unitary cost of production may be next to nothing, they still have to cover packaging, shipping, overhead, advertising & marketing, administration, development, and wage costs with those products, so even though something may only cost $0.03 to make when looking at only the assembly line and materials, its actual cost may be $4.75 when taking into account the relative production to the overall indirect costs and then may have an MSRP of $10.00, at which point a 50% discount would be barely covering costs (something which has to be done if GW wants to stay in business) and if a weight discount allows employee's to get it below cost, that is poor business sense and by any rational standard should be cut. Selling stuff to employee's at a loss is not good business sense, a 50% discount is extremely generous by any standard, even for low paying jobs (and lets face it, working for GW is 100x better than working the drive through window)

f2k
06-04-2007, 21:40
That's probably a correct analysis - I'm not an expert so I'll take your word on it. But the problem is that the employees are not paid very well. As I understand it, they're actually paid rather poorly. So the staff discount is something that they count on to compensate for the lousy pay. "They might not pay me much - but hey, at least I get a discount!"

Without the discount, how are they going to hold onto their employees?

Vaktathi
06-04-2007, 21:49
That's probably a correct analysis - I'm not an expert so I'll take your word on it. But the problem is that the employees are not paid very well. As I understand it, they're actually paid rather poorly. So the staff discount is something that they count on to compensate for the lousy pay. "They might not pay me much - but hey, at least I get a discount!"

Without the discount, how are they going to hold onto their employees?

For such low-paying jobs, I imagine the turnover rate on average is already fairly high, and you can always find more teenagers and college kids looking for a part time job dealing with things that they like even if the pay is low. As for full-time employees, they will probably just have to bite it, but this is another position that unless its a fairly high managerial position, that I'd bet they already have a higher than average turnover rate so someone will step in to fill the position if someone feels that this benefit cut is just too much, or they could split such positions into part-time jobs.

Damien 1427
06-04-2007, 23:40
And suddenly I don't want to work at GW anymore. What a suprise.

The high staff turnover is spot on, though. The three near me seem to replace staff on what seems to be a quarterly basis.

It's a crap job, arguably worse than your standard retail position because unlike, say, Game or Waterstones, you're expected to deal with hordes of mewling brats and unwashed nerds (I'm a washed geek. Hush), and have at least one fully painted army for each system, in addition to the regular sales job things.

The discount was perhaps the only selling point beyond any other similar position for a gamer, and slashing that dramatically will cause a fair few staffers to go onto pastures new, and perhaps disencourage people to replace them.

Parka boy
07-04-2007, 00:23
50% off sounds a lot, but not when you look at GW new prices, I can get 20% off myself by not buying at GW or if not more than 50% off by buying on ebay.

GW have just put their prices up again by an pound or two. Is it 2 or 3 times this year I've lost count?

My last GW ebay purchase I got £93 of figures for £39.56 with postage you do the math and I can earn a hell of alot more than £5.50ph

How much do staff get paid any who?

Parka boy
07-04-2007, 00:38
10 orc boar boyz just sold on ebay for £28.50 with P&P GW retail £70 without postage slightly better than 50% off or what?

All new and still in there blisters not as if that matters much

Gaebriel
07-04-2007, 08:06
Hmm, a friend of mine works retail at a bike discounter, and they get everything at initial price (the price the company paid without margin) plus taxes - this is a very good deal, considering they can get fairly high quality parts (multihundred-€s). I also know of colleagues who made a fortune selling low-price parts which had a 90% mark-up on eBay.

50% off a highly overpriced luxury item (well, yeah :p ) is a bit poor. Likewise is weight discount, but I'm sure GW could have come with something more drifting towards 'actual cost'.

LessThanSimple
07-04-2007, 08:18
Wow. I must be one of few people that think the GINOURMUS discount the staff get is a load of BS. I'm glad this is happening, GW is the only company I know of that give discounts of that magnitude.

Ravenous
07-04-2007, 08:24
I can see alot of people getting better jobs.

The only perk for working for GW was the huge discount they got.

Here the general staff got 60% off and the manages got 75 - 90%. The only people that got it for weight was the stock holders and head office.

If this effects everyone world wide there is going to be alot of unhappy people at GW.

And to that I say GOOD. Maybe now they will get a rough understanding what its like to get price gouged.

asmodai_dark86
07-04-2007, 08:26
Roll on July :D

I dont work of GW, and I did try (for three months) to get a job there for the sole reason that it'd make buying my army much much easier. I can see around a third of the current staffers jumping ship at this kinda action.

Some of the people at the big stores (like manchester) have cool armies because of the simple fact that they have that discount - so buying ten priests just to cut off the torch he's holding for use on a BT back pack.

There also choosing the worse time to do it. When they make such an order, the store manager has to give it the nod - stops them selling loads of stuff on ebay. Chaos codex, apocalypse campaign, and nemesis crown are all between June and December... quite easy to justify that 10,000pts Chaos warrior army...

Brother Axel
07-04-2007, 09:54
Hi there

The loss of the 50% staff discount really sucks. As has been mentioned GW retail staff have awful pay. They also have to deal with annoying kids, grumbling parents and assorted bitching from regulars and vets - let alone the greif and agro that comes down the pipes from 'up-high'.

Taking away the weight discount is hardly a good way to motivate staff - especially just before the 6 week summer break. In GW retail a good summer = a good christmas for sales. Seems like a pretty dumb move to annoy the staff just before the major marketing campaign.

cheers for now
Brother Axel

Vaktathi
07-04-2007, 10:08
On another note, while I can definitley understand and appreciate why GW is cutting this particular staff benefit, I'd personally love to take a look at GW's books and see what their costs are and their actual sales/demand demographics and information, it would be interesting to try and piece together a real market equilibrium price on their products and an actual marginal revenue/marginal cost graph and plot the AVC and ATC and see where GW ends up as I think whoever is running the show may be a bit off (as most people can probably attest)

blongbling
07-04-2007, 13:44
speaking to a friend of mine at GW HO he has said that the reason they have removed the weight discount to UK staff is simple. the discount was only offered to UK staff and not to any of the international staff that GW has and that was unfair to them.

it had nothing to do with wanting to make more money from staff not anything to do with their upcoming results but is about fairness to all GW staff and not just reqarding those who work at HO and UK

seems fair to me...it is still 50% off after all

Killshot
07-04-2007, 14:07
speaking to a friend of mine at GW HO he has said that the reason they have removed the weight discount to UK staff is simple. the discount was only offered to UK staff and not to any of the international staff that GW has and that was unfair to them.

Sorry, this is not true. Plenty of the staff here in the U.S get (or got) the metal by weight.

Jedi152
07-04-2007, 14:12
Bad for GW staff, good for me. 'Cos i was jealous, see?

I bet they'll still whine with the 50% discount. Try buying an army at retail price!

Damien 1427
07-04-2007, 14:23
How much do staff get paid any who?

Redshirts get paid minimum wage, as far as I know. So in Blighty at full time, that's around £12,000 per year (Before tax). Considering my own job involves a lot less work, (I do data entry), is gleefully monotonous, I can listen to whatever I want and not just what head office approves of, I get free hot drinks and water, and get casual Fridays on a semi-regular basis, for £11,500 per year, suddenly the incentive of one of my hobbies being a great deal cheaper is removed.

Thing is, for people bitching that their discount was/is too much, it's crap job. If you've worked retail, especially retail that involves kids/teenagers, you'll understand that there needs to be tasty benefits to keep staff on board, as otherwise they will just up and leave at the first chance. Slashing them, whilst it makes business sense in one way, you end up with a disgruntled workforce. Although one may then argue it needs trimming back anyway.

75hastings69
07-04-2007, 14:34
I kown of several people who are considering leaving thanks to this (well to be honest this is maybe the straw that broke the camels back!).

Angelwing
07-04-2007, 14:45
I'm surprised the weight discount has been kept going so long. Tough luck for the staff. Its a rotten job and they deserved the weight discount. However, 50% is still better than a kick in the teeth.

The Dark One
07-04-2007, 17:25
at least one of the staff at my local is considering leaving as he won't be able to do his hobby anymore. i thik it's wrong what they are going to they're discount

Parka boy
07-04-2007, 17:28
I'm surprised the weight discount has been kept going so long. Tough luck for the staff. Its a rotten job and they deserved the weight discount. However, 50% is still better than a kick in the teeth.

Its not as you can buy brand new GW models cheaper than 50% off on ebay.

FarseerUshanti
07-04-2007, 18:17
I wish I could have a 50% discount consdiering where I work at. At EBGames, we get a traight 15% discount and lets not go into the number of parents who think we are a babysitting shop and just leave their kids in the store while they go off and shop

Bloodknight
07-04-2007, 18:22
But are you expected to own at least 3 of your shops products? AFAIK the redshirts are supposed to have at least one army for every core system (which is a reason I wouldn´t work for them, as I just don´t want to collect Lotr).

JT-Y
07-04-2007, 18:58
Very true...

They were contractualy obliged to own an army for each system.

But, all that aside, its just an aweful way to treat staff who work very hard for GW.
None of them ever expected to be teachers or child minders when they joined, and in any other company they'd be looked after much better for what they do in that respect (they'd recieve some training in teaching techniques for a start, rather than simply being told to 'do it').

I sincerly hope that the company looks towards making improvements in other areas or, as Hastings correctly says, it will be the final straw for many good staffers.

And I can't honestly see how gloating about this will make anyone feel warm and fuzzy inside.

skalthukka
07-04-2007, 19:53
So glad I left the company. As to the comment about the loss if the discount in the UK being so that staff all over the world. They should normalise holidays as well UK staff get 25 days staff in North America got I believe 10 - 15 days, I know this is based around what is normal in each country but even so......

blongbling
07-04-2007, 22:09
well it goes to show....people who know nothing shout the loudest....if people wanna leave the company then thats cool, thier choice. if you are there for the sake of the discount then you aren thte type of people a company would want anyway.

as for people talking about GW being a rotten job, why not start talking to people who have worked for GW more than 6 months and didnt only work in retail, what about thsoe who who have made a career out of it...you guys listen to all the rubbish spoken about gw by ex staff that you cant see past it to see why GW has lots of five and ten year veterans......having friends who have devoted their working lives to working for GW and busting their balls to see it work out makes me mad to see people dissing them all the time and casting off all the hard work that goes on their as "senior managers clawing their way up the ladder"...you guys tend to know nothing about GW if that is what you think the managers at GW are like............*rests for now*

skalthukka
07-04-2007, 22:34
Well I did 5 years there, my feling was the right time to join the company was 10 -15 years ago when it was still smallish and about to expand a lot. But if you want to make a career of it now its all pretty much dead mans shoes, lets face it we all know they are not going to enjoy the periods of massive expansion that they have in the past. I see 10 years of slow growth and consolidation for the company.

Lord Inquisitor
Well, I don't work for GW any more, but this will certainly hurt the staff. While it's true enough that many staff aren't just there for the discount, I know some guys that might take this as the final kick in the balls from GW. And it'll be a shame to lose out on those great staff armies. I remember ordering dozens of eversor assassins purely for the face so I could give skull masks to my kasrkin/inquisitorial stormtroopers.

Still, give it a couple of years and most staff won't have ever known a weight discount. I'd still have joined up to GW for "only" a 50% discount, and I was very happy during my probation when I couldn't use weight. I don't think it will have an effect on the transient staff, but I think it might discourage some of the career staff.

Follower of Zork
That kinder sucks, I feel sorry for the staff.

simonr1978
07-04-2007, 22:37
having friends who have devoted their working lives to working for GW

Five or even ten years does not count as all their working lives, heck even twenty years does not count as all their working lives and I doubt anyone knows any 20 year veterans still wearing a blue-shirt.

Aurellis
07-04-2007, 22:53
Is GW's basic rate to their employee's that bad, really?

Arguably people in the retail sector, which GW staff are part of, get paid bad rates of pay and to find jobs in that sector is a choice...

In my area, Yorkshire UK, how many jobs at call centers are there that pay £7-9.50 p/h? loads. anybody could get a job there easily if they put there minds to it.

Basic rates of pay at other retail stores in Yorkshire UK:
KFC - Under 21s £4.45, Over 21s £5.35
TK Maxx - Under 18s £5.45, Over 18s 5.75
McDonalds - Under 21s £5.05, Over 21s 5.50
Topshop - Under 18s 5.05, Over 18s ?

...And that's just a selection from my high street

If people go for a job at GW they need to understand that rates of pay in retail are bad and if it wont be enough to support them then theyll need to look for jobs elsewhere.

Back onto the main point of the topic though, while GW does pay equivalent rates to other jobs in the sector this does not make up for the fact that staff need to have 3 full fully painted armies. As this is part of the job description it is my belief that GW should GIVE the staff the models, even if it is on loan until they leave, GW still have a right to provide staff with the necesarry equipment to carry out there job.

Tsen
08-04-2007, 01:51
I've spent some time at my local GW on busy days, for most of the day a few times, at let me tell you, you could not pay me enough to deal with all those idiot kids who feel compelled to talk about every aspect of theyre lives to the shirts, I've had a couple of them offer me free stuff if I can get the kids to leave, and mine way of getting people to leave some where was generally frowned apon by police so I had to decline. I know that one shirt in perticular has called kids parents and told them to come get theyre kids cause theyre not aloud to stay there anymore they get so fed up with them. If it wasn't for all them bloody kids it be fine, and I worked at a gas station at the time, and I started to like my job alot more. Thankfully now I'm an apprentice carpenter and making ALOT more. But on the note of staffers should be provided with product for the manditory armies, in other jobs, mine in perticular, your expected to provide your own tools, just like staffers get theyre own armies. Ok my little tiff is done, go back to your more structured conversation ppl nothing to see here.

Tsen Out

Bael
08-04-2007, 01:51
Very true...

They were contractualy obliged to own an army for each system.

Not true. They are not even required to know how to play each system, let alone own an army for each one, or even how to paint. Only exception to this is Warhammer World staff.

Captain Brown
08-04-2007, 06:24
Once again, people are posting all sorts of pointless circle arguments and since it got heated we have been called in. It has resulted in several warnings and some suspensions. Please, always take a moment to consider your post before you hit reply.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition

The Ape
08-04-2007, 11:08
Not true. They are not even required to know how to play each system, let alone own an army for each one, or even how to paint. Only exception to this is Warhammer World staff.

In the UK all retail staff are expected to know the basic rules - so they can give intro games - and have an army for each system.

Whether they do or not, is another matter, but they are expected to. My LOTR army was always a "work-in-progress" :angel:

Horus84
08-04-2007, 11:10
Right, this is my first time post on Warseer but I read the forums often. Though after reading this thread I felt compelled to voice my thoughts. Firstly, 90% of the post I have read one these forums tend to be about just a few things (please note, I have no wish to offend anyone. I just want to try and inform the community here about how alot of gamers I know view Warseers posters) Posters often, Comment of things they don't know (or certinally come across that way in there wordings). They very often like to moan and gripe and most regular bitch about GW without any real thought when it comes to the real world.

Now, people may not like thoese comments, but that is just how it come across to an outsider.

So with that out the way I would now like to clear a few things up about the loss of staff discout etc... These are facts! and not half truths or myths I am about to list.

1. GW retail stafff are paid in equal line with other front line retail jobs that is £11500 a year before Tax. Wage per hour is above the minium wage by a bit.

2. Staff are and have never been contractically fixed to own a fully painted army for every core system - that ladies and gentlemen is a myth. However, given the job role having a knowlege of all three systems and owning armies is generally going to be a plus when applying for a job!

3. Staff weight discount is been removed for mayjor one reason and one mayjor reason only. That is to bring the UK part of the business inline with the rest of the world so all staff are treated equally accross the company.

4. The second reason is so Euro Direct (GW distribution Hub) will have better control over stock levels as staff orders often mess up the system that is place for direct sales, which has an impact on all customers (staff and regular). This will allow all customers to get orders quicker

5. Due to the wiegth systems being overly complicted and not consitant across different ranges the 50% discount will be applied across all products now including thoese brought in from China (usally charged as full price) and possibly even forgeworld, rather than the current 20% (this is not yet clear as forgeworld is part of GW now but has never change)

proximity
08-04-2007, 13:31
Pretty sure the low pay (which is on par for retail work, not lower than average at all - just low compared to a real job) is offset by getting to paint, play with and spend the rest of the time selling toy soldiers. Half the time those customers are friends, and its not exactly overly hard having to put up with semi annoying kids the rest of the time.

I know our local store has at least an hour (it might be 2 I cant remember) where it is mandatory for them to play. Ontop of that they have a set amount they have to paint each week - with more than adequate time supplied during work hours.
If you dont enjoy those things then you're in the wrong job - but its definatly better than a normal job.

The mammoth discount ontop of that is just to give back a bit to their staff really, and of course help create loyalty. 50% is huge, and the weight system was a bit rediculous really (especially if there are staff buying in weight just to sell on ebay). But if any staff arnt happy with that then they should go get some qualifications and get a job that pays twice as much - then its like having a 50% discount on real life.

blongbling
08-04-2007, 14:37
[QUOTE=proximity;1452098]

The mammoth discount ontop of that is just to give back a bit to their staff really, and of course help create loyalty. 50% is huge, and the weight system was a bit rediculous really (especially if there are staff buying in weight just to sell on ebay). QUOTE]

its actually aginst the rules of GW for staff to do this and is considered gross misconduct and would result in sacking.

Flame
08-04-2007, 15:25
My life, a whole post where I agree with mr huge :eek:

Tesco for instance do not have a provision for their full time staff to work most weekends.

Except this :eyebrows:, having worked there for 6 years and starting their graduate program I wish this were the case :p

The game is afoot
08-04-2007, 15:45
My niece works there and after reading her contract, she is not obliged to do any weekends, let alone most or all weekends. (Thats why I chose that particular company)
Then again she is not looking for advancement in that line of career.

I apologise if the vast bulk of my post was unnervingly agreeable to you.:D

Horus84
08-04-2007, 17:03
A bit. Very factually accurate, to what do use to measure this ... bit?
Since you imply having workded for GW then I am sure you will know that full time staff are employed to work 40hrs a week (like must people in work) so you can work out the pay for hr, which is £5.52 which is above min wage by a bit

Not the part timers thats for sure. They are on minimum wage.
As with most retail companies

You have forgotten to mention that full time staff MUST work weekends, that is not in line with other retail chains stores, outlets.
as another poster has mentioned that is simple not true

Part timers have been slashed across the board so full timers have to fulfil those extra hours lost.
OH, right when GW got rid of all staff that were not needed for the hours that did not need filling.

Now you are spouting the company line here, this is not the only reason and extremely 'unlikely' to be the major reason/motivation either.
And you have proof to the contray?

Weight discount has been the sole carrot for GW potential retail staff candidates for the longest time, over 20 years in fact.
Apart from doing a job you enjoy or your good at?. Because I bet the people that work the tills at tesco do it for their discount :o

Weight has been available to American staff it's not just about the UK at all.
I did not dispute that. But not all arms of GW get the same discount. Hence the standardisation. Don't you think it is unfair that one person get a differant discount just becasue thye work in a different country?

The real reason that the weight discount is disappearing is that GW are hurting from the massive second hand eBay sales and they are looking to minimise the loss through that avenue.
So really it is an attack on you since you sell on Ebay? Even though you don't work for the company anymore.

They come in on the same delivery as the general stock and are little if any impediment to any deliveries whatsoever.
It will have no impact at all on the speed customers receive their deliveries. That is an outright lie.
Try talking to a direct order guy an he will tell you a different story.

Customer mail orders that go to the store of their choice arrive with general deliveries on the regular delivery timescale, customer mail orders that go to their home costs the custoemr more but trades off in that it takes less time. Nothing will change here.
Apart from the fact that it often take much much longer to pick a staff mail order over a customer one due to the amount of compoent order. The picker pick in the order they are in the pile. Staff orders don't get seperated out. So I can see how it will effect the system

Stock control in store is a complete and total shambles, it is not computerised, never has been as yet and takes in next to no account of damaged goods and materials used in store projects.
Check any stores Known Loss record book and it will be missing all sorts of material not including shoplifting which has been on the rise across the board with the constant price hikes of the last 5 years.
Stocktaking is a most arcane process in GW stores.
And this has something to do with.....Discount how?

Forgeworld will NEVER be 50% to staff, you are breaching the boundaries of the ridiculous.
Not from what I was discusing with a staff member - at the moment it is unknown. They are going to find out off their area manager on Tuesday.

LotR has never been available by weight because it's a franchise
Apart from since they made loads of metal compoent available for all customers that are now on weight. Plastic are not though

FW has never been available by weight because it's a separate unit, specialist games like Warmaster come in stands/units so they are not conducive to weight,
That can obviously never change because it has been written in stone from the begining of time.... Give me a break

You (Horus) have neglected to mention that GW still makes money out of staff weight discounts, they don't do it for free, they do not lose money on it either...
Again talk to a mail order guy and he tell you a long tale of how they don't make much money on staff sales and can often make a loss.

promote the game.
Something that is correct - yes staff have had discount because it promote the hobby to customers :cool:

An unfortunate medium term spin off for this is GW retail staff will not own as many armies in different systems and will correspondingly have less accurate information to impart to the customers.
and why would that be oh informed one. It is not like all stores get sent copies of army book etc.. to read in advance of the realease. No no

chech
08-04-2007, 17:32
The game is afoot seems to have said it.

It's all about the money and ebay if you ask me.

I went to a job interview at Cardiff GW and was told that I would need at least one army in each game. I couldn't take the job because they were offering a 0hr contract.

Supermarkets normaly ask you what hours you can work (on the application form) before hiring you and "The game is afoot "is right most of there full timers don't work on weekends.