PDA

View Full Version : Irrate Cawdor Player

Magistrate
11-04-2007, 03:58
This is as much a rant as it is a question. We rolled up our first ever Necromunda gangs and I chose Cawdor because I liked both the aesthetic feel and the amount of fire-based weaponry, as well as close combat, involved with them. Only afterwards did I find out that I can only purchase Knives as close combat weapons.

Seriously, WTF? Is this some kind of snarky 'fix' to how many potential hand flamers I can take ( which appear to have their own draw backs to begin with.. )? I'm just baffled by the fact that I have so many gangers rolling up solid Close Combat and Ferocity skills, only to find out that I can't even give them a weapon to efficiently utilize those skills. Just.. blech.

devolutionary
11-04-2007, 04:01
The Cawdor listing in the new rulebook has always perplexed me, and much for those reasons. They seem geared to long range warfare rather than short-ranged firefighting, especially, as you say, with those skills. They need swords and clubs and chainswords. They're nutters, after all.

Thankfully we use the old rulebooks, so no dramas from our perspective :D

Catferret
11-04-2007, 04:07
Yup, ignore the House Specific Weapons! Go by the old system where you could have lots of common stuff.

Magistrate
11-04-2007, 04:16
I sent an e-mail to my group, telling them of my findings. I was also not aware that Heavies can have Basic equipment, which would be nice considering how easy it is to fail those ammo rolls!

execution of all things
11-04-2007, 05:48
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a few redemptionist models with pistols so I can make my Cawdor a little more CC oriented.

The Judge
20-04-2007, 19:06
Seriously, I would consider not playing with the new rules at all - there was nothing gained I think that justifies the rather *off* rules like the ones you mention. In my gaming group, we use the old Necromunda rules, and play as if the new set never happened.

Psychofakeout
21-04-2007, 01:36
The Cawdor weapons list has never really bothered me. I play them mostly as a short range firepower gang, with lots of bolters and shotguns. Agility skills are pretty useful, like dodge and sprint.

gitburna
08-05-2007, 15:59
This is as much a rant as it is a question. We rolled up our first ever Necromunda gangs and I chose Cawdor because I liked both the aesthetic feel and the amount of fire-based weaponry, as well as close combat, involved with them. Only afterwards did I find out that I can only purchase Knives as close combat weapons.

Seriously, WTF? Is this some kind of snarky 'fix' to how many potential hand flamers I can take ( which appear to have their own draw backs to begin with.. )? I'm just baffled by the fact that I have so many gangers rolling up solid Close Combat and Ferocity skills, only to find out that I can't even give them a weapon to efficiently utilize those skills. Just.. blech.

But you can still buy all those weapons in subsequent "turns" they just sorta count as rare as per page 97. By the time you've started rolling up ferocity and combat skills you should have enough to buy them then...

Festus
08-05-2007, 16:23
Yes, what is the problem, you can load out on pistols of all kinds (includig HandFlamers and Boltpistols), which is more than enough to have in h-t-h combat...

Festus