PDA

View Full Version : large-base characters in small-base units

ReDavide
07-04-2005, 18:28
Say I want to have my warlock engineer (on a 25mm base) join a unit of clanrats (20mm base).

How should I fit him in? Am I allowed to just stick him in the middle of the front rank and shuffle bases backwards & to the side to fit him in? Am I allowed to just have him overlap bases a little with his companions? Do I need to stick him in a corner?

Sylass
07-04-2005, 18:36
Warlock Engineers use 20mm bases too...same as Clanrats. So it's not really a problem. Or am I missing something here? :?

taer
07-04-2005, 19:40
You can stick him wherever you like in the front rank. If the base size was larger still, say a cavalry base then he would take up one model in the front rank, and one model in the rank behind. And if a character model takes up more than the one space, than any extra spaces he takes up count as 1 regular model from the regiment for determining things like if you have enough models in a rank to get a rank bonus. (eg. 6 marauders joined by an aspiring champion on a chaos steed would get a rank bonus of one! (Warhammer Annual 2003))

However, you aren't permitted to put models on larger bases than they are supposed to be on, excepting 25 and 20mm infantry bases because no-body is that up-tight, in order to gain dubious advantages.

Oh, and I think Warlock engineers are typically on 20mm bases.

PelsBoble
08-04-2005, 06:11
The info on the Base chart on the GW pages says that the warlock should be on a 20 x 20 base. So it shouldnt be a problem to join him in a reg :

ReDavide
08-04-2005, 18:12
Ah, that clears everything up. I'd bought him 2nd-hand and had assumed he was on the right base. Thanks for the help.

Now I just have to figure out how to cram the poor thing onto a 20mm one. :eek:

squiggoth
08-04-2005, 19:12
Do you have that old Ikit Klaw guy? He won't fit on a 20mm one unless you either put him on the base diagonally, or perched on some scenic piece of rock, tree stump or Halfling stepladder.
All the 4th edition Skaven special characters have that problem; Queek, Snikch, Skrolk... They've all been eating too much beef :p
The new Warlocks, and the old "non-Ikit" Warlocks, fit on a 20mm base just fine.