PDA

View Full Version : Moonstone of the Hidden Ways/Deepwood Sphere... your experiences?

enyoss
11-04-2007, 23:39
Hi there,

I've just emerged from my first outings with Wood Elves and have had surprising success with these items.

I took the Deepwood Sphere for a bit of a change but didn't really think it would be that great. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to Moonstone my Spell Singer into a wood containing a 30 strong unit of Tomb Guard, managing to toast a good 20 of them.

I had similar experiences with the Moonstone where apart from the situation above, I found it was absolutely indisposable. The possibility of having either a hard hitting unit of Wardancers or a ranked unit of Eternal Guard getting behind my opponents' lines seemed to really put them off their game.

So, I was wondering what other player's experiences were like with these items? In all fairness this was the first time my opponents' had seen a Wood Elf army, so are these things only effective against unsuspecting players?

Thanks in advance for the feedback :).

Cheers,

enyoss

RavenBloodwind
12-04-2007, 02:20
I think you have to consider the point range in which you're playing, but at ~2-2.5k the moonstone is fine. At 35 pts it may seem spendy for a one-use item, but to be able to move an entire unit any distance provided they land in trees is huge, as you've seen. Limited by terrain to a degree, but if you put a forest in both deployment zones this will always work for you. In bigger games moving a single unit may have less impact on the outcome and in smaller games (1k) 35 points may be too big an investment.

The deepwood sphere is more of a mixed bag. At 25 pts there are probably better things you could invest in in many cases. It does allow you to reroll the distance or hit-d6 for treesinging (yawn) and can really hurt anything in a wood with you. I strongly suspect that your opponent will not be entering many more woods if he thinks you'll take this again and for that reason it may be more of a 'one trick pony'. There are few reasons your opponent will opt to enter woods once he's seen that happen.

tortoise
12-04-2007, 10:45
What were 30 tomb guard doing in a wood anyway?

Ranked units should never really enter woods and I find that once people are aware of what the wood elves can do to units that even go near a wood they tend to avoid them.

kyussinchains
12-04-2007, 12:19

Ranked units should never really enter woods and I find that once people are aware of what the wood elves can do to units that even go near a wood they tend to avoid them.

as another of enyoss's opponents who was burned by these items I can speak for the tomb kings player, we didnt know about this deepwood sphere, and so to stop the magical teleporting wardancers/eternal guard appearing behind our lines, we put a unit inside the offending woods to plug the hole

that's why!

enyoss
12-04-2007, 13:10

I think he had just defeated my unit of Wardancers including a Noble, so in an attempt to get rid of them for good he pursued them from combat. This pursuit left him in the wood, so in my turn I just moonstoned over and vaped them!

Cheers,

enyoss

night2501
12-04-2007, 13:48
good items, the teleport stone is great for wardancers, an as they said, just put one wood o neach side and you are set ( how evil XD ) , but don`t take it always just most of the time they won`t know wath to expect
and the moonsstone, is great, but pople tend to stay away of forest after a few treesing treerot and the moonstone ... wonder why ... so is good to take it once in a while, the oponent will never know till is too late :D

Alathir
12-04-2007, 16:01
I find the deepwood sphere to be something I always give my spellsingers, I just plonk them in a wood and enjoy the protection. It gives them great protection against pretty much all skirmisher mage hunter and whatnot.

One of my favs.