PDA

View Full Version : 500 points left

Icedraik277
12-04-2007, 19:15
I am making a 1500 point O and G army and I already got 1000 of it bur I need some help on the last 500. I was thinkning of getting 20 black orcs and for the remainder of the points not sure what to get. I already have my rare choice, 1 of the 3 special choices and all my heroes. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

gerrymander61
12-04-2007, 20:02
What is in your army currently?

Icedraik277
12-04-2007, 21:00
For heros I have:
Night goblin Big boss
Night goblin Shaman
Black Orc big Boss On boar

Core:
30 night goblin spearmen
20 night goblin archers
10 Spider Riders
2 Fanatics
Special:
2 spear chukkas

Rare:
5 Ogre Ironguts
(Because I play against ogres alot i decided to stick some in.)

knightwatch
12-04-2007, 21:13
Well if it was me, I would be buying another box of Skull Pass. That would give you another block of spears, archers, and spider riders. Just base they are 350pts.

Add to that a block of 20 Orc Boyz with command, you are looking at close to 500pts, more muscle and for not much money.

Icedraik277
13-04-2007, 16:47
Alright Thanks for the advice. Do oyu think having more guys like that will be effective against ogres?

knightwatch
13-04-2007, 17:06
One of the best ways to be any Ogre style unit is through Static Combat Resolution (SCR). Let’s do the math:

1 unit of 4 Ogre Bulls ...140pts

vs

1 unit of 30 Night Goblin
Spears, Full Command ...140pts

If both units hit head on, right off the bat you have a SCR of 5 before any dice are thrown (Standard, 3 Ranks, Outnumber). That means that the Ogres have to kill 6 goblins before you lose combat, and that is only if he doesn’t take any wounds to his unit.

Now here is the down side: his unit causes Fear, has higher WS, and his St is higher than your To. The dice are in his favor but he still has to make the rolls. But don't forget, you get to roll too.

Icedraik277
13-04-2007, 21:40
Yeah that does make sense. Ok I will proboly do that then. Thanks.

Rodman49
14-04-2007, 00:19
One of the best ways to be any Ogre style unit is through Static Combat Resolution (SCR). Letís do the math:

1 unit of 4 Ogre Bulls ...140pts

vs

1 unit of 30 Night Goblin
Spears, Full Command ...140pts

If both units hit head on, right off the bat you have a SCR of 5 before any dice are thrown (Standard, 3 Ranks, Outnumber). That means that the Ogres have to kill 6 goblins before you lose combat, and that is only if he doesnít take any wounds to his unit.

Now here is the down side: his unit causes Fear, has higher WS, and his St is higher than your To. The dice are in his favor but he still has to make the rolls. But don't forget, you get to roll too.

Gah, do the math?!? You didn't even finish it man! A quick time with Excel shows the Ogres cause 5.33 wounds while the Night Goblins cause 1.83 wounds. So the Ogres have cause 5 wounds and you have caused 2 wounds. He's up by three. You have standard, he's up by two. You outnumber (15 to 12) so he's up one. You have two rank bonus so now you're up one!

Statistically you win and he has to take a break test at 6, a tough proposition indeed. Even if he has a better than average roll (and kills 6) you have a musician and win ties! Even that leaves him taking a break test at 7, not exactly the kind of odds any player wants.

What do we learn from this? Its hard for even relatively crack troops like Ogres to beat a ranked of unit of puny Night Gobbos with command!

knightwatch
14-04-2007, 00:51
Can't do all the work for them... just enough to get them thinking.