PDA

View Full Version : Noob starting Lizardmen!

Warboss Grimmtoof
09-04-2007, 23:22
Well the story is that I have been playing 40k for about 5ish years and have a sizeable army of 6000pts of orks (guard got nothin on me!) and have been looking for something new. I finished reading The Burning Shore and impulsively decided "Hey a jungle table would be really cool!" So I immediately set out to work on this table. Well it turned out really nice, now I just need a lizardmen army to go with it! I have about $150 US to spend, and I wondered what would be good to start with. Take note that I dont have ANYTHING for fantasy and will need the main rulebook. Can anyone give me any pointers or tips for what i'm getting myself into here?:D

arc
09-04-2007, 23:36
the starter box set will be a nice buy, find a friend to share with, otherwise, grab the rule book and dices and sell the rest on ebay, for lizardmen, i dont know what advices to give, i just started on this army too, and i havent won a single game yet, if i dont win my next game, they are going onto ebay

studderigdave
10-04-2007, 00:59
i play lizardmen. rulebook wise i would get the mini rulebook for the skull pass set so you dont blow a third of your cash on the rulebook.

what got me interested in the lizardmen were the slann. once i found out i couldnt have a slann until 2k in points, i worked straight to the 2k list with a slann.

to start small i would go with a scar veteran with a great weapon and a jaguar totem. this gives you a rock hard flanker that can charge 18 inches and do some real damage. somepeople will recommend terradons, but i dont care for them, i enjoy 2 squads of kroxigors, hiding behind some javelin skinks.

im also a big fan off salamanders, which i always try to field in sets of 3, and of course a slann in 2k battles. i get stupid and max out my slann, 2nd generation with extra spell, more casting and dispel dice and dice buildup plaques, with BSB and the templeguard crew. most people will call this severe overkill, but i usually play in 3000 plus point games, so its not a biggy.

him_15
10-04-2007, 01:12
A lizardmen regement set with a Scar Veteran hero and a unit of salamander is enough and powerful for a 1k game.

Howling_Screamer
10-04-2007, 01:23
@Arc

I don't know what your talking about. I had never played a game of fantasy in my life and my first 4 games with lizardmen account to 3 wins.

@ Warboss Grimtoof

Hey I play 40k orks too! I really reccomend a scar veteran in 1k pts games. I give him a cold one and a sword of might and set him up with a squad of riders. They are honestly so good that I am not going to replace them. I tried a 2k pts game and used a Slann w/ plaque of Dom and D scroll, it could be just the setup I had, but I really didn't like him, the only way I managed to pull a win from that game was, once again, my cold one riders. I like salamanders but as I only have 1 and have no money, I haven't got a real feel for the power of 3 yet. I did like how 1 took out a warmachine though :D

Warboss Grimmtoof
10-04-2007, 03:02
Well I might just go out and get the starter set, battle for skull pass, and the rulebooks, but I kinda have to start with about $100-$150 right now. I will probably try to convert a saurus into an oldblood (im not too bad with GS) if it is possible, as I dont have a lot of cash and have to be kinda chincy atm. Thanks fer pointing my head in the right direction!

Goldenwolf
10-04-2007, 06:19
The starter set is not for Lizardmen, and you can get the mini rulebook on EBay for $10-15. If you can trade the Dwarves/Goblins to someone else then great, otherwise buy a lizardmen battalion box($90 retail), it comes with quite a bit.

EndlessBug
10-04-2007, 11:07
Lizardmen Battalion box is a good buy, I wouldn't get the starter set as all you need in there are the book and dice. Look on EBay, you might find the rulebook there, dice are easy to come by. To add onto the Box set I SERIOUSLY recomend Salamanders, they are invaluable, all my oppoenents fear them. units of 2 do nicely enough, 3 is just nasty! Also a Scar Veteran (Mark of Tepok and quetzl for some nice magic and mundane protection) and perhaps a Skink priest (make him lvl 2 and give him the Diadem of power).

I'd suggest the Scar Vet with gleaming pendant of chotec personally, (forces oppoenets to strike last) meaning your low initiative is irrelevant, if you bung him on the corner of a unit, even if they get flanked you'll do enough carnage to win any combat. I chose this over the jaguar charm any day (though I usually field both).

Good Luck.

Dead Man Walking
10-04-2007, 11:45
You cant expect to walk into fantasy and just start winning games. Fantasy is far more complex than 40k. Most players spend a lot of thier first half dozen games loosing as they learn 'the ropes'. Its the hard that makes it good.

Get the battalion box, a skink priest or 2, and a box of skinks and saurus.

With that convert one or two saurus (perhaps even on a cold one) into your character. Nothing major, just make him different than the others. Then take 2 or 3 cold ones and convert them into salamanders (The box comes with 8, you will need 5 coldones).

To convert them I put three wires used for binding flowers (Rigid) and placed greenstuff over then to form spines, then I placed a rigid paper cardboard in between each spine to create a sail. You have to cut these to fit between each spine. Then smooth the edges of greenstuff onto the paper cardboard to make it look natural. buy some 40 mm bases to put them on. Basecoat and add 9 skinks with javelins as herding spears. Done.

Goldenwolf
10-04-2007, 22:33
I just saw on EBay the Battalion boxes for $75 with shipping, so get that the army book, the mini rule book, and an item or two mentioned above for $150.

[dice0]

soultaker87
11-04-2007, 05:50
As everyone else says, try and get the lizardmen battalion box. I comes with 2 units of saurus warriors (you can choose either spears or handweapons) one big unit of skinks, and a unit of saurus cold-one riders. buy a scar-vet or buy the temple guard champion blister and pop a head from the saurus warriors (worked with my guy). salamanders are great, get them! I went againest a guy's unit of Kroxigors with three of them and they toast their a$$'s :evilgrin:. also a skink priest is not a bad idea either. thats about it.

Warboss Grimmtoof
11-04-2007, 18:00
Hmmm... I think the battalion box looks cool. I would add a priest, just because I think magic is cool, and it seems to be a big part of warhammer. I dont expect to just jump in the boat and start carving a name for myself (I've played 40k orks fer 5 years I can take a loss!:D ) But I do want to start off on the right foot. I think I can easily convert a cold one into a salamander, their bodies look similar enough. Is it worth it to convert them all into salamanders and field 2 units of 3 (might have to buy one extra) or just take 3 and use 5 cold ones?

Warboss Grimmtoof
12-04-2007, 20:39
Okay, I have ordered the Lizardmen Battalion box, main rulebook, and the lizardmen rulebook (I love BWbits!) and I have moved on to the thinking stage of my army. I can probably convert a saurus warrior into an oldblood and maybe a skink into a priest, so I will have the core of my army done. Now about those cold ones... Lizardmen cavalry dont sit well with me. It just doesnt seem right. How hard do you think it would be to convert a cold one into a kroxigor/salamander. If i could convert the cold ones up, it would give me...
oldblood/scar vet
A Priest
3 units of around 10 saurus (Im fairly sure I can use the ones riding the cold ones with a little elbow grease:D )
3 units of 10 skinks (have some retro ones I got fer cheap)
2 units of 2 kroxigors
and a unit of 3 salamanders

I think the salamanders need skinks with em, so I may have to take out a unit of skinks as the herders. Please point out what I might need to just buy, as coming from orks anything and everything can be anything and everything else with the right application of plasticard.:D

Dead Man Walking
12-04-2007, 23:01
The thing about Cold Ones is that they are very effective. If you put them on a flank not only can you guard a flank but you can tear up your opponents flank at the same time. Also gives them more moving options than the center of the table. Unfortunately non-lizardmen players don't like to see them and they think doubly so of facing two sets of them. Some may think your overdoing it by taking two, but if you dont care what they think then by all means take two.

Cold Ones are very easy to convert as in my previous post. My salamanders are the cold ones that people did not like, thier faces were more square. The battalion box has the updated cold ones that look more like dragons.

You will not be able to convert Kroxigors, they dont look like anything else in the army and have 2 to 3 times the body mass of a saurus. Personally I like the old Kroxigors over the new ones, which give me an odd feeling like I am watching them walk on the bottum of the ocean.

Skink priests are a must have, if for nothing more than defence against other armies and thier magic. Some people field them to add magic power, some add them just to carry dispel scrolls.

With all characters you can just paint a regular guy differently or make some way for it to stand out, at least until you can afford to spend more money on the army.