PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tanks

larabic
07-04-2007, 11:24
Lately i have had a few gamers in my group that have been using steam tanks alot, where i play dwarfs i really dont have a problem with this considering i drop a rock on it and it doesnt do much after that. But how do other armies deal with them?

Wood Elves, Lizard men, High Elves seem to have the most trouble with them. These are 1500 -2000 pt games so resources are kinda limited. I dont know these armies well so i am looking for any advice i can pass on to them, thanks!

Atrahasis
07-04-2007, 13:11
Wood Elves should have little trouble - either hit it with treekin/treeman or just dance around in terrain where it can't touch them, throwing any spare missiles/spells in its direction and concentrating on it once everything else is dead.

Lizardmen can pull a similar stunt, and can go one better with the JSoD and a Slann slinging Lore of Metal spells at it. Stegadon Giant Bows should leave a mark as well.

High Elves should have the least trouble. Bolt Throwers and Seer honour (lore of metal again).

Remember that you can disable a Steam Tank pretty effectively by just causing 2 or 3 wounds on it. Once that's done, concentrate on killing the rest of the army and come back to the Steam Tank.

Da Black Gobbo
08-04-2007, 12:15
Remember Wood elves can move a forest and put it on the tank so it will be disabled (can't move thru difficult terrain).

DeathlessDraich
08-04-2007, 13:00
Tree singing cannot move woods into enemy units unfortunately.

I watched dwarves destroy a Stank with 2 Bolt throwers (S7) and 1 cannon in just 2 rounds of shooting - and this included a cannon misfire and rolling a 2 for D6 wounds.

I think 12 Poisoned Wind Globadiers could probably do it in 5 rounds or so.

Screaming Evil
08-04-2007, 15:01
What about undead? how would they deal with one?

Da Black Gobbo
08-04-2007, 15:25
What about undead? how would they deal with one?

With a Crazy Vampire of the Red dragon's with a 2 Handed weapon on a Flying monster.

Well tree singing could place a forest in the front of the tank forcing it to round and loose turns walking arround.

Voltaire
08-04-2007, 17:10
In theory, the best way for the undead to kill a steam tank is to use Banshees to wail it to death, or try and use the Casket of Ages to knock the tank out in one go.

Necrothrall
08-04-2007, 17:50
just throw a unit of zombies in front of it, and top them up regularly, that should wear it down eventually

Tuna
08-04-2007, 18:33
Undead just raises some zombies and charge and the tank will be there for almost the entire game...

Ganymede
08-04-2007, 18:39
A steam tank can blow through zombies at a rate you wouldn't believe. At tip top condition, the beast can easily slay ten zombies in its own phase. That's enough killing power to chew up eighteen zombies when combat results are factored in.

Necrothrall
08-04-2007, 19:17
oh yeah, I forgot it could shoot in combat,

a spirit host might be better suited

scarletsquig
08-04-2007, 19:44
Tomb kings are the only army I've played that have had some serious problems with it.

Skitter-Squeek
09-04-2007, 08:12
I hate steam tanks with a passion... there is one gamer in our group who uses steam tanks and his army consists of Kurt Helborg with 10 knights then like 2 groups of outriders two units of knights two mortars and two steam tanks... its rediculous. I am almost to say that it is the cheesiest list I have ever played against.

SKitter Squeek

Da Black Gobbo
09-04-2007, 09:02
well boy your "friend" list is horrible, very very very difficult even to draw a game against it, i think dwarfs could beat it but it will be hard, 2 cannons, two insta hitting cannons (organo was the name) 2 units of 12 dwarf handgunners, and a strong line of iron breakers and heavy infantry, i think the best unit to beat a tank in the game are the slayers, allways wound on 4+
and 2 attacks each one, 20 slayers can eat a tank in 2 turns.

Voltaire
09-04-2007, 11:10
As far as Tomb Kings go, wouldn't the Casket of Souls be the best weapon against a Steam Tank?

Archaon
09-04-2007, 12:43
The special rules state that only spells with a strength can damage a Steam Tank.. all other spells and effects are ignored.

RAW Nazis however might argue that Incantations aren't spells and as such could affect the Steam Tank.

DeathlessDraich
09-04-2007, 17:52
Casket of Souls counts as a bound spell and therefore would not affect the Steam Tank.
Hand of Dust also cannot affect the Steam Tank - discussed in the Rules forum.
Similarly the effects of Frost Blade would be wasted on the Steam Tank.

I personally feel the Empire player with a weakened Steam Tank would be more worried about Zombies charging it than the Undead player fretting over the Steam tank.

Atrahasis
09-04-2007, 18:00
In theory, the best way for the undead to kill a steam tank is to use Banshees to wail it to death, or try and use the Casket of Ages to knock the tank out in one go.The Banshee's Wail can't hurt the STank, as it is Immune to Psych, being Unbreakable. The Casket can't either as it is a spell with no known strength.

A steam tank can blow through zombies at a rate you wouldn't believe. At tip top condition, the beast can easily slay ten zombies in its own phase. That's enough killing power to chew up eighteen zombies when combat results are factored in.

You're exaggerating. 10 zombies is the AVERAGE if the steam tank uses all of its available points to grind in combat. A ranked unit of zombies should only lose a further 5 or 6 from combat resolution, and then has an entire turn's reprieve to regenerate through magic. Keep the unit topped up to 20+ models and the tank isn't going anywhere.

Zombies only need to buy you enough time to position your Vampire to charge or your Necromancers to zap.

a spirit host might be better suitedBingo. 3 bases and the Tank is stuck indefinitely.

The special rules state that only spells with a strength can damage a Steam Tank.. all other spells and effects are ignored.

RAW Nazis however might argue that Incantations aren't spells and as such could affect the Steam Tank.

Incantations are spells. My TK book has gone wandering (as it does when my brother visits) but i'm pretty sure that is stated somewhere.

White consul
09-04-2007, 18:12
Few ways of killing tank.
1) Empire and orks have a magic blade that needs only to hit and no armour saves are made, so you just need to come in base contact with the tank and it will have as many wounds as this character has attacks. Simply:D
2) Beasts also have some tricks to kill steam tank. First is ofcourse the bonecrusher mase, that doubles users strength against tank. Strenght 10 is not a joke. Well ofcours dragon ogres with great weapon can help too.
3) Well I dont realy know if it works but still... The spell pitt of shades that needs the (I) test has a spesial rule, that negates all targets spesial rules. If it is so then the tank is killed as it allways fails the (I) test...

Any way the best way to dissable tank is to putt at least 4 wounds on it, that will make the steam poin generatig a real problem.

PS: sorry for spelling I am from Ukraine and it is not an english speaking country.

Maelx
09-04-2007, 18:58
A good solid hit from a screaming skull catapult and you are good to go with that thing's steam points crippled.

The only other things that can really put some hurt on it are:
1. Ushatbi
2. Bone Giant
3. A tomb king/prince

pcgamer72
09-04-2007, 19:25
I watched dwarves destroy a Stank with 2 Bolt throwers (S7) and 1 cannon in just 2 rounds of shooting - and this included a cannon misfire and rolling a 2 for D6 wounds.

I'm pretty sure Dwarf cannons only do D3 wounds. Silly Empire chaps get the better one!

stashman
09-04-2007, 20:54
O&G use this:

Mork Wants Ya! (1d6 S10 hits)
Wollopas one hit wunda (heroes A with S10)

larabic
09-04-2007, 21:37
Orcs can just use a giant with thump with club just as easy...D6 wounds straight out.

larabic
09-04-2007, 21:38
I'm pretty sure Dwarf cannons only do D3 wounds. Silly Empire chaps get the better one!

Yea they do D3 wounds unless they have a master engineer then they do D6

Ganymede
13-04-2007, 05:22
You're exaggerating. 10 zombies is the AVERAGE if the steam tank uses all of its available points to grind in combat. A ranked unit of zombies should only lose a further 5 or 6 from combat resolution, and then has an entire turn's reprieve to regenerate through magic. Keep the unit topped up to 20+ models and the tank isn't going anywhere.

be aware that when I said it could kill up to 18 zombies on average, I was saying that a steamtank would, on average, kill a unit of 18 zombies with a banner. I wasn't trying to imply that the tank would kill 18 skeletons in a block of 25 or something like that.

Such means the strategy of summoning a unit of zombies to bog it down wouldn't be too efficient as the tank can plow through such smaller units.

VampireOfKhorne
13-04-2007, 14:29
Everyone Has access to DoW cannons, a shot or 2 can cripple the Stank.

DoW ogres (or whatever your armies ogres are, ushabti, krozigors, etc...) with GWs will make a mess of the tank if they can manage a charge.

If your army has bolt throwers then a few rounds of shooting will also put it out of the game.

Basically just try to take a few wounds off it early, then ignore it until the rest of his army is dead.

I hate steam tanks with a passion... there is one gamer in our group who uses steam tanks and his army consists of Kurt Helborg with 10 knights then like 2 groups of outriders two units of knights two mortars and two steam tanks... its rediculous. I am almost to say that it is the cheesiest list I have ever played against.

Wow, that sounds pretty familiar, there's a guy at our club that does just that. Every game he has some cheezed up special character and a million inner circle knights. Fortunately he's stopped using the Stank every since 7th, it's no longer nearly as broken as it was.