PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Attack or Lightning Strike?

Rictus
13-04-2007, 19:18
I ordered some Lightning Strike aircraft from FW, the order arrived today but unfortunately the box contained Lightning Attack aircraft instead. I was hoping to assemble my Imperial aircraft this weekend in the hope of actually playing a game this coming week. Even though I spent 30 minutes ringing FW I didn't manage to speak to anyone before they shut down their Sales lines to try and get some Strike varients sent out to me. I won't be able to speak to them till Monday now as they are closed over the weekend.

Now my question is for those who have actually used the two variants of the Lightning in games which do you think is the better option and why?

If it turns out the opinion is that the Attack is actually the better variant I may not wait to try and get replacements but instead go with the Lightning Attacks instead.

marv335
13-04-2007, 20:24
use the attack.
if you have no ground targets then you cannot disengage the strikes without sacrificing Vps
the hellstrike missiles can only engage ground targets.

mageboltrat
13-04-2007, 22:43
I have to agree the Attack is probably more useful. It's not awful at ground attacks either.

Rictus
14-04-2007, 00:36
To be honest after looking at the rules again I think I may just keep the Attack. The Autocannon seems like a better choice than the Hellstrikes plus the Attack and Strike versions have the same options for taking extra loads so I can still give them Missiles if I want as I think I do have some spare from the Maruader Destroyer I bought.

I will most likely use the missiles on the Lightnings as Skystrikes rather than ground Hellstrike missiles as I have the Marauder Destroyer for when I want to take out ground targets.

orangesm
14-04-2007, 07:10
Unless you are going to use the Strikes as Strike fighters do not get them first. Otherwise Lightnings are excellent air to air fighters. So they are not on par with each other, but then neither is an F-15C or F-15E they have different combat roles.

Tyra_Nid
14-04-2007, 08:59
Ack, Lightning Strikes... Sure, the concept is cool, but they are (imho) useless. The Autocannon is almost as good at attacking ground targets, it can attack air targets too, and has more ammo.

The ONLY advantage I can think of for a Strike is that it can fire 2 Hellstrikes (4 dice) at once, once per game, whereas the Attack can fire a max of 1 Hellstrike at once. So higher probability of killing the target in one pass, I suppose.

As far as Lightnings as air-to-air fighters, I generally find that mine survive longer than Tbolts, but are harder to do damage with. Their maneuverability is great, but they arent quite Killy enough, like the good old Bolt is.

Uncle_Thor
14-04-2007, 22:24
You have to say Attack, it can still be fitted for GA if you really are in a pickle but there are other things which do it better so you should be taking them.

http://www.360giveaway.co.uk/images/360userbar.gif (http://360giveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=201325)

Khadhar'phak
16-04-2007, 00:37
I prefer attacks. I'm more of an Eldar fan, but I have played using imperial, and I have to say that those Lightnings are evil! 'Bolts are still the Fave imperial though. Far more killy and cool looking...