PDA

View Full Version : Ole' school beastmen

Marcel
09-04-2007, 20:14
well ive decided to play the mighty goat people for my new army, and i will be using the ancient models from 4th ed. here are some pictures that will give you an idea of just what i have chosen to tackle:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo36.jpg
so here is beastman "A" he has a lousy paintjob that will be replaced by one of my own. im thinking Holstein!!!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo38.jpg
Senor Spawn, this one i painted myself. i think im going nurgle for the units besides my core beastmen (Pestigors, chariots etc)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo40.jpg
this is my giant. i never used him with Undead, but now, since the chaos giant rules are pretty good, ill use him to support the beasts. i wanted to make him more of a gnarly old man that lives in a cave that a mare chaotic giant with weird appendages.

sorry for the picture quality, but im ******** broke and all i got is my macbook.
feedback please.

Maximus Lucifer
09-04-2007, 20:20
i like the giant most of all...you should get a better pic of Beastmen "A"

Marcel
09-04-2007, 21:52
yeah i agree. anywho, i based and basecoated the beastherd this afternoon. ill put up some pictures once i start painting them.

Saulot
10-04-2007, 06:12
lol at "Battle Cattle" :p

I like those markings around the giant's stomach. Kinda looks lika a surgeon is about to open him up.

Marcel
10-04-2007, 07:14
it was orginally intended to be marks for the cuts of meat. he was originally enlisted in a VC army. :3

HolySanguinius
10-04-2007, 07:40
I know how daunting one of these can be. :rolleyes:

What is the mini in the second picture/what will it represent? A minotaur?

Marcel
10-04-2007, 08:32
Aiight Pimps, heres da update. i had some free time, so i based what will become the Gors of Beastherd A.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo42.jpg
i based with some coarse sand, and painted it with snakebite leather, highlighted three times with increasing amounts of skull white. the hair is black with two gray hightlights. the metal is tin bitz with a second coat of tinbits and chainmail, finally highlighted with chainmail and given the ubiquitous streak of scab red. the skin is scab red and enchanted blue, highlghted by adding more and more white to the same mix. i painted the rim of the base goblin green, and im going to add some dark green fuzzy flock for some contrast.

something different, but chaos is nothing if not different. let me know what you think. as for the guy who asked about the second pic, its the old spawn, which i am using as a nurgle spawn. i prefer it over the new one because again, its very different.

thanks for the feedback, hollaback
-Marcel

Tenoch
10-04-2007, 16:35
Could we have a photo without your oh so gorgeous face behind the model please?

Marcel
10-04-2007, 20:18
you trolls are just jealous. this is about the models though, so give me feedback

Marcel
10-04-2007, 23:40
update. i figure ill show one finished beast then show the entire unit once their all done.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo44.jpg
based beastman. one of many. i like this flock better than static grass because the scale is more appropriate for the dense foliage in a forest.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo46-1.jpg
beastlord/wargor. Gorthor the Beastlord, Zombie sickle hand and a dire wolf head. looks better up close i swear.

Pekel
10-04-2007, 23:56
Very nice paint job from what I can see, but why the green base? Brown would look much nicer. Maybe I'm just "too 40k" to understand why people still do Goblin Green bases. It looks completely unnatural, like astroturf or plastic, and doesn't at all fit with the darker nature of the models. Not that it works on any minis, but particularly not Beastmen. Any chance of changing?

nkicik
11-04-2007, 00:04
Booo bing back the face! It's the only reason I check this thead ;) In all seriousness looking good, though the last couple of photos aren't that clear.

Marcel
11-04-2007, 02:08
ok ill do snakebite leather bases! and if i had a better camera i would use it, im not holding out on you guys. this ones for ya'll showing Marcel some love:http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/dominic_carrillo/Photo49.jpg
nurgle doombull missing an arm. hollaback playboys and playgirls

Pekel
11-04-2007, 02:22
Nice! Hopefully the Snakebite Leather will work well on the bases. Whatever color you do the rims, it should be a bit darker than the rocks on top. So Graveyard Earth, Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather are all potential choices (hard to tell the best with that camera).

Did you do all that sculpting on the Doombull? And is that a Bone Giant head? Seamless conversion, whatever it is you used. :)

Marcel
11-04-2007, 03:50
thanks Pekel. yeah. i did the sculpting and the conversion work. the model includes:
Doombull legs, body and arm
Bone giant head
greater demon of tzeentch arm (not shown)

i didnt use green stuff though, it was another two part epoxie. my suggestion is that you avoid buying overpriced supplies from GW. too many young folks get suckered into buying paint, glue and other stuff at exorbiant prices because they think that is all there is. so hit up your hardware store. rant over.

sigur
11-04-2007, 12:14
Nice, I too have thirty something of those plastic Beastmen around. The question is: What are you gonna use them for? Back when I planned to do a BoC army, I planned to use them for Bestigors but they have shields and no armour. On the other hand, they're holding Halbeards in their hands and ...I mean, you could add another handweapon to the other hand but the pose will look a bit odd. I like the simple, yet fitting idea of shortening the halbeard's shaft. Might I suggest to cut off the now axe's head and reposition it a bit by turning it a bit to the side? I think it would improve the pose of the miniature greatly.

Nice blog overall. A bit different to all the faceless other ones. (hur-hur :eyebrows: )

mousekiller
11-04-2007, 12:55
I might suggest trying to get some sort of greyish background set up that you can set up in front of your camera when taking these shots. It is really hard to offer advice on these guys because a lot of the detail gets lost in the background. You can make a little setup for a very low cost, get some non reflective grey $.99 poster board from your local hobby shop, cut two bends into it, put a piece on the bottom, and whoalah, instant photo studio.

I like what I see so far, but like I said, hard to give you an honest critique.

Boss_Salvage
11-04-2007, 19:28
Whoa, nice nurgle doombull, and I dig all the models shown thus far too. The gray scheme on the standard beast is good stuff, but I'm totally with Pekel on changing your bases color.

- Salvage

torso777
11-04-2007, 20:41
I gotta ask you, why does the nurgle doom bull not have big ole horns!?

Marcel
11-04-2007, 21:24
I gotta ask you, why does the nurgle doom bull not have big ole horns!?
because they rotted and fell off duuuuh!
no actually i intended him to be an exalted demon for a demonic legion army, but since i only have two minotaurs hes going to have to be a bloodkine until i can convert or buy some more.

and then, he will assume his rightful place as the Nigel, Doombull of Nurgle!

as for the actual game, lately ive been playing warbands games with my beasts, and the two minotaurs are working out just fine.
last night i won against a dwarf gunline in 500 pts, so im pretty stoked about that.

Cpt_NinjaPants
11-04-2007, 23:37
Man when you said battle cattle, i thought you would be making those warrior cows like on Diablo 1 or 2...

Marcel
12-04-2007, 02:10
thanks for the feedback guys. i would post more painted stuff but i have had a ton of home work so i havent painted at all.