PDA

View Full Version : Lahmia Vampire Counts

Screaming Evil
08-04-2007, 14:45
Hey all, I'm working on a Vampire Counts army, specifically Lahmia vampires. I've drafted the below list up for my 2000pts games and was wondering what you guys think? Now before you read the list i just want to say that i don't want to make some torniment heavy win list, i'm not interested in that. This list is just for friendly games against mates.

Vampire Countess Isabella - Cost: 358pts
Hand Weapon
mounted on a Barded Nightmare
Level 2 Wizard
Crown of the Damned
Domination
Innocence Lost

Wight Lord Kurz - Cost: 130pts
Wight Blade
Lance
Heavy armour
Sword of Kings
Cursed Shield of Mousillion

Necromancer - Cost: 145pts
Hand Weapon
Level 2
Staff of Damnation

Necromancer - Cost: 150pts
Hand Weapon
Level 2
Book of Arkan
Dispel Scroll

20 Skeletons with full command - Cost: 225pts
Hand Weapon, shield, light armour

8 Ghouls with Ghast - Cost: 74pts

6 Dire Wolves with Doom Wolf - Cost: 70pts

8 Black Knights with full command - Cost: 284pts
Equipment: Hand Weapon, lance, heavy armour, shield, mounted on barded nightmares, Screaming Banner

20 Grave Guard with full command - Cost: 335pts
Equipment: Wight Blades, heavy armour, shields, Banner of the Barrows

Total: 1996pts

What do you think? Any input is appriciated.

EvC
08-04-2007, 16:01
Looks like a pretty solid list, a bit different for a change which makes a difference! Only very minor criticism is you might want to add another Ghoul, just so they have less chance of running away if they take two casualties in one turn.

Necrothrall
08-04-2007, 18:03
Its a good list. Only you wight lord isn't legal. You can't take a lance and a magic weapon, ie the sword of kings. I'd drop the lance and use the points to buy another ghoul as the guy above suggested.

MalusCalibur
08-04-2007, 18:36
The Wight Lord is perfectly legal: although while he has the Sword of Kings he can't USE the Lance, he is allowed to carry it (in case his magic weapon gets broken/negated etc).

Now, my thoughts on this list:

Vampire Countess Isabella - Cost: 358pts
Hand Weapon
Level 2 Wizard
Crown of the Damned
Domination
Innocence Lost

Lahmian Bloodline powers (more specifically, the Ld test-based ones) are an all or nothing affair-take lots or take none. I say none. Go with Quickblood and Innocence Lost, grab her a Sword of Might, and put her in an infantry unit. If you're on a steed it's much more likely that you'll get the charge and thus would be wasting Innocence Lost.

Wight Lord Kurz - Cost: 130pts
Wight Blade
Lance
Heavy armour
Sword of Kings
Cursed Shield of Mousillion

Again, lose the steed. The Sword of Kings is utter gold, but the Cursed Shield is crap. Grab the Enchanted Shield instead for an incredibly cheap and yet potent combat character, to beef up another infantry block.

Necromancer - Cost: 145pts
Hand Weapon
Level 2
Staff of Damnation

Excellent.

Necromancer - Cost: 150pts
Hand Weapon
Level 2
Book of Arkan
Dispel Scroll

Excellent! Identical to my own Necromancers.

Skeleton blocks end up costing you a fortune for a unit that needn't. Start them at 10 and raise them during the game to get them up to combat strength. For this reason I'd only take one block. Your infantry should really be large blocks (20-25) of Zombies. Cheaper and much easier to raise, which is what you want to do. Put your combat characters in them to give them the killing power they lack.

8 Ghouls with Ghast - Cost: 74pts

I'd take a ninth Ghoul instead of the Ghast.

6 Dire Wolves with Doom Wolf - Cost: 70pts

Lose the Doom Wolf. Otherwise great. Consider another unit of the same.

8 Black Knights with full command - Cost: 284pts
Equipment: Hand Weapon, lance, heavy armour, shield, mounted on barded nightmares, Screaming Banner

The classic trap. You made a large unit of Black Knights and planned to put both characters into it (making it ten strong), right? Unfortunately, a shockingly common mistake. A unit of that nature is a huge points sink and can be easily avoided and flanked. Also, consider that you would only need to take ONE casualty to render your back rank worthless (and thus a waste of 115pts!). A unit like Black Knights (powerful, but expensive and [most importantly] NOT raiseable) works in a support role, not a 'charge headlong at them' role. A unit of five or six is more than enough. Lose the Screaming Banner, too: the only worthwhile banners for Black Knights are the Banner of the Barrows or just a War Banner.

20 Grave Guard with full command - Cost: 335pts
Equipment: Wight Blades, heavy armour, shields, Banner of the Barrows

Too many. Elite infantry should have a maximum size of 15 to keep cost to a minimum. Otherwise fine though. The Wight Lord could be dangerous in here (with the BotB), but I'd keep him in a Zombie unit as they need his killing power more.

With the points you will inevitably free up, consider some Banshees as well: they are what VC Rare slots were made for.

MalusCalibur

vampires are cool!
08-04-2007, 20:20
This is a really well constructed list, and as mentioned before a very nice change to the good old Blood Dragon cavelry heavy lists.
Other than what everyone else has said, i can find no fault - what are your chosen tactics?