PDA

View Full Version : UT 40K public beta released. Yay!

BigJim
31-07-2005, 20:45
Yowser, I'v ebeen waiting on this mod for what seems like ages, & now, earlier than I'd expected they've announced the first public beta release.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6893637#post6893637

It's a bolt-on for Onslaught in UT2004, various 40K playermodels have existed for ages in UTgoty, UT03 & 04, but this is the first time I've seen 40K weapons, vehicles et-al & it looks lovely.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetunreal/ut40k/ut40k_teaser.wmv
Here's a link to the teaser .wmv, and here..

http://www.unreal.ie/dl/mods/UT40K/ut40k_public_beta001.rar
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetunreal/ut40k/ut40k_public_beta001.rar

..are the direct links, to Unreal.IE & File Planet respectively.

It's only at the beta stage, so it's not finished yet, but I've got to say I'm pleased with how this seems to have turned out. :)
At the moment it only seems to have marines, BA & Ultras, but knowing the itchy-fingeredness of the UT communities, it won't be long at all until we see Orks, Eldar, or any other races appearing, Ive seen Ork player models, 3 different Eldar models, a Battle sister model & of course th eubiquitous Space Marine odels for UTgoty, so the will exists out there to create them I'm sure.

I just hope that server admins into 40K will start to host games using it once any or all bugs are found & then ironed out.

*rubs hands in piggie-eyed glee*

plasmadaemon
01-08-2005, 14:49
I'm going to try out then, i'm not too fond of some of the marine modeling, but the rest looks fine.... ;)

oh yeah and cheers for the link!

GuRu
02-08-2005, 00:56
Looks pretty lame if it's just skins and several tweaks to the vehicle stats to represent 40k vehicles. They should wait until they actually have something to offer, since I already have those skins with my original UT.

They better get their act together or this might end up like a sequel to BG40k.

BigJim
03-08-2005, 00:46
Looks pretty lame if it's just skins and several tweaks to the vehicle stats to represent 40k vehicles. They should wait until they actually have something to offer, since I already have those skins with my original UT.

They better get their act together or this might end up like a sequel to BG40k.

Well, bear n mind it's purely a first beta. As for releasing when they've got something to offer - this is something to offer.
Remember that 40K is very much a niche interest, as is UT, and mixing a nice with a niche just creates a bigger niche (or so my maths teacher told me).
Releasing stuff like this lets people know what's going on, & helps to drum up new interest in the project. No-one wants to spend months or even years working n a mod if they think no-one's going to notice..

Plus, it lets people who aree already interested know exactly what's going on & the level of progress so far. Why do you think film trailers are so interesting to people & so popular?
If there was a trailer for a new Alien film (or a 40K feature film, for that matter), wouldn't you watch it? Even if you knew that all it contained were the un-edited film-rushes? I know I would. ;)

If you go to the site, you'll see that they're already part way through CSM (as an enemy team, Marine on Marine is a bit odd) complete with non Imperial weaps & vehicles, & the guy fronting the team is pushing for Eldar as the next race after that, although there's stuff for other races already built, as are the Terminator models, plus rudimentary support for all the gametypes.

The assault Marine jump packs are handled beautifully (if a little forgiving at the moment), move or fire heavy weapons are already in place, and the plan is to ditch the UT maps & create specific 40K universe maps.
Hell, it'd get me into mapping just for the oppertunity to create warhammer 40K maps.
I'd love to create a map of a working Titan bay, or an Imperial battleship. I remember the fuss when Fire warrior was announced, ok it was crap, but if it had been a good gme underneath then it would have made most people's year, I bet.
This has the potential to be an excellent game, being as it is based upon one of the soundest-built FPS's there is.

It'd be a crying shame not to announce the state of play imo. People won't just wait for ever; they tend to demand results, even if the result is just getting a picture of how far away the finished product is..

*EDIT* The skins & models are scratch-built; I have the 40Kmodels from UT99 too, plus the first marine pack for UT03/04 (the Blood angels pack that included the assault marine, MK6, MK7, & Sgt models), and the second Marine model that did the rounds, the NeomagiMK7 model.
AFAIK, these aren't used in the mod, although the forums are reporting that they're working on refurbishing the existing Marine models.