PDA

View Full Version : squighoppers... what to do with em?!?

broodjeork
10-04-2007, 17:08
i really like squigerhoppers and want to include them in my army
but what are they really good at and how much should i use?

a little help would be nice and painting tips to...:evilgrin:

jahorin
10-04-2007, 18:02
Usually I field a unit of 10. I will put them more on the flank than in the center in case I have a couple of bad rolls for their movement.

Then just roll the dice and let them go loose toward your opponent!

So far they perform very nicely, and most of the time they get their points pack.

broodjeork
10-04-2007, 18:05
Usually I field a unit of 10. I will put them more on the flank than in the center in case I have a couple of bad rolls for their movement.

Then just roll the dice and let them go loose toward your opponent!

So far they perform very nicely, and most of the time they get their points pack.

ok thats handy but ten is a bit out of my budget i think il go for 8 ( hope its still enough) an dim converting a command group right now , i know there arent any rules for em but it just looks cool.:D

any way thanks its a realy orcy/goblin way of aproaching tactiscs

Mister Hat
10-04-2007, 19:59
I use a unit of 8. I find them really handy to charge units they can't see. The ability to move into a wood to engage those pesky Wood Elfs that are hiding is really useful.

Generally speaking they are great anti-skirmishers, especially on a terrain-heavy board. They die really quickly though, so I find any ranked unit to be problematic. All-in-all you should use them to protect your flanks against other flankers, and take advantage of their immunity to psychology (although this can be a problem itself as they can't flee from charges).

broodjeork
10-04-2007, 21:18
I use a unit of 8. I find them really handy to charge units they can't see. The ability to move into a wood to engage those pesky Wood Elfs that are hiding is really useful.

Generally speaking they are great anti-skirmishers, especially on a terrain-heavy board. They die really quickly though, so I find any ranked unit to be problematic. All-in-all you should use them to protect your flanks against other flankers, and take advantage of their immunity to psychology (although this can be a problem itself as they can't flee from charges).

so basicly if a unit is with its flank againt a forest then position ure squighoppers behind that forest and charge trough it in its flank
or something like that

Hazhumie
11-04-2007, 05:09
Anyone had luck using them as a missile screen? I was thinking of setting an arc of them around my chukkas and point them at the closest scouts or fast cav headed my way.

Avian
11-04-2007, 08:52
That sounds pretty pointless, considering that they will probably cost more than the war machines they are guarding and die very easily if shot at. Not to mention that they bounce around each turn.

More: Night Goblin Squig Hoppers (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/nightgoblin_units_chars.php#uho)

Ozzy Orc
11-04-2007, 09:26
They are good against armies with fear :) i had 8 squighoppers against Ogre Kingdoms and they killed: 1 butcher, 3bulls, 2leadbelchers and 2 gnoblars units :)

lucky git
11-04-2007, 10:14
you cant use them as a missile screen. they always have to move. I have a unit of 8 too and they perform pretty good. they've won me a couple of games and even a tournament.

Sander

Head_Not_Found
11-04-2007, 10:17
I use 10 against shooting-heavy armies, and 6-8 against all others. They are your best choice for flushing out enemy skirmishers/scouts out of the woods. Deploy them opposite to such terrain and be sure that with WS4 S5 A2 they are no match for any skirmishing unit when they charge. Plus they don't need LOS and difficult terrain doesn't bother them! I used to have problems with small cheap suicidal units of scouts drawing out my fanatics to early, but now I have a countermeasure!

Hazhumie
11-04-2007, 13:44
That sounds pretty pointless, considering that they will probably cost more than the war machines they are guarding and die very easily if shot at. Not to mention that they bounce around each turn.

The points cost is a very valid point. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth spending the cash on the little buggers. As for a missile screen, it seems like their only use other than a unreliable flanker. My regular opponents always have scouts (HE, Lizardmen, Skaven).

Avian- Read the tactica, good food for thought.

Avian
11-04-2007, 14:39
As for a missile screen, it seems like their only use other than a unreliable flanker.
Are you kidding? Squig Hoppers absolutely eat any kind of infantry (not Chosen Warriors or Black Guard, though). :evilgrin:
You do need to be careful with them so that they don't get charged or shot at too much.

On monday against the Dwarfs, for example, they murdered a unit of Miners, even if they squabbled for two turns out of six. The ability to out-charge most footsloggers unless you roll very low and the insane number of S5 attacks they can get in means they can do a ridiculous amount of damage.

jahorin
11-04-2007, 15:19
On monday against the Dwarfs, for example, they murdered a unit of Miners, even if they squabbled for two turns out of six. The ability to out-charge most footsloggers unless you roll very low and the insane number of S5 attacks they can get in means they can do a ridiculous amount of damage.

And the fact that you are able to re-roll you to hit in the first round against those pesky dwarves! This means more S5 hit!!! I had similar success against dwarves. A unit of 8 (they were 10 at the start of the game) manage to break a unit of 15 rangers! Talk about efficiency!

Mister Hat
13-04-2007, 16:15
so basicly if a unit is with its flank againt a forest then position ure squighoppers behind that forest and charge trough it in its flank
or something like that

Exactly. Can be quite a nasty suprise.

Wintersdark
13-04-2007, 17:19
Bear with me here; I'm new back to the game and haven't seen the new O&G army book.

Squig Hoppers are now a seperate unit? I assume a skirmishing unit that moves 3d6" each turn; ignores difficult terrain and gets 2 S5 attacks per model? Counts as charging whatever it runs into?

Have squig herds changed at all?

By the sounds of it from the discussion, though, that's incredibly cool. Can a hero riding a squig join the unit?

jahorin
13-04-2007, 18:11
The rules now are more like the rules in 5th ed. except now it's 3D6 instead of 2D6 in 5th ed.

Unfortunately they cannot be joined by a character... even if said character is riding a giant squig. That's really too bad because it could have made some fun units!

Slann mage Tokes
13-04-2007, 23:15
Actually I have the book right here in front of me and page 26,
under Night Goblin Squig Hoppers it states,

Special Rules

May not join units (great cave squig only)
Immune to psychology; Skirmish; Hate Dwarfs
Boiiing....

so I would gather that means only the great cave squig cant join units,
raising futher questions.

Slann mage Tokes
13-04-2007, 23:24
So how would you propose that a unit of squig hoppers join with another unit? :D

:cheese: I don't

I ask where does it say other characters, (boar/wyvern/wolf/gigantic spider)
mounted cannot join the squigs.

Wierd, What happened to Dranthar's post....

Wintersdark
13-04-2007, 23:52
Thanks :) I don't have, and have not seen, the new greenskin book yet, so please excuse the seemingly obvious questions.

Avian
15-04-2007, 13:21
I ask where does it say other characters, (boar/wyvern/wolf/gigantic spider)
mounted cannot join the squigs.
Characters cannot join units that are subject to compulsory movement, which Squig Hoppers are all the time. :D

Dead Man Walking
15-04-2007, 17:00
These guys are awesome in a warbands game. If you ever play warbands I suggest some of these.

I have used these guys successfully as;

A Character Killer. While they won't kill the more powerful hand to hand lords, they will absolutely obliterate any kind of mage. 6 str 5 ws 4 attacks is great. Just front charge the unit and dont worry so much about the ranked up unit. Killing thier magic defence off so you can rule the roost in the magic phase is more important.

Skirmish unit killers.

Artlillery killers.

Blind charges through terrain like woods.

Calvary killers, they will destroy lightcalvary and put up a good fight against heavy calv if you hit them on a flank.

support charge Flankers. I landed these boys on a flank of a unit of orc boys while a snotling pump wagon rammed them in the front. A unit of 30 models was reduced to 18 models and broke from combat.

While they are not going to assure you a win they will give you an advantage if they are used correctly.

Hazhumie
16-04-2007, 13:27
Anyone had an success with them against skinks? I'm looking forward to dealing with the chamelion skink unit that I see EVERY TIME I play against LM up here.

So, with 3d6" compusory movement, if the unit is less that 9" from the skinks they won't get shot to bits? Also, they have the 360 degree view, which would impact scouts(?)

Hulkster
16-04-2007, 13:54
they are basically skirmishers that have to move 3d6 in any direction you choose

which means they can charge with out declaring a charge and without seeing the enemy

I can imangine them being very good at killing those skinks

Squig hoppers FTW

Sanjuro
16-04-2007, 14:05
And the fact that you are able to re-roll you to hit in the first round against those pesky dwarves! This means more S5 hit!!!

Can you have Hatred when you are Immune To Psychology? I thought ITP cancelled out the other.

Avian
16-04-2007, 14:24
Not in 7th edition
(though they should have really renamed "Immune to Psychology" to "Immune to Some* Psychology")

* Fear, Terror and Panic

broodjeork
16-04-2007, 14:46
Can you have Hatred when you are Immune To Psychology? I thought ITP cancelled out the other.

this is basicly how it works. the squig is imune to psycology, because the gobbo cant make the squig rune away from fesh meat but te hatred comes from the gobbo encouraging the squig to kill more, stabbing the squig and such things.

so basicly the squig is immune and the gobbo has the hatred

Hazhumie
16-04-2007, 16:02
this is basicly how it works. the squig is imune to psycology, because the gobbo cant make the squig rune away from fesh meat but te hatred comes from the gobbo encouraging the squig to kill more, stabbing the squig and such things.

so basicly the squig is immune and the gobbo has the hatred

Ahh... Logic and Squigs. Two great tastes that don't go together.

Wintersdark
16-04-2007, 16:22
Not in 7th edition
(though they should have really renamed "Immune to Psychology" to "Immune to Some* Psychology")

* Fear, Terror and Panic

Really? I hadn't noticed that, will have to re-read that again. So many little changes!

Oh, and good to see you again, Avian :)

Sanjuro
16-04-2007, 17:57
Not in 7th edition

* Fear, Terror and Panic

Oh, right you are! Well, I guess it isn't so hard to see who hasn't been with their times and bought the latest rule book.

Dead Man Walking
16-04-2007, 23:30
You will still have a tough time with skinks. You take what ever you roll and half that to see if the skinks can stand and shoot. The average is 8-7 inches so they will get to stand and shoot -typically- from 3.5 inches to 4 inches away. Since they have no armor and are tough 3 these guys would die quickly from skinks, espeacially if skinks get to move up and fire at them.

In order to deal with these guys in my slaanesh list I cast the spell that makes them frenzied and takes d6 str 3 hits at the beginning of each players turn. Works better on skinks of course because no one wants a unit of skinks with a mage in it to get frenzied :P

broodjeork
18-04-2007, 09:55
[QUOTE=Dead Man Walking;1477005]You will still have a tough time with skinks. You take what ever you roll and half that to see if the skinks can stand and shoot. The average is 8-7 inches so they will get to stand and shoot -typically- from 3.5 inches to 4 inches away. Since they have no armor and are tough 3 these guys would die quickly from skinks, espeacially if skinks get to move up and fire at them.

actualy the avrage movemt of a squighopper unit is 10.5 inches. cauze its 3d6 and not 2d6 but still it isnt gonna be enough unles you role like 3 sixes

bluu
18-04-2007, 16:22
I just love them! They saved me against a hordish OK-list. The guy had the field completely covered from side to side. These guys were able to go a mighty 17", wipe out a unit of 3 Bulls, and caused mass Panic on his right flank. Then I could get around his flank, and he was toast. Ended up wiping him out on round 5.

Avian
18-04-2007, 17:35
Really? I hadn't noticed that, will have to re-read that again. So many little changes!

Oh, and good to see you again, Avian :)
Welcome back! :)

And if you haven't done so already, I can heartily recommend both types of Squig units, as they prod mighty bottom. :D

Wintersdark
18-04-2007, 18:24
Welcome back! :)

And if you haven't done so already, I can heartily recommend both types of Squig units, as they prod mighty bottom. :D

I'm so sad... I sold my old, lovely greenskins, and now just have pictures to remind me of them.

I'd do em again, but I can't bring myself to paint thousands more of the cute lil green buggers. I love the changes to the greenskins, though, from what I've seen it's pretty similar with a few things taken away (no more ld9 goblin armies :cries:) but lots of nifty changes - like the squigs! Glad to see the spiders are back too.

Franco
18-04-2007, 19:23
My opinion on Squig hoppers is that they get shot down before they can do anything. I don't know if that is because of my tactics but i find them a waste of points!!!

Avian
18-04-2007, 19:39
It's your tactics there is something wrong with, most likely. Are you hopping them through cover, or straight up the middle of the field out in the open?

Wintersdark
18-04-2007, 22:52
Are they affected by terrain at all? Or can they merrily bounce through difficult terrain etc? I'd guess impassable terrain would destroy them if they landed in it, or in some cases hopped through (depending on the terrain peice in question) but can they basically use terrain for cover and freely move THROUGH it, or do they need to work their way around carefully?

As with any unarmoured, T3 hitty troops, you'd need to keep them covered. Don't try to use them as a forward strike force. Present your opponent with better targets!

Remember, if the Squig unit is partically concealed by terrain, they get an additional -1 or -2 to be hit by missile fire (soft or hard cover, respectively. If even one of the models is in cover, they get the bonus. Unless, that is, I read those wrong. I'm still new to the 7th ed rules!

Anyways, don't give your opponent the chance to shoot them to pieces right away. If there's no terrain for cover, try bouncing them back and forth behind your other units, advancing kind of zig-zagging, using your units for cover. Launch em out when you get closer to his line, and it's too late for him to do any significant damage by shooting.

Thoughts, anyways. I'm not familiar with the details of their rules, so I can't offer much more than that.

Avian
19-04-2007, 10:26
Being skirmishers they ignore any terrain other than impassable, which just stops them. A way of deliberately making your squigs hop slower is to hop them into such terrain or into a friendly unit, which limits how far they can go.

Countblah
19-04-2007, 11:00
Use them together with other units that would scare your opponent. I use 2 pumpwagons for my rare choice. (I cant play 2k yet) Thats my tactic if you think you will lose your expensive hoppers by shooting. Both units hit extremely hard in CC. So your opponent has to choose who he doesnt want to get into CC.

BLAH

Wintersdark
19-04-2007, 17:52
Unless they changed pump wagons in the new book... they're a VERY good choice for rare slots. They can hit pretty hard, are dirt cheap and are unbreakable. 2 Pump Wagons went with me for every single battle.

Countblah
19-04-2007, 20:48
Dont know much about the old Pumpwagon but it still does enough damage to scare my opponent from shooting it very early in the game. 2th round both are gone most of the time.

Ow pumpwagons arent unbreakable anymore.

As for the squighoppers I didnt know that they could charge true terrain. Makes sense after rereading the rulebook. But does the rule for the pumpwagon work exactly like the squighoppers.

Does the pumpwagon also have the 360degree movement direction just like the squighoppers get for being skirmishers?

Sorry if this seems like i'm stealing this thread.

Dont use squigshoppers for screening. I know they are the only skirmisher unit that can in the whole O&G army but for 15pts a piece.... that idea... not so good.

Go squigs!:)

BLAH

Sam
27-06-2007, 04:32
Maybe i missed something obvious, but I donít understand the dynamics of the Great Cave Squig. It is listed as having a higher toughness and attacks on pg. 26, but on pg. 55 there is only one entry for points (15). I would expect the Great Cave Squig to cost more, or be an upgrade, or something, but they are not even mentioned on pg. 55. Also, what is with the May not join units rule for them? My interpretation is that you can either have a unit of regular squig hoppers (5-10) at 15 points each taking up a special slot, or you can take one great cave squig at 15 points that takes up a special slot.

Dead Man Walking
27-06-2007, 04:53
Great Cave squig is a mount for a night goblin character. It does not take up a slot.

Dead Man Walking
27-06-2007, 04:57
You decide the direction the pump wagon will be traveling in, roll and then go that distance, if that distance would bring you into contact with an opponent then that opponent gets a standard charge reaction as if they had been charged. For stand and shoot purposes calculate half of the rolled distance to see if the opponent can stand and shoot (So if it rolls a 9 the stand and shoot distance is 4.5").

It does not have 360 degree vision but can move 360 degrees. As far as charging through terrain goes consult the rules on what happens to a chariot when it enters terrain.

Braad
08-07-2007, 08:42
A little bit of experience I would like to share with you from a game a few days ago...

I was playing against lizardmen with my O&G, and I totally massacred the guy...
One very important action, was that I used my 6 squighoppers to flank a Stegadon in my 2nd turn...
The little beasties completely wacked the big dino!
He didn't even got a chance to fight back. 5 unsaved wounds in one round.
I think that's a very nice way to use 'm :)

After that they were wiped of the earth by a volley of salamander spit...