PDA

View Full Version : ogre mercenaries

inq.serge
06-04-2007, 19:36
I heard that OK mercs in DoW lists counts sas special slots (Maneaters wooohoooo!). Is this true, and where is that written?

DarthBinky
06-04-2007, 19:39
The generic ogres from the DOW list count as Specials (edit: only in the DOW army- in other armies, they count as whatever slot DOW units count as, which is usually Rare).

The merc ogre units from the Ogre Kingdoms book count as Rares (or two rares, in the case of Maneaters).

Festus
06-04-2007, 19:42
Nonsense; All possible Ogre units count as special slots in DoW armies. This includes Manhunters.

It is in the Ogre Army Book, go and read!

Festus

DarthBinky
06-04-2007, 19:46
yeah my bad. I misunderstood the OP's question.

In all other armies that can take them, OK units count as Rares (or two for Manhunters).

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 19:50
Yes your right a DoW army can take maneaters, ironguts and bulls as special choices (along with the cheaper DoW ogres) and its written in the OK book.

Maneaters are a little overpriced for OK (90pts and a rare no thanks) but about right for DoW as they are the only way to have a mobile st7 hitter and work best as singles counter charging heavy cavalry and chariots.

TheWarSmith
06-04-2007, 20:12
wait, so maneaters are rare in OK armies, but special in DoW armies?

That seems a bit goofy, but I guess it makes sense w/ the fluff as the idea behind them is that they're travelling mercenaries, right?

inq.serge
06-04-2007, 20:54
That seems a bit goofy, but I guess it makes sense w/ the fluff as the idea behind them is that they're travelling mercenaries, right?

They can be seen as a DoW unit whose rules are printed in the OK book, if that's easier to understand.

dominic_carrillo
06-04-2007, 21:43
do the Dogs of War ogres bull charge or have ogre beatsticks? probably not.

TheWarSmith
06-04-2007, 22:04
no, ONLY the ogres from OK book have those special rules.

dominic_carrillo
06-04-2007, 22:13
ehhhh... then besides beign cheaper, is there any reason to take DOW fatties?

Bloodknight
06-04-2007, 22:17
Not really. You can build some cheapskate Ironguts with them (3 guys with great weapons and champion 133 points). They donīt get Bull Charge, Heavy armour or LD8 and so are worse than Ironguts.
The DoW ogre command units are cheaper, though.

Parka boy
06-04-2007, 22:32
I think the addition of OK ogres really made a big difference to the things you can do with a DoW list.

I normally choose Ironguts over the normal DoW ogres as I can give them the warbanner and the extra pip of LD and save is well worth the extra few points. I normally forget the bull charge or fail to wound so I don't count that :) I find 4 Ironguts with the warbanner make a really good unit.

lparigi34
07-04-2007, 00:35
They can be seen as a DoW unit whose rules are printed in the OK book, if that's easier to understand.

Nicely said, you made clearer to understand the allocation of Maneaters, being a DoW Ogre they take:
1 Special if DoW
1 Rare if Ogre
2 Rares other viable armies...

just wanted to overemphasize it...:cool:

Crazy Harborc
07-04-2007, 00:56
The Ogre lead belchers work nicely in a DoW army:mad: :mad: TOO darn nicely some battles!!! Mumble, mumble...."Gee harry, this IS the first time I pushed a DoW army". He had two units of 4 and one of 3. Two units of them ate a 24 spears unit of my Empire army today. Lead belch THAT!!!

I did manage a minor victory.......4 X 10 handgunners, 3 X 10 crossbows, a hellblaster AND 2 mortars can do that....sometimes. Whispering now....did I mention the 10 pistoliers and the 8 outriders??:D

inq.serge
07-04-2007, 10:19
ehhhh... then besides beign cheaper, is there any reason to take DOW fatties?

Golgfag Anyone?

They're worse and cheeper, but their champ is more or less a brusier. And only 1 Special slot.

lparigi34
07-04-2007, 16:07
Ugly models...:p