PDA

View Full Version : Arming a Griffon-riding Elector Count

shutupSHUTUP!!!
12-04-2007, 22:59
How would you go about it? I know many people would not take a Griffon to begin with, but this thread assumes you do for some reason and you need to buy equipment for your general.

My all-comers configuration looks like this:

Empire General 392 Points
Sword of power, full plate armour, enchanted shield, holy relic, griffon.

Thats str6 with a 2+ save and 4+ ward save, good all-round. The enchanted shield could be replaced with the sigil of sigmar for magic resistance. The downside of this configuration is that the Elector Count is often ignored entirely and my opponents direct all their attacks on the griffon.

I've been considering two other options, basically no magical items or a runefang.

Empire General 301 Points
Lance, shield, full plate armour, griffon.

Empire General 395 Points
Runefang, shield, full plate armour, griffon.

Other items of note are the shroud of magnus and laurels of victory. Anyway I'd love to hear other peoples views about this.

RavenBloodwind
12-04-2007, 23:40
As you said, generally the answer is "don't".

Aside from that the issues are survivability and killiness. Your current build is fine although the sword of power is a big chunk of points for a 'lance bonus every turn'. If you aren't winning your combats by a lot you're fighting the wrong units. Laurels of victory can help you win combats but is rather spendy.

Survivability, I'm inclined to go with Meteoric iron (3 pts more than full plate and enchanted shield to go to 1+ save). If you have to have a ward save might as well make it a 4+. Unfortunately you don't have any items to protect your mount like some other armies (wood elves) have so your poor griffon is going to take it on the chin if anything retaliates and his share of the shooting hits as well.

For this reason I think anything that decreases your opponents retaliatory strikes is beneficial. Options include sword of striking (you'll hit on 2s mostly), Wyrmslayer will help you wound higher toughness critters to kill more, or shield of the Gorgon (wouldn't take with meteoric necessarily) spares you one attack back.

Alternatively, If you don't mind the smell of limburger you could take Karl himself. He's obviously the most over-equipped griffon rider you can get.

Another use (not worth the cost) is just as a flying terror base. You could conceivably tool up to be annoying and take the doomfire ring and a missile weapon and just land beside units, shoot and magic them and then wait for them to take terror tests in their turn. Obviously this is a poor tactic unless you're fighting a low-leadership, low-shooting army.

Deftoneus
13-04-2007, 00:13
For this reason I think anything that decreases your opponents retaliatory strikes is beneficial. Options include sword of striking (you'll hit on 2s mostly), Wyrmslayer will help you wound higher toughness critters to kill more, or shield of the Gorgon (wouldn't take with meteoric necessarily) spares you one attack back.

Agreed. If points isn't a real option, then items like the Runefang will help to make sure that there isn't much left standing to attack poor gryphie.

Thats what I would end up doing (hell, I'm wasting 200 on the Gryphon...what's 100 more? :p )

Tutore
13-04-2007, 06:29
I would keep the model as cheap as possible. You try to protect him flying away from problems, and then hit where you donīt risk too much. So you can field many troops; in a perfect world he will concentrate some efforts to kill your beast, which however is too far away from problems (missile fire...) to risk to lose the model, and you kill him with the other part of the army, the main part.

Sanjuro
13-04-2007, 10:29
...what's 100 more?

The best part of another infantry regiment. :)

Deftoneus
13-04-2007, 11:26
The best part of another infantry regiment. :)

lol...my point exactly. The 200 points spent on the gryphon could well be used elsewhere...such as the ENTIRE part of an infantry regiment plus change :p

Makaber
13-04-2007, 13:10
I wouldn't dismiss the griffon completely, though. However, tooling up the rider for defense too much is a bit naff, since the Griffon is a real liabilty. Go for a pre-emptive defense with a good offense.

Rodman49
13-04-2007, 23:25
Is a Griffon with character US5?

Jackster
14-04-2007, 03:20
yep, unless you are Karl Franz! :D
the biggest short coming of Griffon is that it has no save.
And most of the time i prefer the general to be in a good unit of Greatswords.
If I want war machine hunting, i prefer a captain on a pegasus. A lot cheaper, and doesnt matter that much if he dies. (assuming he is not the army general.)
But if i do take a griffon, I would give a Griffon rider, Armor of Meteric Iron, Icon of Magnus and a lance, well protected against normal attack, magic and things that ignore your armor save.
Hide him behind your unit to provide leadership, then pop out for a flank or rear charge.