PDA

View Full Version : Caiphas Cain Diorama

Brimstone
07-04-2005, 18:54
Along with a whole host of promotional crap they are releasing to publicize the next Caiphas Cain book - The Traitor's Hand, Black Library are releasing a limited edition diorama.

The diorama depicts Cain, standing in full commissar dress, with a huge Imperial Guard banner flying in the breeze, on a twisted pile of dead enemies, including orks, tau and necrons. But all is not what it seems. Close inspection reveals a ladder behind the pile of corpses, hinting at the fact that the whole thing is a pose; perhaps for a painting the vainglorious Cain has commissioned of himself, or perhaps for a pict to go in an Imperial guard propaganda leaflet! Be sure, that with Commissar Cain, there is more going on than what is obvious to the eye!

I hope it has Jurgen and his melta as well. :D

While the Black Library dioramas do not have a good reputation for quality (in fact IMO except for the Stern/Hand diorama the rest are mainly awful) I'm hoping (probably in vain) that this one is an improvement.

self biased
07-04-2005, 19:01
the iwo jima one iv'e heard is a nightmare.

Eversor
07-04-2005, 19:07
It's pretty ugly, yes. But it's not a Black Library release: it was released as a part of the good ol' Skulz campaign.

(BTW, Solegends (http://www.solegends.com/citle/index3.htm) has a wealth of information)

Brimstone
07-04-2005, 19:07

I've got that it's not bad with excellent sculpting although difficult to assemble.

It's the BL dioramas that you can see here (http://www.blacklibrary.com/ltded/minis.htm) that I'm not keen on.

Take a look at the painted Honsou/Uriel one, Honsou looks like Puppet Angel. :p

shutupSHUTUP!!!
07-04-2005, 19:15
...Just how is that crap acceptable?

Brimstone
07-04-2005, 19:19
...Just how is that crap acceptable?

It isn't and BL probably know it.

If you look at their online store they have a counter showing the numbers remaining and some of the more recent ones seem to be fairly slow selling.

t-tauri
07-04-2005, 20:16
It isn't and BL probably know it.

And yet they keep throwing them out.

No quality control. If the sculptors pitched up at GW or Forgeworld with those they'd be rejected out of hand, BL just seems happy to have the sculpt.

philbrad2
07-04-2005, 22:16
While the Black Library dioramas do not have a good reputation for quality (in fact IMO except for the Stern/Hand diorama the rest are mainly awful) I'm hoping (probably in vain) that this one is an improvement.

Amen Brother 'STONE :eek:

athamas
07-04-2005, 22:45

i own one, its not that bad, its well made, just difficult to put together....

inquisitorautry
08-04-2005, 03:25
I'll reserve judgement untill I actually see this one. I did like the Gaunt diorama (which I own) and the Lone Wolves diorama. The others I have to agree are pretty much crap (not really sure what type of armor Ragnar is supposed to be wearing there), but I am hopeful for this one.

neXus6
08-04-2005, 03:36
Woah a lot of those are pretty bad.

How do BL sell any "limited edition" stuff I mean I just had a look at the t-shirts and there isn't a single one that has a picture which gives you a good close look at the design. As cool as some of them look in those tiny pictures I wouldn't risk it.

Delicious Soy
08-04-2005, 03:48
Most of thsoe dioramas seem to have been drummed up in the sculptor's lunchbreak. I wish Bl would use some quality control, but each one of these simply becomes a wasted opprtunity. Maybe they should work through forgeworld instead, or does each sub division of GW have its own IP?

Inquisitor Engel
08-04-2005, 04:06
The only one really worth buying is the Daemonifuge one, the miniature of Ephrael Stern is probably the best Seraphim miniature out there. It's just fantastic.

t-tauri
08-04-2005, 05:53
Lone Wolves is good with a couple of really cool metal Space Wolves. The Gaunt is okay. Stern is by far the best. Most of the rest are just terrible.

boogle
08-04-2005, 07:15
and what do 95% of these dioramas have in common? - Aly Morrison, why this guy hasn't been sacked for not only producing crap in the mainsream ranges, but also crap that has destroyed our conceptions of our favourite novelised characters, i'll never know, does the man have a 'no sacking' policy written inot his contract?

Ouroboros
08-04-2005, 08:15
Whoa no prices on the online store just contact instructions. I get leery when normal companies do that never mind GW limited editions.

rkunisch
08-04-2005, 13:16
Whoa no prices on the online store just contact instructions. I get leery when normal companies do that never mind GW limited editions.
I don't know which Online Store you look at, but the Black Library Online Store do list the prices. It even has a (working) shopping cart. Try this link (http://store.blpublishing.com/storefront/store.bl?do=Odd&odd=BLLayout&_do=List_Models&code=300477&game=&c=300477).

Have fun,

Rolf.

Rich
08-04-2005, 14:06
and what do 95% of these dioramas have in common? - Aly Morrison, why this guy hasn't been sacked for not only producing crap in the mainsream ranges, but also crap that has destroyed our conceptions of our favourite novelised characters, i'll never know, does the man have a 'no sacking' policy written inot his contract?

To be fair, the initial models were made by Mike Mcvey, and that guy should never ever have been let near a sculpting tool - I think the Stern diorama was reasonable, and so was lone wolves. I didn't think much of the ghosts one, or the ragnar diorama. Darkblade is now a reasonably good fantasy model in any case so there is less call for the limited edition model.

Amas Nagol
08-04-2005, 14:17
Mike McVey only sculpted a couple of those dioramas. Most of the terrible ones came from the hands of a Morrison.

The Lone Wolves one is quite nice though.

Ornithoticus
10-04-2005, 14:14
cant wait, i agree about the gaunt one, i also liked the bloodquest one with the guy with the chainsword hand though, but the rest are pretty crap

Jamz
10-04-2005, 16:30
how much do you think that Iwo jima one is worth? I've got it and want to sell it...

t-tauri
10-04-2005, 16:51
how much do you think that Iwo jima one is worth? I've got it and want to sell it...
It's worth whatever someone will buy it for. On ebay they go for 30-40 at the moment.