PDA

View Full Version : Question about Characters and Close Combat

Rodman49
07-04-2007, 05:59
Alright I have a question about characters in close combat . . .

Question: If a unit causes five wounds to a unit that is five models wide but the attacked unit has a character (hero/lord) in the front rank how are wounds allocated? Are wounds only allocated to the back troops and spill into the back rank or do the wounds spill onto the hero, or are the wounds wasted?

Example: Let's say a unit of 5 Chosen Chaos Knight attacks a unit of 19 skeletons with a Wight Lord (5 wide). No challenges are issued. Lets say the Knights kill 6 skeletons. How are these wounds allocated?

A) Wounds are allocated on the skeletons only, even if they spill into the second rank. The Wight Lord is left to attack back in the front rank.
B) Wounds are allocated on the skeletons only, even if they spill into the second rank. The Wight Lord is moved into the second rank and not able to attack back.
C) Wounds are allocated to the skeletons on the front rank first then allocated to the Wight Lord. Thus the Wight Lord would take 2 wounds and make an appropriate armor save.
D) Wait, you fail at life; you should have rolled each attack individually until all the skeletons are dead then start rolling attacks against the Wight Lord since he has both a different WS and T.

Thx in advance, I haven't bought BfSP yet so I wasn't sure if things have changed since 6th, I'm thinking D is the answer but it seems like it considerably slows down game flow. The answer is pretty important for my army composition of some 500 pt warbands I want to buy.

Falkman
07-04-2007, 06:52
The right answer is A).
You have to allocate attacks to characters or champions to wound them (unless they're the only thing left) and if you do not kill them they will get to strike back, even though you might have killed off two ranks worth of models.

Kotobuki
07-04-2007, 07:08
Note, only a Unit Champion will be killed by killing all the models in a unit. The only way to Kill a Character in combat is to specifically attack the character.

Festus
07-04-2007, 07:22
Hi

Note, only a Unit Champion will be killed by killing all the models in a unit.
Yes, correct. Remember that you have to kill the whole UNIT to hurt him, if you didn't attack him specifically. Just erasing the front rank will not finish the champion, nor the Musician and/or the standard.

Festus

Rodman49
07-04-2007, 08:01
Ok, so let me get this right . . .

In combat I need to . . .

1) Allocate attacks to characters from the attacks available of my models in base to base with the target character or champion.
2) Allocate attacks to rest of unit.
3) Roll attacks and wounds against characters/champions. Overkill wounds are wasted (not like challenge).
4) Roll attacks and wounds against troops. Overkill wounds carry over to back ranks.

*Think I've been playing to much 40k, after realizing this I immediately thought no more powerfist sergeants of doom! yay!

Rodman49
07-04-2007, 08:07
Yes, correct. Remember that you have to kill the whole UNIT to hurt him, if you didn't attack him specifically. Just erasing the front rank will not finish the champion, nor the Musician and/or the standard.

Wait, why aren't the musician and standard moved to the second rank? Does that mean a unit with full command will always attack back with 3 models? I thought they the guys simply picked up their gear but that they still died?

Festus
07-04-2007, 08:29
Hi

Yes, the troopers die, but the Standard and the Musician will be in effect still. They will not be able to attack back, though, unlike the champion, who functions very much like a character in this respect.

Festus

Crazy Harborc
07-04-2007, 20:50
Other troops in a unit pick up the musician"s instrument and or the standard of the unit. It just saves time and keeps it simple to use the same minies that have the drum/horn/standard in their hands.;)

MLP
08-04-2007, 19:16
So any model in base contact with the champion has to declare they are attacking him? haha we always played with champions like a standard or musician. but if the front rank was wiped out he didnt attack. whoops

Crazy Harborc
09-04-2007, 00:00
Yeah, we tried that too when 6th Edition first came out. After not too long a period we went along with GW's updates in allowing the unit champion and or added characters fight back as long as they are not killed before doing so in a given round of HtH.

Arnizipal
09-04-2007, 00:24
So any model in base contact with the champion has to declare they are attacking him? haha we always played with champions like a standard or musician. but if the front rank was wiped out he didnt attack. whoops
What would be your reasoning behind that? A trooper in the second rank picks up the dead champion's extra attack? ;) :p

MLP
09-04-2007, 09:10
What would be your reasoning behind that? A trooper in the second rank picks up the dead champion's extra attack? ;) :p

Heh that made me laugh! We never even really thought about it, it just happened. Everyone i can think of played like it. Mass Stupidity is awesome!