PDA

View Full Version : Stormtrooper154 does Eldar

stormtrooper154
11-04-2007, 20:36
Ive decided to dedicate a whole thread to my latest army project - Eldar. So far I have done a Farseer, Wraithlord and one Ranger.

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04038.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04040.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04044.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04045.jpg

At the moment I have a Warlock, Guardian squad and the rest of the Ranger squad to do.

bravefew
11-04-2007, 20:38
Wow! Stunning and great bases as well. What did you put on the base? Leaves?

stormtrooper154
11-04-2007, 20:55
Wow! Stunning and great bases as well. What did you put on the base? Leaves?

Yes they are from www.barrule.com

Great Harlequin
11-04-2007, 21:18
Ooo, cracking jobs there. The Wraithlord's particularly fine - that plum red really compliments the black really nicely. Is this another intended tourney army, or more of a showcase army?

Looking forward to seeing more!

Deadleyheadley
11-04-2007, 21:30
They look sweet :) and the bases are cool :)

stormtrooper154
11-04-2007, 21:49
Ooo, cracking jobs there. The Wraithlord's particularly fine - that plum red really compliments the black really nicely. Is this another intended tourney army, or more of a showcase army?

Im building it as a tournament army with an eye on this years UKGT heats, although Im trying to make it the nicest looking army Ive done to date.

The plum red is just 3-4 layers of red gore over black, the picture just makes it appear plum like.

MIGHTYPanhead
11-04-2007, 21:50
Your Eldar seem to have a habit of holding out their left arms ;)

I really like the farseer and wraithlord, but the green weapons of the ranger meld with the body a bit too much for me. Maybe some more colours on them?

Still, will be interesting to see this come together.

sanctusmortis
11-04-2007, 23:36
Damnit, you always do good stuff! The bone and the blades are superb, utterly, and I assume the Ranger still has a few layers left to do, or that the camera's just not getting the lighting right.

Nice colour scheme, for sure.

Heero-Severus
11-04-2007, 23:59
Hey these look great... but they look so familiar :P teehehe,, goodjob keep it up :D

FearFrost
12-04-2007, 00:45
Sweet!

My suggestion is to take the hightlights on the models up a notch, or work in some lighter colors. As of now, the bases are so much more eye catching than the models themeselves, and thats probably not what you want ;)

The farseer seems the most visually balanced of the bunch, probably because of the bone areas that compete with the light colors on the base....whereas the WL and Ranger dont really have that.

Nice work, keep posting!

stormtrooper154
12-04-2007, 09:25
Your Eldar seem to have a habit of holding out their left arms ;)

Well spotted, completely coincidental that the 3 models I paint first all have the same pose :p

I really like the farseer and wraithlord, but the green weapons of the ranger meld with the body a bit too much for me. Maybe some more colours on them?

My aim with the Rangers is for them to be heavily camo'd as they are snipers at the end of the day.

Damnit, you always do good stuff! The bone and the blades are superb, utterly, and I assume the Ranger still has a few layers left to do, or that the camera's just not getting the lighting right.

Nice colour scheme, for sure.

Thanks for the comment, the Ranger is finished. As I said above he is finished and meant to be a bit darker than the rest. Your right about the camera not getting the light right. I tried again this morning and the picture was no better.

As far as a progress report goes, Im currently working on the rest of the Ranger squad today, not sure if I will get them finished though, but you never know ;)

Firestorm Falcon
12-04-2007, 11:08
Very nice crisp colours and the wraithlords pose works well. I'm watching you...

Smokedog
12-04-2007, 12:09
I would like to see them in better lighting also. You could try making the background blue but the floor white, maybe that will help reflect some light?

Failing that turn the lights off and take a picture with flash...

Cheers!

stormtrooper154
13-04-2007, 12:31
Well I managed to finish off the Rangers this morning and Im very pleased with the way they have turned out.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04050.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04052.jpg

I also bought another Wraithlord and a Falcon yesterday. I built the Wraithlord this morning and decided to attempt a running pose for it. I decided I needed to have something in my army that is converted as in tournaments its worth an extra point or two. So far I have converted both of my Wraithlords, the second one more so.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04055.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04057.jpg

What do you think?

Next Im going to build the Falcon and probably paint the Warlock. Im going to hold off doing my Guardians until the foundation paints are released.

Arhalien
13-04-2007, 12:35
Very nice work; I really like the reds on the wraithlord and farseer :). Great posing on the wraithlords as well.

I'll follow this with interest :D

Nife
13-04-2007, 14:00
I'll echo what people have already said - fantastic looking mini's, I too really like the bases and the second Wraithlord pose is brilliant.

I'd be interested how you find working with the basing materials too - been looking into getting some since I saw the original post here. And is that cork you are using as well?

:)

Luthien
13-04-2007, 14:15
very nice :D

silveryfox
13-04-2007, 15:01
Looks alot like an Eldar army I didn't win at Ebay a few days ago... Did you win it? If so, should look great togheter.

Like the running pose of the 'lord.

Heero-Severus
13-04-2007, 15:27
Looks alot like an Eldar army I didn't win at Ebay a few days ago... Did you win it? If so, should look great togheter.

That would be the army I sold then :) which is on its way to spain :)

These are looking great, Loving the wraithlord poses, how many lords are you taking?

crandall87
13-04-2007, 15:28
Them bases are just awesome. You should make a board to match.

stormtrooper154
13-04-2007, 15:41
I'd be interested how you find working with the basing materials too - been looking into getting some since I saw the original post here. And is that cork you are using as well?

The bases are made from 4mm thickness corkboard which is excellent for making bases as its easy to break into small pieces that look like rocks. The leaves are fiddly to get right, all I did was put models in an old plastic box, pour the pva glue where I wanted leaves, and then sprinkle the bag over them and leave them to dry.

I have to admit I did take alot of inspiration from Heero-Severus, and after playing against the army at Carnage last month I just had to do it.

These are looking great, Loving the wraithlord poses, how many lords are you taking?

In my 1500pt list Im taking 2 plus the Falcon for my heavy support, but if I decide to take the army up to 2-3k like I do with any army I make I will make another, even if its just for display - I just think its such a cool model and I already have a pose idea for a third one ;)

Great Harlequin
13-04-2007, 17:15
Wonderful bases, and just echoing everyone else here in that the Wraithlord's awesome! They're so elegant now, and yours goes to show just how dynamic you can make them. Are you using the Rangers as Pathfinders btw?

Oh, and I left you a little query on my bat-rep thread if you could check that out. :)

stormtrooper154
14-04-2007, 09:11
Are you using the Rangers as Pathfinders btw?

Yup.

Oh, and I left you a little query on my bat-rep thread if you could check that out. :)

I will send you a pm regarding our first game.

Great Harlequin
19-04-2007, 13:04
Anymore progress on the Eldar? I want to see the pair of Wraithlords together! My Dad's done something similar with his Rangers but to cityfight camo, as although they're not as bright as everything else (namely the old Harlequin models) they shouldn't be. (Plus it always looks cool to see a unit blend in with terrain, I can't believe how many people can miss noticing where they are sometimes, and forgetting to shoot them. I always have to point them out just in case :p)

P.S Thanks for the pm, hopefully the Tyranids will win the overall campaign with some rejiggling of the rules.

stormtrooper154
19-04-2007, 13:49
Progress with the Eldar has been a bit slow this week due to some nice weather and going back to work. I have started the second Wraithlord and am around 85% through it, hopefully I can get it done by the end of the weekend.

Ive also finalized my armylist. I dont want to go with the cookiecutter lists and while I know it can be made tougher, Im sticking with the units with the models I like.

HQ:

ELITES:

6 Howling Banshees
Exarch w/ Executioner, Warshout 123pts

TROOPS:

6 Pathfinders 144pts

10 Wraithguard
Warlock - Conceal 390pts

FAST ATTACK:

Vyper - Brightlance 75pts

Vyper - Brightlance 75pts

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Wraithlord - BL/SC 170pts

Wraithlord - BL/SC 170pts

Falcon
SC/ Holofield/ Vec. engines 195pts

Comes in at 1498pts.

So with a unit of Wraithguard the cost of the army has rocketed - but to get the perfect looking army I prepared to spend the extra pennies.

There will be updates with pictures soon.

Arhalien
19-04-2007, 16:06
Very Iyanden-ish list that. Someone had the idea somewhere of using the epic revenant titans as Wraithguard. They're a bit more expensive but better looking IMO. Something you may want to consider?

I look forward to more

stormtrooper154
21-04-2007, 17:15
Update time. Ive finished the second Wraithlord this afternoon and Im pleased with how its turned out. The free hand work needs a little neatening up but I can go back to it like I did on the first Wraithlord.
I also managed to pick up a pot of Mechrite red, from the new foundation paint set so I cancelled my order for the boxed set at Warhammer world as the red was the only colour I wanted.

Heres what you wanted to see GH.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04060.jpg

And from another angle.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04061.jpg

Next up is going to be my Warlock for my Wraithguard unit and after that it will be the Falcon. Im also going to have a play with the Mechrite red on one of the now redundant Guardians to see how it affects the Red gore that Im using.

Heero-Severus
21-04-2007, 18:44
Wow, they look awsome together,, good job :D

dave is the best
21-04-2007, 19:39
They are sweet.

Great Harlequin
21-04-2007, 20:52
Heres what you wanted to see GH.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04060.jpg
:eek:

They are absolutely stunning - fantastic job! Wraithlords are just such a more attractive choice for me over say, a Falcon purely for that look. Normally I'd really dislike the lack of highlights on the base coats, but you've done it so smoothly that it looks like alien material which just sucks light in - wonderful look. :cool:

Your freehand on the Wraithhelms is top quality - you ought to do more of it, as by the looks of things you look to be exceedingly comfortable with it.

Looking forward to more, and hopefully see it in the flesh sometime. :)

stormtrooper154
21-04-2007, 20:57
I agree with the highlighting issue. Its the first army Ive not highlighted, but it seems to work well.

Ive started the Warlock and I decided to use the Mechrite red which works well as a base coat but makes the Red gore appear brighter so I probably wont be using it to do this army.

Arhalien
22-04-2007, 11:24
I also managed to pick up a pot of Mechrite red, from the new foundation paint set so I cancelled my order for the boxed set at Warhammer world as the red was the only colour I wanted.

How did you get that? That's the only colour that I want atm as well, but as it is I need to wait until June before I can get it :(.

Fantastic wraithlords btw, really, really good :D

mattrs
24-04-2007, 08:24
Yet a again a fine top class looking army well done mate :D

After facing your drop pod army on the table i have to say they looked better than the pics and im thinking this army will be no diffrent. Cant wait to meet them on the battlefield :evilgrin:

Keep it up

stormtrooper154
25-04-2007, 17:25
Time for an update. Ive finished painting the Falcon, and am pleased with how it has turned out. Here are a couple of pictures.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04068.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04070.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/stormtrooper81/Eldar/DSC04071.jpg

All that needs doing is the base, I got hold of some of the 60mm round bases today for the Falcon and the Vypers so expect to see the bases done soon. I also recieved the first 4 of the 10 Wraithguard I bought of ebay so they will be the next part of the army I do.

Smokedog
25-04-2007, 17:32
first 4??

I was bidding on 4 wraithguard... maybe you were the one out bidding me... grumbles...

oh, nice falcon btw.

Arhalien
25-04-2007, 17:41
Wow! :eek:

Superb Falcon, really superb. How do you make the red so smooth?

stormtrooper154
25-04-2007, 17:49
Superb Falcon, really superb. How do you make the red so smooth?

Thanks for the comments. The red was done by just doing lots of layers (5 or 6 in the end) and then a watered down layer to smooth out the brush strokes.

Im currently doing the base for it so hopefully I can get some pictures of it up later.

e033x
26-04-2007, 20:52
very nice indeed! i really like the combinations of colors, and the poses on the wraithlord are really nice!

any hope for some aspect warriors in the near future??

Murag
26-04-2007, 20:59
I think this thread needs some love.

*throws a 5*

Your painting style is very crisp and neat and the colour scheme, while rather dark and gloomy, fits the Eldar well.

stormtrooper154
27-04-2007, 07:03
very nice indeed! i really like the combinations of colors, and the poses on the wraithlord are really nice!

any hope for some aspect warriors in the near future??

Next on the agenda is the 10 Wraithguard, Im hoping to start work on these this weekend as 6 of them need the paint stripping off them.

I think this thread needs some love.

*throws a 5*

Your painting style is very crisp and neat and the colour scheme, while rather dark and gloomy, fits the Eldar well.

Thanks very much for your vote. Plus I like dark and gloomy armies ;)