PDA

View Full Version : Two simple questions

Gilabrezu
09-04-2007, 13:15
These may be so easy as to be silly questions but hopefully you will have mercy on this noob. I'm building a CSM Army (Black Legion).

1) I'm wrapping up my defiler and I intend to use it as barrage. I plan to plop it down in cover and use the indirect fire mechanism. My question comes in to play keeping that in mind. I'm keeping the Reaper Autocannon and using the Extra Armor and Smoke Launcher upgrades. What I'm wanting to know, per how I intend to use the unit, is should I go with the flamer or the Havoc. I'm assuming the Havoc would be my best choice per my intended use. Likewise, if something pulls up on it to melee (not sure why but I'm sure it could happen) am I defenseless or do the claws count as CCW (not sure if the Living Vehicle is what makes that happen or not). Hopefully I asked that in a way that makes some semblence of sense.

2) My second question has to do with the bike squad. I got the 3 bikes I'm putting together out of my megaforce so I thought it might be that I simply don't have all the parts I need as a result. Anyway, the codex says I can use melta and plasma but all I seem to have on the spru are the twin linked bolters. I'm confused on what I need to do. Do they all get the bolters but then you put a weapon in the hand of the CSM model?

I'm sure these are super easy but I don't have anyone to ask locally.

IAMNOTHERE
09-04-2007, 13:28
Why do you need extra armour?

If you are indirect firing then I would keep everything else as it is to save on points.

sprugly
09-04-2007, 13:35
Hey gilabrezu, no probs i will attempt to answer your queries.

1 personally if you're going to use the defiler just for indirect fire i wouldn't bother upgrading any other weapons. He'll spend most of the time out of sight of the enemy so they wouldn't be much use. I'd save my points for something else. I wouldn't worry about smoke launchers to much as he'll be hiding anyway and the extra armour is not needed as the defiler already has deamonic possesion and that does the same job better. The defiler doesn't have any close combat weapons as such but that doesn't mean it can't fight and as it counts as a monterous creature its got a few groovy rules to go with it. (look in the main rulebook for monterous creature special rules)

2 The special weapon upgrades should be mounted on the bikes. I think there is a part for this, i guess they just dont supply it with the set you have. Although i suppose no 1 would complain if they carried the weapons instead. Just remember to remove the bolters as well because they're ment as replacements to them.

sprugly

|twynsic|e
09-04-2007, 13:45
re. the defiler, it already has daemonic possession so extra armour is pointless, and a smoke launcher will prevent you from firing, and you should be out of sight of the enemy heavy weapons anyway. If you want to increase survivability mutated hull is better.
I would leave the heavy flamer on, its cheaper and the havoc launcher probably won't have line of sight anyway, if something does come close (most likely bikes with melta/assaut squads), flame then charge, if you've survived their attack then your probably safer in combat than their next melta attack and 200+ points is a lot to lose. With its claws can fight in combat not too great, but ignores armour saves.
re. special weapons though generally i've found i have a few spare special weapons when collecting an army and they're easy enough to attach. While the model is holding the special weapon, technically they replace the twin linked bolters so you may want to remove them.
Otherwise link (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99140102059&orignav=10) you could order the parts from GW.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
09-04-2007, 14:49
2 The special weapon upgrades should be mounted on the bikes. I think there is a part for this, i guess they just dont supply it with the set you have. Although i suppose no 1 would complain if they carried the weapons instead. Just remember to remove the bolters as well because they're ment as replacements to them.

its worth noting that since the rules for bike mounted weapons are different to those of weapons carried by riders (p53, rulebook), you should make sure your opponent understands that the weapons arent really being carried but are mounted on the bikes instead (they could feel mislead/cheated oterwise when you suprise them by firing Rapid Fire weapons at full range when moving :eek:).

this is why most people adopt the "WYSIWYG" convention: if your model matches the rules, then its clearer to both you and your opponent what it does. :)

~ Tim

kaimarion
09-04-2007, 14:57
well in my black legion army i use the defiler as it is.. simply because its worth its points...but keep indirect fire

you would have to buy the box set with the 3 bikes to get melta or plasma weapons i am not sure if they still sell it but
or
you could order the parts instore