PDA

View Full Version : Football Manager 2005 ruined my life!

Cade
31-07-2005, 01:14
When I subscribed to my football team's website, I recieved a free copy of Football Manager 2005.

As a result, I now never leave the house and spend every spare waking hour playing matches, scouting new players and developing the perfect training regime.

FM2005 also brings on black rages whenever I get beaten by a worse team and I have caught myself actually shouting at my virtual players at times.

Are there any other people who have been trapped by this hideously perfect game?

Rabid Bunny 666
31-07-2005, 02:04
nope, don't like football games. and the first time i played one, one of my players walked round in a circle and was sent off with a red :wtf:

Bubble Ghost
31-07-2005, 05:12
I resisted playing it too much; it's still on my shelf but I haven't got through a season yet. The previous one, however, Championship Manager 03/04, destroyed my life to the extent that I won the UEFA Cup two years on the trot with Bristol Rovers. That takes some doing.

Cade
31-07-2005, 15:24
I am fearing the imminent release of FM2006.

Vberg
31-07-2005, 17:45
A yes im right with you on this one sir.

I had the same experience with Total Club Manager 2004. Its when you utter the phrase "ill just play this match then its of to bed," you know its got you. I got so addicted i forgot to feed my mums goldfish while dad and her were on holiday, result was one dead goldfish. "Electronic Arts you killed my mums goldfish, YOU BASTARDS!".

Shuya
01-08-2005, 00:10
i concure, i havent installed Cm05 (sitting on my desk) because I like to see the sun now an again

Cade
01-08-2005, 00:25
*junkie update*

Just beat Galatasaray in the last group match of the UEFA Cup 5-4 after being 4-0 up after only 12 minutes.

Now, somehow, I have to face them again in the next round.

Venomizer
01-08-2005, 00:57
FM is extremely addictive, this along with LMA Manager 2005 is ruling my games time

anyway FM wise, I've just finished my 2nd season with newcastle by winning the champions league beating AC Milan 4 - 2

alberto gilardino has proved one hell of a signing for me :D

Wiseman
01-08-2005, 05:11
just finished my 8th season of CM4, 6 championsleague trophies and 1 UEFA cup, 5 Super Cups, 6 Premiership titles with Newcastle, Mido, best investment i made. Which teams website did ya sign up with, i want to signup so i get a free copy.

hairyman
01-08-2005, 10:23
This series of games is to blame for so much...

I haven't hammered FM05 as much as I used to hammer the CM games (Hartlepool United in the champions league....), but it still consumed me for a good few months. Years ago a friend and I used to write off whole months to sit and do battle over the electronic dugoout. Did you know CM has been cited in divorce courts as the reason for marraiges splitting up?

My main problem with FM is the training... I never really seem to hit on any superb training routine, and find it a bit of a chore sorting it all out. I also struggle to hit the same success overall with the game as I did with CM (4-1-3-2 won me everything), which is a good thing, I suppose.

Anyone know when FM06 is going to be out?

Vberg
01-08-2005, 11:03
Once when i was playing with Newcastle in my first season in the prem the board gave me a target was to finish 5th place. I finished second, won the FA cup, the league cup and got to the champions league final losing only on penalties, despite this i was sacked! Now i know how Bobby Robson felt being sacked by Barcalona (well not quite).

Damn you Cade! i feel the urge to play again. :(

Wiseman
01-08-2005, 13:28
i was sacked from crystal palace in the second season in one of my games after i got them promoted

Crube
01-08-2005, 13:41
I had a similar problem with Total Club manager. I've uninstalled it now, but i frequently was playing til 3 or 4 in the morning, and still getting up at 630 for work the next day...

Ophidian
01-08-2005, 13:50
I resisted playing it too much; it's still on my shelf but I haven't got through a season yet. The previous one, however, Championship Manager 03/04, destroyed my life to the extent that I won the UEFA Cup two years on the trot with Bristol Rovers. That takes some doing.

(Hartlepool United in the champions league....)

See those, raise you 10 consecutive Premierships with the indestructible Woking FC...

hairyman
01-08-2005, 13:54
See those, raise you 10 consecutive Premierships with the indestructible Woking FC...

lol.. won the premier league with Blyth Spartans (my old man's favourite team) once, but I did bump them up into the conference with a million quid to get me started.

Might just have to re-install this when I get home.....

....obvious player tip for FM, get Freddy Adu when he's 14 or 15. He turns into a world beater. More obscure player recommendations welcome.

Cade
01-08-2005, 19:13
Hmm.....Freddy Adu...*makes devious note*

DaViEsW
01-08-2005, 23:49
FM06 is out in November, 12th I believe.

Not played it for quite some time, - gets boring, furthest I've got is 2013. I think it was with Arsenal, my chairman decided he was a bigshot and bought some players himself, landing the club in receivership. Idiot.

hairyman
02-08-2005, 09:31
Cade, you're a bad bad man. I started a new game last night for the first time in ages.

Wiseman
02-08-2005, 15:20
i installed CM4 again, its your fault Cade

Cade
02-08-2005, 19:21
Sorry guys.........but you have to admits it's damned good fun, isn't it?!

One more match before bed..........okay maybe I'll keep playing until the transfer window opens.....

DaViEsW
02-08-2005, 22:33
Haha, I know that feeling. "Just three more weeks until the transfer window opens!". :D

Lardidar
02-08-2005, 22:40
Alexadre Kerzakov (not spelt right) Goal monster - 2m - Kept RVN and Saha out of my Man U game.

Freddy Guarin - 1m - Midfield General, 19yr old

hairyman
03-08-2005, 11:20
@ Lardidar.. noted :D

So for some reason I decided to play Darlington when I started up again. No money, a small squad, and odds on favourites for relegation to the conference. The majority of my team have stats which are all the wrong side of 10, and my best players are two 34 year old strikers (Alun Armstrong and Clive Wijnhart!) who get knackered after 45 mins.

I signed Paul Gascoigne on a free and he broke his leg in the first friendly he played.

Players from Southend Utd won't lower themselves to come on loan.

It's going to be a long, long season.......

Cade
03-08-2005, 19:17
I've always found the game to be alot more fun and more satisfying if you pick a team near the bottom of the best league, or even a team in the second division.

Vberg
03-08-2005, 23:18
I only play as one team, Newcastle United, the team i support. At least in football managment games the Toon dont have an allergy to silverware :( .

hairyman
04-08-2005, 09:50
Well, I normally play as Spurs, as that's who I support. I then normally go for either Sheffield Wednesday (I live 5 mins away from Hillsborough) or some bankrupt lower league team, just for the challenge.

Was playing last night while building high elves... my god Darlington are crap. After selling several players I now have a mighty transfer budget of 150. My only hope is to finsish mid table then rebuild the side through free transfers in the summer.....

edit: happy birthday vberg :D