PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2000pts

mr_kovacs
11-04-2007, 01:51
So heres the list, i've had like 4 lists i;ve made but i think this one would probably be the best, comments are welcomed

Liche High Priest
Hiratic jar (extra incantation)
cloak of dune (he can fly)
golden ankhra (4+ wardsave)

Tomb Prince
Light Armour
Shield
Rides Chariot
Spear Of Antarnak (gain 1 wound for each successful wound caused the wound gained can be added to the unit he is riding with)
rides with other unit of chariots

Liche Priest
go's with one of the skeleton warrior units
Dispell Scroll

Liche Priest
Steed
Dispell Scroll

20x Skeleton Warriors
hand weapon
light armour
Shields
Full Command

20x Skeleton Warriors
hand weapon
light armour
Shields
Full Command

15x skeleton heavy horseman[/B]
banner of undying legion
full command
(3 rows of 5)

3x Chariots

2x Tomb Scorpions

3x Carrions

screaming skull catapult
skull of the foes

total points-1981

and thats the lot, tell me what yo'll think

Marcel
11-04-2007, 01:53
why steeds fot the priests? i would get some bowmen and tombgaurd and lose the HTH skeletons

mr_kovacs
11-04-2007, 01:55
steeds for the priests cuase they have to keep up with army to regenerate them.

as for the other thing you said, i got no idea what you mean

mr_kovacs
11-04-2007, 01:56
i was thinking about bowmen, but decided against it, as for the tomb guard, way to expecive points wise

TheWarSmith
11-04-2007, 01:56
TK need 2 skeleton close combat units to tarpit things.

mr_kovacs
11-04-2007, 02:03
exactly!, why would i wonna lose my main bulk of my army for bowmen? are they gonna withstand a unit attacking them NO that why you need skeletons...thats what undead is all about

Marcel
11-04-2007, 03:10
well tomb gaurd can actually fight, so thats why i take them. who said the bowmen cant tarpit, i use them to screen the rest of my troops. bowmen are cheaper (20 for 160 pts).

laughingman
11-04-2007, 03:17
I love bowmen, I think that they are defiinitly worth their points. But food for thought.[dice0]

Maelx
11-04-2007, 14:10
i was thinking about bowmen, but decided against it, as for the tomb guard, way to expecive points wise

Tomb Guard are actually really good at daemon killing and being a fantastic tarpit.

THAT BEING SAID!

It's not worth using a special choice. In fact, I would recommend upgrading your prince to a king SIMPLY to free up another special slot. If you drop the spears for your skeles you should almost have enough points for another special! (a third scorpion! some ushatabis?)

And don't take heavy cav. They suck hard. If you're going with steeds do the chariot thing.

Maelx
11-04-2007, 14:10
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78000

Esco Thomson
11-04-2007, 16:13
Your Tomb Prince is only allowed 50 points of magic items, the Ahnkra is 45 by itself, so I am not sure how you managed to squeeze the spear on as well.

The spears are a waste of points. Your skeleton blocks should be there to act as sponge units, so a better armor save is a lot better than the off chance you get to make a few attacks back, that probably won't hit, or wound.

I would also advise against the large horseman block. It's ok to use a block of 5 to flank with in a LHP led army, as your chariots become special, but with 15 you will have little maneuverability, a huge target on your head, and in reality, not a whole lot of hitting power.

I would also put the hieratic jar on one of the priests, and get the plaque on your LHP. Invaluable on him it is.

Marcel
11-04-2007, 20:28
see? im not crazy. i would also take the king, hes cheaper than the high priest and allows your chariots to be a core choice, which would allow you to more easily take a unit of tomb gaurd, which are deadly with scorpions on the flanks.

gerrymander61
12-04-2007, 01:59
Neither of your priests has any sort of save against anything whatsoever, nor does it seem like you are going to be putting them in units, unless the liche priests go with the heavy cav, which i would question. The high priest has a cloak of the dunes which is a waste of points if you plan to protect him at all.

All i'm saying is that your hierophants are out there in the open, tearing apart their shirts, showing the enemy their bare chests, and saying "SHOOT ME!! oh please for the love of god SHOOT ME NOW!!"

Ur gonna have some dead hierophants fast, meaning your army will crumble from turn one and as ur army isn't particularly fast, you will be too weak to last in combat.

mr_kovacs
12-04-2007, 02:32
well then whats your solution to that then mate? cause if i give him armour thats gonna protect him then i wont be able to give him the cloak of dunes. the way i see it, is he can fly and get out of sticky situations OR he can have some awesome armour but he will be a sitting duck to fast cavalry, cause you do know he can only move 4 inches...tomb kings cant march, i COULD cast that spell that gives an extra movement turn in my magic turn but, what if i dont cast it or someone dispells it or it only lets me move 4 inches then im still a sitting duck for fast cav, so dude, tell me what to do then since your such an expert?

Esco Thomson
12-04-2007, 15:48
Neither of your priests has any sort of save against anything whatsoever, nor does it seem like you are going to be putting them in units, unless the liche priests go with the heavy cav, which i would question. The high priest has a cloak of the dunes which is a waste of points if you plan to protect him at all.

All i'm saying is that your hierophants are out there in the open, tearing apart their shirts, showing the enemy their bare chests, and saying "SHOOT ME!! oh please for the love of god SHOOT ME NOW!!"

Ur gonna have some dead hierophants fast, meaning your army will crumble from turn one and as ur army isn't particularly fast, you will be too weak to last in combat.

Well considering that ARMOR is not an option, the cloak is what most TK players opt for in terms of protection. Maneuverability versus a straight up save. Sure you could give the Golden Ahnkra, but why not just try to avoid combat instead?

Maelx
12-04-2007, 17:00
Good call.

Not to mention how the cloak can move your lich to a place where an EXTREMELY pertinent charge can go off just in the nick of time.

Esco Thomson
12-04-2007, 17:27
Good call.

Not to mention how the cloak can move your lich to a place where an EXTREMELY pertinent charge can go off just in the nick of time.

Also a very good point I left out. Most veteran players will tell you that the movement phase is one of, if not THE single most important phase of the game. Having maneuverability is key to victory. Being in range with our abyssmally short ranged incantations is something the CoD helps remedy. In my many experiences, a 4+ Ward Save will still not save a Lich Preist from dying, if your opponent wants him, they can generally take him down.

Just take a page from Sir Robin, and bravely run(or fly) a way.

gerrymander61
12-04-2007, 18:03
one volley from a sizeable unit will take them down

Maelx
12-04-2007, 18:37
stastically you'll need 3/4 wounds to kill him as opposed to 2.

"Sizable unit"? that's crap. You need 5 dwarf handgunners. There are much better ways to keep characters out of combat.

gerrymander61
12-04-2007, 18:42
my bad, sizeable was the wrong word to use in that case.

still thou, those chars are dead, or at least, the hierophant is turn 1 or 2

Maelx
12-04-2007, 18:51
Uhh, put him in a unit? There's NO way that your character should be dying turn 1.

Marcel
12-04-2007, 19:22
cloak of dunes is awesome, keep the hierophant away from danger. what do the TK have for ward saves? amulet of protection and the golden ankhra? i think those are points better spent on other things, (scrolls, the jar, the cloak, etc)

gerrymander61
12-04-2007, 20:01
The point of my comment earlier was to address the fact that he WASN'T putting his chars in a unit. He can put his mounted priests in his one unit of heavy cav, but that's basically it. Unless he wants to waste the points he just put into the cloak of the dunes by sticking him in a unit.

Basically, AS THINGS ARE, his characters are not protected. This is the main problem I see with your army. It will crumble from turn 1

Esco Thomson
12-04-2007, 20:06
The point of my comment earlier was to address the fact that he WASN'T putting his chars in a unit. He can put his mounted priests in his one unit of heavy cav, but that's basically it. Unless he wants to waste the points he just put into the cloak of the dunes by sticking him in a unit.

Basically, AS THINGS ARE, his characters are not protected. This is the main problem I see with your army. It will crumble from turn 1

He can put his mounted priests in his warrior blocks as well...

The cloak is good because like the horses, he can get away further, and faster from combats, before they engage, and tool around the field to where he is needed.

For example, start game with liches in units, leave by steed, or cloak before enemy engages you, find neat spots to chill, and cast away, or run off to other units and join them.

Timk1111
12-04-2007, 20:46

Right, coz no one is allowed to change their tactics when they play different opponents....

If he was playing against chaos, it would be much different to dwarfs, for in stance. So, Im sure he could start his guys in units if he needed to to protect them.

BTW, the army only crumbles if the Heirophant dies, and the army only has one (and this one can fly). The way you word things, its like if anyone dies, the army crumbles...

Also, mr-kovacs, pelase tell us when yoour list hasbeen updated. As it is, id drop the 4+ ward on the high priest, and give one of the other priests the staff of ravening. Nothing like even more spells to cast. Plus, flight should protect him enough.

Id then drop a priest and getan icon bearer with the warbanner, and join the horse men, Combat res 6 before anything starts for ANY cav unit rocks, letalone undead. Plus,you'de probably save a few points.

Give one skeleton unit bows. Just for flexibliy. It will help against skermishers and things in woods. Plus, they can still tarpit.

Regards, Tim

Marcel
13-04-2007, 04:43
yeah i dont think our friend here is going to wait until he gets charged to move his priest. i always take the cloak, since you cant charge into a combat with it, its obvious the designers meant for it to be a tool of the priesthood. with a 12" range on the best spells, you really need the ability to fly.

CarlostheCraven
13-04-2007, 11:18
Hi

A good start to a decent list.

My favorite build for a High Priest is Cloakon the Dunes, Collar of Shapesh, and the Staff of Ravening. Generally, you want him to be near (or in units) to maximize his ability to augment them through magic. The Collar provides you with lost cost protection as long as your maintain close proximity.

I prefer to place my princes in my blocks of infantry to at least give me the possibility of winning combat. A low-key prince with great weapon (104 points) is an excellent choice. Mind you, this is your general,so purchasing the Golden Ankhra would not be a bad idea.

Furthermore, your chariot unit should be used to flank your opponent, in which case a character is not necessary, or used to destroy lights units that have no ranks.

Your skeleton warrior units are too small to be really effective - the minimum size block for a TK list is 25, although 30 would be better. TK lack the raising ability to keep these units topped up if both nits come under duress. Besides, the strength of TK magic does not lie in raising, but rather on movement and additional shooting. You can find more points by reducing the heavy horsemen unit.

A second unit of 3 chariots would be a better bang for your buck than the horsemen. The horsemen simply lack the staying power to be useful, and the hitting power to break a lot of enemies on the first round - 6 str 4 attacks and 5 strenth 3 attacks is not hot on low WS undead, IMO.

The Carrion - it might just be me, but I find that 3 carrion (or fell bats or Terradons, the other flyers I use) simply does not cut it for war machine hunting. You need 4 carrion to survive a turn of shooting/magic and still be effective against a war machine.

I like the rest of the list, although a second catapult would be fantastic, especially with 3 priests floating around.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven