PDA

View Full Version : Characters leaving Units

Lorquas
12-04-2007, 14:02
Hi

Hopefully a very quick answer required. When a character joins a unit he only has to touch it to join and he is then placed in front row.

When a charcter leaves a unit does he move from his actual position or can he leave the unit from any position within it?

Thanks

Lorquas

Festus
12-04-2007, 14:27
From the current actual position.

And remember, when he joins, he may not use the joining to move more than his usual allowance.

Festus

DeathlessDraich
12-04-2007, 17:34
I was contemplating reviving an old debate about some aspects of this but I'll leave it if the thread initiator is happy with the reply. :angel:

Lorquas
13-04-2007, 09:02
Just to clarify what Festus says then. When you join you can not move more than your allowance - but I thought you had to palce the Character in the front row!?!? What if he is joining a unit of 30 Goblins in 5 Ranks - if he joins from the rear (oh er) and gets moved to the front then this could mean an extra 3-4 inches move.

Is it therefore the case that if the character doesn't have enough move to make it to the front of the unit then he can not join?!

Thanks

Lorquas

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-04-2007, 11:18
Yup. If you can't make it to the front, you can't join.

DeathlessDraich
13-04-2007, 11:24
Here we go again:p

The rules state that a character has successfully joined a unit as soon as he/she is able to make contact with any part of that unit.

The rules also state the character must be placed in the front rank if possible. I see this as a 'placement' and not movement but I think Festus will disagree. :p

The rules state that the character cannot move more than his maximum distance. This is in reference to a character moving into a unit which then moves. The total movement of the character, to the unit and then with the unit cannot exceed the character's maximum movement.

The last time we debated this [6th ed rules] there were 3 big guns pummeling me with an opposite view - Festus, T10 and Atrahasis. Join me and provide me with a Ward save Lorquas. :p

Festus
13-04-2007, 11:55
Hi

Oh my, poor old DDraich gets hurt badly - again ;)

Read p. 74, left column, 3rd paragraph of the BRB and decide for yourself. :p

Festus

sds661
13-04-2007, 11:59
Certainly against my regular opponents we would play the way DD says, and it "feels right". However I guess the counter argument is that wily (unscrupulous?) opponents could use it to advantage; joining a long thin unit of missile troops and being instantly "teleported" to the far end, so that next turn they can leave having effectively gained an extra 6,8 or 10 inches of movement. Not sure that that "feels right". I'm guessing that it is the prospect of just this sort of manouevre which upset the big three?