PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves: Best Unit

Rider-Of-Kurnous
08-04-2007, 19:38
hi im wondering wat i ought to take in a 1500 pt force for my special choice eternal gaurd , wild riders, wardancers or warhawk riders

thepaintingmonkey
08-04-2007, 20:02
I would say it depended on what else in in the army. maybe if you post what you have so far we could give better advice?

Rider-Of-Kurnous
08-04-2007, 20:11
24 glade gaurd
8 glade riders
5 wild riders
5 wardancers
12 eternal gaurd
gonna get 3 warhawk riders possibly

Bregalad
09-04-2007, 00:13
This is a bit confusing: You have a list comprising ALL of your above mentioned choices and ask us what to take?
Well, one of the best WE units are the Dryads, not incuded in the poll. On the other side, someone named "Rider of Kurnous" might want to include Wild Riders in his army.

thepaintingmonkey
09-04-2007, 01:03
As Bregaled says, a mite confusing. Regardless, the thing to remember with wood elves is that most of their units are excellent if used properly. Skirmishers like wardancers and dryads are incredibly good. Wild riders have so many special rules you cant help but do well with them.
Warhawk riders are only really useful for mage and warmachine hunting.
eternal guard provide a good solid anvil and seat for your stubbornifying heroes.
All in all I think that aside from the warhawks all 3 are as good as each other in their roles. Sorry - maybe not so helpful, but I don't belive you can just pick the best units and put them together with WE. Every single piece of the army has to be able to work as a whole. otherwise youll get picked off piecemeal.

enyoss
09-04-2007, 01:28
I've only used Wardancers and Eternal Guard so far but have had great experiences with both. From looking at the rules I'd avoid Warhawk riders for the time being. Wild Riders look good, but seeing as I haven't used them yet I can't really comment.

Wardancers have a tricky time if they're not supported by units which can either provide or deny rank bonus. On the flip side, Eternal Guard can struggle to get the kills they need if not supported by hard hitting units... like Wardancers.

As others have said, it's a bit tricky to recommend one unit above the rest when it looks like you're using them all anyway ;), but these two units are definitely worthwhile.

Cheers,

enyoss

p.s. welcome to Warseer :)

Lander
09-04-2007, 02:52
Wild Riders preform wonders In all games Ive witnessed.

Lander
09-04-2007, 02:53
Wild Riders preform wonders in all games Ive witnessed.

Lander
09-04-2007, 02:54
Also I have yet to see the effects of Wardancers so take my advice lightly. :D

Vattendroppe
09-04-2007, 08:04
Wild Riders preform wonders in all games Ive witnessed.

Watch your postingh there ;)

hi im wondering wat i ought to take in a 1500 pt force for my special choice eternal gaurd , wild riders, wardancers or warhawk riders

As have been mentioned, it's a bit confusing. All units are good in different ways, it really depends on how you want to play and so. Dryads are heck good, they're marvellous. Wardancers are nice, but cost a lot. They will take up pretty many points in a 1,5K force. Eternal guard are good because it's the only WE unit that are CC and rank-and-file. Can be pretty good to have at least one rank-and-file unit in the army.

Da Black Gobbo
09-04-2007, 09:27
Hi there!

I think wardancers are the best CC unit of the WE and one of the bests units on the game, they are good against a lot of different units, if a Calvary charges you (let's imagines 9 bretonian knights) your 10 wardancers can get the 4+ ward save so they will be hited 4-5 attacks wounded 4-3 and then you will save the half of them, (you loose 2 guys) then you beat back 17 attacks you hit 12 then you wound 6 and you kill 1 (maybe 2 if you are lucky) you loose combat (you probably pass ld check) and then you strike back with killing blow dance or +1 attack dance if you take the first you get 25 attacks you hit 19 (average) and then you wound 10 or 9 he will have to save and you will will about 2 guys, if you go other way you probably kill 3 of them, this time it will be draw and next turn you probably win, i have done this a lot of times against silver helms and once i stopped a chaos knights units 3 turns!

They are great, against big infantry units they are awsome too, charging and then getting +1 attack ten wardancers (with lider) get 31 Str 4 attacks! they are great!

god octo
09-04-2007, 09:29
24 glade gaurd
8 glade riders
5 wild riders
5 wardancers
12 eternal gaurd
gonna get 3 warhawk riders possibly

Wellm judging on what you have, I would get s few more wardancers (3) and then possibly expand the unit of Eternal guard, as 12 really isn't enough.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
09-04-2007, 11:03
Thnx for info

Franco
09-04-2007, 12:26
With an army like that, if you battle regulary with the same person, then he will be able to beat you. You could do with some forest spirits in your army. Tree kin are great but you need some dryads!!!

Peachy
09-04-2007, 12:58
Point for point, I'd say the best wood elf unit are glade guard. Of the units listed, wardancers are the standout unit.

Tuna
09-04-2007, 13:11
Wardancers are freaking unbelivable, a unit of 6 can break a full ranked block of troops on their own....

sirslamb
10-04-2007, 13:38
Well with wood elves the best unit is based on how well its supported by other units, there really isnt a WE unit that can take on a full ranked unit for long, but of the WE units that can do quite well on thier own would be imo the waywatchers. Since its hard to shoot them they move fast, and they can deploy anywhere on the board

darkprincewilson
10-04-2007, 13:43
Wardancers. I would not use eternal guard. They are the only unit I would not use in a Wood Elf army.

I understand their purpose, but they seem counter to what I see as Wood Elf tactics.

tortoise
10-04-2007, 14:12
I think wild riders are superb. Wardancers are good too, as are dryads. In my wood elf army I have 1 unit of wild riders, 1 unit of wardancers and 2 units of dryads.

For me the speed, decent armour and incredible hitting power of the wild riders makes them a very good choice.

I too don't use eternal guard. They just don't seem to play to wood elf strengths. In fact, one of the strenghts of wood elves is that with the right choices your opponent can find themselves facing an army that dosn't have any central mass of units to aim to attack apart from the archers. And this isn't good for him because glade guard are not worth massive victory points and to advance on them he has to go through a hail of arrows (apart from other flank charges etc from your more manouvrable units).

Glade guard counteract this and give your opponent something juicy to go for- which would be fine if they excelled in combat but they don't- they're a bit better than average but not great.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
11-04-2007, 17:53
Sorry i didnt put my 12 dryads on list i also have a treeman and some waywatchers by the way when i used wardancers i found that the enemy just simply avioded them[dice0]