PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Space Slann!!

axiom
10-04-2007, 09:49
Hi all, some of you may have seen my Zoats in Firebase 2. I'm now starting to build a companion force on the same premise of resurrecting a long dead 40k race - this time *fanfare* SPACE SLANN!

This is going to be a long running project, so I can't promise regular updates - the plan is to have the army finished ready for 2008 gaming, so that gives me approximately 9 months to build, paint and get ready to play.

The concept is based on three simple rules:

1) Slann are weak in close combat
2) Slann have access to some awe-inspiring ancient technology
3) Slann will only be based on GW-produced models

The first two are fairly straight forward and give me two options for codices which I could base the army on - shooty Eldar or Tau. The basic stat-line of the basic Tau Fire Warrior (low initiative, poor WS but excellent weaponry) seems to fit the idea of a cold-blooded frog warrior better than the Eldar Guardian equivalent, so Tau it is.

The third rule really is there to define what I build for the army. I would hate to field a force with standard Tau battlesuits and hammerheads and just have frogs where fire warriors should be. Looking at the Slann models that GW have put out over the years, there's plenty to be getting on with:

Space Slann: GW put out 12 Space Slann models - each named and equipped with either wrist-mounted blasters or some kind of laser rifles http://www.solegends.com/citrt/tsf18spaceslann.htm

Slann Mages: I've got three options here from recent ranges - the lovely Juan Diaz squatting GW model, the limited edition Forgeworld figure, and the less than lovely big fat bloater from the previous Lizardman range. Lord Kroak is an option, but will require some new muscles to bring him to the party!

C Series Slann: In the mid-1980s, fantasy Slann were one of the mainstays of the Old World, released for scenario packs and in an army of their own right. You can check out some pics on Stuff of Legends, but here's a quick taster http://www.solegends.com/citc/c32slann.htm

Put all of those together and you have lots of human-sized figures, a few larger scale figures and some riding beasties. Married to the Tau Empire codex that pointed me in one direction of infantry Tau supported by plenty of battlesuits.

The line infantry will be created from Space Slann warriors. The battlesuits (crisis and broadsides) will be created by mounting Slann mage priests on suitably tech-like hover platforms. As for Stealth suits, a little converting of those C32 mounted Slann warriors on cold ones should do the trick!

Of course, in order to build this arm, I'll need lots of Space Slann, and a few months ago I bought a large lot of Space Slann which doubled the number I already had which finally enables me to build the army. It has taken over 6 years, but I am now the proud owner of a motley selection of in the region of 70 Space Slann

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/loadsaslann.jpg

Here's a mocked up squad of 10 Slann Warriors, or should I say Fire Warriors (not painted by me, still in the colours which they arrived in)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/squad1.jpg

And finally for this post, here's the basis of a Stealth suit - he still needs masses of work to get him to look the part though!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/stealth.jpg

I'll be putting up pics of the beginnings of my battlesuits at some point over the next few days - stay tuned!

jasevx
10-04-2007, 09:57
This will be an interesting project to watch, keep it up!

OnnO
10-04-2007, 10:25
Looks good, I will be following this with intrest.

And no regular updates is: "Humbug!!" ;)
Just give us daily updates and lots of cool pictures so we can praise your skills :D

axiom
10-04-2007, 12:56
OK, just a very quick update to show you the way the crisis suits will go. Both of these are still quite WIP, so be kind!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/crisis1.jpg

This first fella is an attempt to imitate the rather spectacular and groovy tall hats that some of the old Space Slann are proudly sporting. My sculpting is fairly basic, but hopefully paint will hide most of the rough edges! He's also been given a nice large wrist-mounted weapon just like his smaller counterparts.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/crisis2.jpg

Next up is a rather more sleek and dashing daddy Slann with extended 'hand of power' and natty looking visor. The doodads on the side of his belly are just there to cover up the damage caused by getting rid of the original hand.

The plan is to mount crisis/broadside slann on FW heavy gun drones - I've got a pair on order so I can test mount these two bad frogs.

scarletsquig
10-04-2007, 13:23
Fantastic idea, really looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

T_55
10-04-2007, 13:24
Hahaha, i can't wait to see this army completed, very interesting so far, and i'm also pleasently suprised at how many of those old models you have.

asmodai_dark86
10-04-2007, 13:51
Ha, Jordi le Frog!

Seriously though this looks to be a cool army. I was about to suggest that the bigger slann toadies be hammer heads and the like - giant floating diasis, attendants, that kinda thing, but we'll see how it pans out first

Boss_Salvage
11-04-2007, 19:58
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahaha! I love that visored frog! Freaking awesome work already, I love me some count army logs. Your Zoats, by the way, were truly inspiring to read about, and a fantastic army in every way possible.

Looking forward to more!

- Salvage, Fanboy :skull:

Lockjaw
12-04-2007, 01:14
never seen so many space slann models together at the same time before, nice

MF3000
12-04-2007, 03:06
LOL love these... I still have the john blanch concept art for the evil frogmen of space. lol. they used lobotomised humans... oooo how evil!

sj

Firestorm Falcon
12-04-2007, 11:43
The visor slann looks like he's playing one of those virttual reality games. Great army I have to say.

Hawkmoon
12-04-2007, 12:11
Holy Feth!!! Space Slann! Seriously, it's quite impressive that you have so many of, what are now, incredibly hard to get models.

I'll definitely be watching this thread.

Great Harlequin
12-04-2007, 12:45
Lovely job, Jon! This is going to be one interesting project! Shame you weren't at Carnage this year; hopefully you can make it next time?

axiom
12-04-2007, 18:21
Ha, Jordi le Frog!

That's so bad it's good! ;)

Your Zoats, by the way, were truly inspiring to read about, and a fantastic army in every way possible

Very kind of you - I've had so many positive comments about the Zoats it was really exciting to get that kind of reaction when it's just a pet project.

it's quite impressive that you have so many of, what are now, incredibly hard to get models

Tell me about it - as I said it took 6 years from start to finish - my first ever eBay purchase was a Space Slann!

Lovely job, Jon! This is going to be one interesting project! Shame you weren't at Carnage this year; hopefully you can make it next time?

Fingers crossed - I promised my wife to limit it to one campaign w/e this year (Dark Stars) as I went to about 5 last year and it was frowned on ;)

axiom
27-04-2007, 15:12
Two weeks - 'any progress?' you ask...erm, well not a great deal unfortunately as I'm frantically trying to complete my Saim Hann army for the Dark Stars campaign.

On the plus side, I now have all of the fantasy cold ones required to built the 6-slann strong stealth suit squad.

More importantly, Forgeworld kindly sent through my order of 1 pack of heavy gun drones as a test for my crisis suits. Here's the 'out of packet mockup':

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/slann_crisis_mockup.jpg

You can see the look I'm going for here. Instead of the obviously WHFB floating dias, I'm planning to use these giant drones as seats for my big slann. I've just attached the burst cannons for reference - I'll actually be using crisis suit weaponry at those hard points and the burst cannons will be donated to my cold one riders so they can truly act as stealth suits.

Next time I might even have a test model painted up for you to have a look at, but for the moment I'm undecided on what colour to paint the slann skin.

Green
Blue
Turquoise
Red

Currently I'm leaning towards Blue or Red. Green is just too obvious and turquoise, while a great colour, is just too close to all those Lizardmen armies.

Any suggestions?

Cheatah
27-04-2007, 15:28
Go for red... the stealth suit guys could be chameleonic as to portray their "stealth" status? :)

axiom
27-04-2007, 16:56
the stealth suit guys could be chameleonic as to portray their "stealth" status? :)

Pre-empting me there - I was planning on looking into some really wild poisonous frog patterning for those guys ;)

sLai
27-04-2007, 17:42
Oldskool for the win!

really cool slanns I must say, and the old pewter models looks lovely, so much character in these old minis :)

cerealkiller195
27-04-2007, 18:45
yesterday i was going to go fishing for this log, anything old school defintely needs some extra attention.

squiggoth
27-04-2007, 19:35
Best. Looking. Tau. Army. Ever.
And you haven't even painted them yet. :p

Lord Kroak is an option, but will require some new muscles to bring him to the party!

Lord Kroak may be a good substitute for that Tau Ethereal SC with the floating wheelchair and the wrinkles .... I can't see any other use for Old Kroakie that a regular Slann model can't do better. :)

Got a link to those Zoats?

axiom
28-04-2007, 07:34
Thanks all - very kind! They should be different anyway!

Got a link to those Zoats?

Download Firebase 2 http://www.warseer.com/node/399, the article starts on p55

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
28-04-2007, 08:50
I absolutely loved your Zoat army, the way it was painted/converted made me wish there was a current range/codex for them and it was by far the best article in Firebase2 so I certainly look forward to what you'll be doing with these space-froggies :D

squiggoth
28-04-2007, 22:27
Download Firebase 2 http://www.warseer.com/node/399, the article starts on p55

Thanks ...... brilliant looking 'Nids, and it's good to know you were nominated for Best Army - there's a lot of love and creativity put in your Zoats, and it shows. :)

Can't wait to see how your Space Frogs will turn out. :cool:

axiom
01-05-2007, 00:02
I absolutely loved your Zoat army, the way it was painted/converted made me wish there was a current range/codex for them and it was by far the best article in Firebase2 so I certainly look forward to what you'll be doing with these space-froggies :D

Given the quality of articles in Firebase, I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the article!

Anyway, onto some gratuitous amphibian shots...here's a first test model in striking red:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/test1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/test2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/test3.jpg

Please excuse the pics, it's heading on for midnight and I have a severe lack of natural light!

I quite like the balance of colours, but am wondering if the red needs to be a little less 'dusky' and more vibrant - perhaps a wash with yellow ink might work? How does the blue work as the accent colour for the fur? Should I go with something more naturalistic?

Comments welcomed!

cerealkiller195
01-05-2007, 04:26
all i can do is stare at it. i like it. it has the whole "alien" feel i know that sounds stupid but i hope you get the idea. keep posting.

Bretagne
01-05-2007, 04:32
fantastic. almost makes me want to play 40K. almost.

titan136
01-05-2007, 04:44
a very cool "count as" army, great to see collections of old school minis

Ross
01-05-2007, 09:28
Nice work there champ, was there much conversion work in that one? I like the wrist laser/force shield/braclet thing! What did you use to make his weapon?

Keep these coming!
Eagerly awaiting the amphibious assault, Ross.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
01-05-2007, 09:53
The red looks great a perfect choice for them I think, it also makes a nice contrast to the more green/blue/musty styled Zoats you did too, so id say you went with the right colour-scheme there IMO.

If you dont mind suggestions, id say perhaps use more firey oranges/yellows on the skin, that may make it look better.

you've definitly opened a whole window of opportunies with these projects and certainly brought RT era relics back and freshening them up for the 21st century. So many armies one could update like this too ; Squats/Ambulls/imperial Robots/Enslaver-plague to name a few...

Nife
01-05-2007, 11:26
I think the red is a perfect counterpoint to the white armour personally. Really like it - it looks mottled -was this intentional? Eitherway it looks great.

axiom
01-05-2007, 15:19
was there much conversion work in that one? What did you use to make his weapon?

No conversion of any kind on that fella - he's a stock slann figure. I'm planning to play it that all of the slann with wrist mounted weapons count as fire warriors with pulse carbines, the others will have pulse rifles

If you dont mind suggestions, id say perhaps use more firey oranges/yellows on the skin, that may make it look better.

I'll have a play with the colour and see if firey looks more appropriate for alien frogmen!

you've definitly opened a whole window of opportunies with these projects and certainly brought RT era relics back and freshening them up for the 21st century. So many armies one could update like this too ; Squats/Ambulls/imperial Robots/Enslaver-plague to name a few...

Squat armies sort of inspired me to to both these and the zoats - I liked the way people were using their old squat models as guard/marines/orks. Ambulls might be a tricky one to do, robots could be terminators or obliterators

Really like it - it looks mottled -was this intentional? Eitherway it looks great.

Not really, it's all down to the highly textured sculpting on the slann skin :)

Anyway, for those of you impatient for more, here are two models a stage further to completion:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/oldonecrisis.jpg

The first Crisis suit almost ready for painting. I need to add a little extra sculpted plate to his headdress, and clean up some mould lines but other than that he's ready to go. I've given him his proper weapons rather than the default burst cannons from the heavy gun drone. I'm sad to say I giggled like a girl when I put him together. He looks mean, cool and cute all at the same time!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/stealthmockup.jpg

Here's an early stage stealth suit to give you more of an idea. I'll sculpt some sort of vambrace over his left arm to support the burst cannon (recycled from the heavy gun drone). As he's a fantasy slann he's a bit light in the armour/helmet region, so I need to add a padded jacket and maybe some sort of helmet too. The angle of the pic hides it a little, but I've added a drone antenna to his saddle to tech him up a bit.

DigitsDavid
01-05-2007, 18:15
Great thread! A good idea and something less mainstream which is always great to see develop. Will be watching with great interest.

torso777
02-05-2007, 01:34
Space traveling frogs with guns make me happy:D

Angelwing
02-05-2007, 03:16
superb stuff. never seen that many slann figs in one place. I shall watch with interest. Now paint and convert dam you! :)

leonmallett
07-12-2007, 13:23
Great log - looks a fun (if demanding!) project: keep up the good work, and give us an update, please.

Aurellis
07-12-2007, 15:09
I absolutely love what you're doing with this log :)
The conversions look quite difficult to do for a whole army, you're brave!
I'm subscribed

Slaaaaaanesh
07-12-2007, 15:15
What a fun idea, are the slanns' going to be sitting on the floating platforms as they are or will there be a glass dome thingy going over them?

Penguin of Death
07-12-2007, 15:43
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/exoditejon/Slann/stealthmockup.jpg

Here's an early stage stealth suit to give you more of an idea. I'll sculpt some sort of vambrace over his left arm to support the burst cannon (recycled from the heavy gun drone). As he's a fantasy slann he's a bit light in the armour/helmet region, so I need to add a padded jacket and maybe some sort of helmet too. The angle of the pic hides it a little, but I've added a drone antenna to his saddle to tech him up a bit.

Rather than have him supporting the gun could you have some sort or articulated support coming up from the saddel, a bit like the 'steadicam' style rigs in ALiens