PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Bretonnian list

Caligula
13-04-2007, 02:22
Here's my first shot at a 2000 point Bretonnian force...I've included a decent amount of peasant soldiery simply because I, like a lot of people, don't particularly like the 100% Knight route for the Brets....serfs are cool;) Anyway, here's the list. Please let me know what you think about it, and how you think it would fare.

Bretonnian Lord-
Lance
Shield
Royal Pegasus
Birth Sword of Carcassone
Gromril Great Helm
@234pts.

Paladin-
Battle Standard
barded Bretonnian Warhorse
Sword of Might
Cuirass of Fortune
@114pts.

Damsel of the Lady-
Level 2
barded Bretonnian Warhorse
The Silver Mirror
Potion Sacre
@169pts.

Damsel of the Lady-
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
@120pts.

8 Knights of the Realm-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Gallant
@216pts.
*Paladin Battle Standard joins this unit

9 Knights of the Realm-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Gallant
@240pts.

20 Men-at-arms-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Yeoman Warden
@127pts.

16 Peasant Bowmen
@96pts.

12 Peasant Bowmen-
Skirmish
@84pts.

6 Mounted Yeoman-
Musician
@97pts.

4 Pegasus Knights-
Gallant
@220pts.

6 Grail Knights-
Musician
Standard Bearer
War Banner
@283pts.

TOTAL-2000pts.

Thoughts?

Lander
13-04-2007, 02:36
No Questing Knights? There Great weapons Help out alot. Id make all my Bowmen Skirmishers.

Caligula
13-04-2007, 02:39
Hmmm...well the reason I didn't choose any Questing Knights is that Great Weapons are so great for characters and units that are mounted anymore...unless I'm mistaken, of course.

I'd definately agree with you in making all my Bowmen skirmishers, but I think you're only allowed to upgrade one Bowmen unit like that.

Thanks for the reply, Lander!

knightwatch
13-04-2007, 12:40
Yes, you can only have one unit of skirmishers.

Here is my question to you, how do you plan on fielding your units? The list looks good on paper, but I see some potential problems when you begin moving your units.

Caligula
13-04-2007, 14:41
Right, and that's where the inexperience with actually playing Bretonnia comes in;) I mean, I have a very vague idea of what will go on. I mean, battle plans are basically moot when the time comes to actually throw dice, as only a terrible general will allow you to execute your flawless plans....so I like to be flexible. However, I do definately see what you mean....

Like I said though, I'm very inexperienced with playing Brettonia, so maybe you could tell me the potential problems you see, and how best to deal with them?

Thanks for the reply, knightwatch!

knightwatch
13-04-2007, 16:08
Ok, lets break down the units in to blocks as you can field them.

---
Lord with the Pegaus Knights (5 total) Move 20

BSB with the KotR (9 total) Move 8

KotR (9 total) Move 8

Damsil with the Grail Knights (7 total) Move 8

Yeoman (6 total) Move 8

Damsil with the M@A (21 total) Move 4

Skirmish Bowmen (12 total) Move 4

Bowmen (12 total) Move 0/4
---

Now looking at your army as they could be field with the move listed, we see a few problems. You have 3 main units and one support unit (in blue) with a move of 8. This is good for getting across the table and engauging your opponets.

Next we have the Lord and the P. Knights with move 20 (Green . This is great as the unit can be where it needs to be for flank charges, war machine/small unit destruction, and general disruption/march blocking.

Now we move on to our slower units (yellow). They can be used to threaten anything that gets behind your main line and guard the rear of the army. The only problem is that the main force will have to make sure they done out pace the rear guard.

Here is our red-headed problem child (red). If you move this unit, they loose the protection of the spike strips. With the rest of the army running head long into the enemy, they will be left behind with no leadership (only Knights can give Ld bonus).

If I were you, I would sell back the bowmen and the Damsel in the the M@A unit. Get a Palidan with Virtue of Empathy (makes him a foot knight) to put with the M@A and just for fun give him the Antlers of the Great Hunt (plus one die when pursuing). Take the points left over and bump your M@A to 30 (6 across x 5 deep).

Take the list out for a spin, get a few games in and see how the units feel. Then you can start making changes that better suit your play style. When it is all said and done, it doesn't matter how good it looks on paper but how much fun you have playing it. :D

Caligula
13-04-2007, 17:01
Thank you immensely, knightwatch! This is perfect...lots to think about and consider! I'll look into the things you've said here, and think about some possible changes and such I could make to the list based on them.

I would love to try this army out though, and I may end up proxying it at some point soon, just to see how it performs. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to let you know how it fares.

Lander
13-04-2007, 22:57
AGH, I forgot about the Greatweapon nerf! :mad:

druchii
14-04-2007, 09:44
Ok, lets break down the units in to blocks as you can field them.

---
Lord with the Pegaus Knights (5 total) Move 20

[. :D

Minor note:

The lord MAY NOT join the pegasus knights. Ever.

d

Mad Larkin UK
15-04-2007, 14:51
Lol was about to point that out drucchii. But i like this list. My only problem would be if u play undead, or fear/terror, your only giant/monster killers are your grail knights. Swap one of the realm for errant?? theyre cheaper, strength 6 with the banner on the charge..AND immune to psychology on the charge. I love my errant. took down a steamtank tother day. POKE!

TheWarSmith
15-04-2007, 15:00
Knights errant are only immune to psych when they fail their Ld test and charge. Otherwise they're just normal, and ld7 isn't great for knight units which might very easily take 25% casualties as they advance(there's a HUGE stastical bonus to have ld8 instead of 7).

I have my book in the car, but I was pretty sure that as many units as you want could skirmish. If not, then I definitely think you shouldn't have a 16 block not skirmishing. You'll so rarely get all of them shooting.

Mad Larkin UK
16-04-2007, 11:16
[QUOTE=TheWarSmith;1472456]Knights errant are only immune to psych when they fail their Ld test and charge. Otherwise they're just normal, and ld7 isn't great for knight units which might very easily take 25% casualties as they advance(there's a HUGE stastical bonus to have ld8 instead of 7).

Nope, in the book it says "in addition, (to the impetous rule) so reckless are the knights errant that WHENEVER they charge, the unit and any characters that have joined them are immune to psychology for the rest of that turn.

Inkosi
16-04-2007, 11:59
I have my book in the car, but I was pretty sure that as many units as you want could skirmish. If not, then I definitely think you shouldn't have a 16 block not skirmishing. You'll so rarely get all of them shooting.

Mad larkin got that correct. and there can only be 1 unit of skirmishers, it has a very lasting impression on me because i hated the fact that i could only bring 1 unit of those magnificent peasants.

never really liked the lord/royal pegasus combo. good shooting and you can kiss your general goodbye.

and if you picked that combo you should go with the almighty CC items. the gauntlet that forces the opponent to accept your challenge, the virtue and weapon that allows you to reroll hits and wounds during CC.

druchii
16-04-2007, 15:17
Knights errant are only immune to psych when they fail their Ld test and charge. Otherwise they're just normal, and ld7 isn't great for knight units which might very easily take 25% casualties as they advance(there's a HUGE stastical bonus to have ld8 instead of 7).

You should quit modelling nast slaaneshi stuff on your Bretonnians and dust off that rule book my friend!

KE are indeed immune to psych EVERYtime they charge! Heck, that's really the only reason to take them above the KotR.

Caligula: I can't tell you how valuable the Grail Reliquae is. Especially in a "slow" list like this. That stubborn 8(with a possible re-roll) is absolutely fantastic, especially on a unit with a basic 4+ save in combat AND the blessing of the lady!

I've seen entire armies crumble because that damnable reliquae refuses to flee, and allows those overpriced peasants to get into combat and break some ranks.

Be very wary of what Knight speaks, he's absolutely right. That's why I've moved almost completely away from a knight and peasant army. I can quite understand if you're dedicated, though.

One thing I see people with a mixed army routinely do is screw themselves with deployment. A friend of mine runs a Peasant heavy army with four blocks of peasants, two 9man lances, one five man pegasus unit, a lord on hippo, and a few trebuchets. He routinely loses the game in his deployment phase, as he sets up completely symmetrically.

This ends up screwing him because his opponents neutralize his two "alone" knight units, blow his hippo-lord out of the sky, and then mop up the rest. I strongly suggest you set up with a HUGE hammer flank in mind, setting up ALL your big scary units on one side of the board and suckering your opponent into scattering his deployment with cunning placement of your Pegaus Knights.

Good luck

d

el jeffo
22-04-2007, 13:49
if you put all of the strong units at one side of the board you will be pretty vulnerable to cannonfire or templates. i always play with my peasant in the middle(bowmen not so much man@arms) and send my knights and pegasus round the flanks.

Sarison
02-05-2007, 04:49
I never play the lord on anything but a horse. you get +2 to armour right off the bat, so i never lose him to fighting (combat res is a different matter). you cant fly, but with 16 inch charge range, who cares. fly around behind stuff is all well and good, but every turn you fly over stuff is a turn your not chopping.

one of the best strategies ive seen is the strong center (grail knights) throw in a standard bearer with the banner of plus D6 charge and run straight any really big, beefy and breakable unit. If you break them, good, over run, get behind them, and they will have to decide whether to turn and fight or let you get them doggy style.

If you dont break them, oops, wait one round of 2+ armour, WS 5, leadership 8, re-rollable break tests and wait for the rest of the fleet to arrive. Pegasus around the side, if your so inclined. double charge anything that would break easily, so you can get behind them.

I personally play as many knights as i can get my chain-mailed hands on, that way you get a lot of people in front and a lot behind, resulting in a lot of confusion.

whatever happens, never get flanked while sitting next to another friendly unit. you will be broken, overrun, flanked again.

dont put damsels in units that will go out first (grail knights, questing knights, really big units) cuz you will lose your dispell scrolls.