PDA

View Full Version : Sustained fire rules query

Anathema
12-04-2007, 20:21
Just wondering what happens when you opt for a sustained burst of fire using single shot weaponry.
As it is I understand that the number of shots of the second ammo point used is halved (eg. Scatter lasers at close range fire 6+3 shots in one turn using 2 ammo points), but how does this apply to single shot weapons?

By RAW, a lascannon would fire one shot normally, and then a second shot at half value for a total of 1.5 shots. Combined with the "round up" rule, this would round up to give a full 2 shots. This seems counter intuitive as the whole point is that you get to use more ammo when in a good position, but you get less shots to balance it. With single shot weaponry, there is no disadvantage.
Should single shot weapons be allowed to opt to use sustained fire? Is it a valid tactic or a loophole? (My money's on unintended loophole.)

rev
12-04-2007, 20:34
I don't think its that much of a loophole.

While you don't exceed the max shots of the weapon, you decrease the weapons effectivness to 2 turns in the case of a lightning fighter.

I think its perfectly valid.

mageboltrat
12-04-2007, 20:39
totally legal. And quite scary.

Anathema
12-04-2007, 20:56
Fair enough, it all came about while I was pondering the fairly low chance of doing anything much with bright lances, but I realised that it would be a valid alternative to have two shots at medium range with them (0.55 hits optimum, but with more chance of extra damage) rather than 1 lance and 3 shuriken cannon (0.6 hits optimum) shots and save the shuricannon ammo for a sustained burst when within 6".

If you guys think its OK, then I'll go with it, I just didn't want to be accused of rules lawyering before having even played the game.

Anathema
13-04-2007, 13:31
Further to this, can you sustain fire when strafing? I don't see any restriction on it, but I thought I'd see.

Gen_eV
13-04-2007, 13:51
Whyever not? I see no problem with that at all.

Of course, I'm looking forward to playing some ground attack missions with my soon-to-be-delivered Manta, and anything that improves the chance of me taking out the objective in one volley has got to be a good thing. :evilgrin:

Anathema
13-04-2007, 15:37
I was mainly thinking for the Marauder Destroyer, and how it could use both its bombs and strafe with all of its Autocannon ammo in one bombing run due to it needing to go from height 1 to height 3 within 18" and then taking about 6 turns to get another pass.