PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Wood Elves

Xavier
13-04-2007, 21:06
List for a few upcoming tournaments, all at 2250 points.

Treeman Ancient
An Annoyance of Nettlings
A Pageant of Shrikes
A Cluster of Radiants

Anvil, randomly wanders around singing, which naturally terrifies the life out of most people and occasionally strangles people with his roots. :p So yea... pseudo mage hunter, ties up units, kills annoying units with strangle roots, ya know, the usual...

Noble
Battle Standard
Light Armour
The Hunters Talon
A Befuddlement of Mischief’s

Stays near the tone death big guy while taking pot shots at mages and making people stupid. Normally joins the dancing fools, who clearly aren't dancing to the ancient’s singing.

Noble
Alter Kindred
Great Weapon
Hail of Doom Arrow

Mage Hunter, 1 shot fast cav/skirmish unit killer.

Spellsinger
Level 2
2 x Dispel Scrolls

Scroll caddy that will go with tree singing and whatever else she gets, using the abundance of bound items to sneak her big spell off occasionally.

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard

'Fighting' line who will of course high tail it when the enemy gets near, normally just try and deal with targets of opportunity and thin out annoying units.

8 Dryads
8 Dryads

No real role for these they just hang about in the forests and other cover giving protection to my line and setting up combined charges with the other units.

5 Glade Riders with Musician

Takes out targets of opportunity like rattling guns etc, and of course does the typical fast cavalry thing and flees when someone looks at them the wrong way.

7 Wardancers with Musician
Bodyguard for the BSB, normally wanders around until they can get a good charge off.

5 Wild Riders with Musician
Do the whole combined charge thing wood elves do best.

4 Warhawk Riders
Mage and war machine hunters. Then they just generally fly around behind units liable to flee.

Treeman
The other anvil unit, though this one can actually sing a bit better than the old boy.

I have thought of dropping a unit of Wild Riders and the musician from the Glade Riders for a second unit of 7 War Dancers with musician but can't really decide.

The list is pretty straight forward and standard of the two treeman build.

Just looking for any feedback of things I might have over looked.

Xavier
15-04-2007, 04:42
...Bump...

Vattendroppe
15-04-2007, 09:22
May be something about that pink text, when delivered in masses it can be quite annoying. Or can be that people are afraid to comment lists from users with higher postcount than they have :p

Anyway, I'll give it a try. Early in the morning, just wokened up, finding the text annoying. Don't expect to much of my comments.

First of all, IIRC a wardancers unit can only be joined by someone with the wardancers kindred, but that might just be my mind flopping since I have no army book to check. I don't know what you'll get out of that mage either. Most often one lvl 2 isn't enough to get spells going, dropping him to lvl one saves 35 pts that can be used to get additional troops.

You won't have to wander around lots with the wardancers to get a good charge oppertunity, that often solves quite easily. Keep them in combined charges with a unit of dryads if you want to be on the safe side.

The list is pretty solid anyway, though I don't know (as usual) about the two treemen tactic. It's often more vanourable than one can think, and it swollows good lots of points.

Franco
15-04-2007, 09:45
I would say drop one treeman and put in some tree kin. But what would I know, i've only just started collecting WE!!!

Von Wibble
15-04-2007, 09:51
I agree on the treemen. I think they are overrated tbh - a unit of 25 goblins will beat them more often than not due to cr. Instead of a treeman you could have some waywatchers, an Eagle, and that wardancer unit for example.

Models don't have to be wardancer kindred to join wardancers. They should imo but they don't.

At 2250 I agree that a single L2 mage won't cast her spells. If you want a scroll caddy take L1 instead.

I've never found a role for warhawk riders that glade riders couldn't achieve for less points. As mage hunters they could be better but you seem to have plenty of those already. That switch would probably be enough to let you switch

How likely is the Hunter's Talon to actually do some damage? I've always thought it was too pricey for what it did at S3. But if its worked before I suppose it stays.

Xavier
15-04-2007, 14:00
May be something about that pink text, when delivered in masses it can be quite annoying. Or can be that people are afraid to comment lists from users with higher postcount than they have :p

It's not that imposing, I was even nice enough to add spaces and paragraphs ;) And post count means nothing, NOTHING!1

First of all, IIRC a wardancers unit can only be joined by someone with the wardancers kindred, but that might just be my mind flopping since I have no army book to check.

That was from the old wood elf list, the one from chronoicles and the annual. Now anyone can join wardancers, but war dancer characters can only join wardancers. The only restricted unit is forest spirits which can only be joined by other forest spirits.

I don't know what you'll get out of that mage either. Most often one lvl 2 isn't enough to get spells going, dropping him to lvl one saves 35 pts that can be used to get additional troops.

He is just a scroll caddy for the first turn/magic phase until I can kill off the enemy casters with hawks, alter, glade riders, wild riders, etc. As level 2 he gets two spells, one is dropped to tree singing, so that's 4 attempts at tree singing (including the 3 bounds) and 1 other bound item, then a 3 dice attempt at his other spell. Though the list doesn't hinge on magic, its still good to max out the effects it could have.

You won't have to wander around lots with the wardancers to get a good charge oppertunity, that often solves quite easily. Keep them in combined charges with a unit of dryads if you want to be on the safe side.

Yea, or just follow the two anvils (treemen) around until they do what they do best and hold up the big nasty ranked units.

The list is pretty solid anyway, though I don't know (as usual) about the two treemen tactic. It's often more vanourable than one can think, and it swollows good lots of points.

Yup, big scary cannons, stone throwers and stunty people can be annoying. Still, if used right they can work. If I need to ill just tree surf as best as one can against dwarves anyway... ;)

Besides, I have enough war machine hunters to deal with anything that could seriously threaten my treemen.

I would say drop one treeman and put in some tree kin. But what would I know, i've only just started collecting WE!!!

Aside from the fact I can't stand treekin, I already have all 4 of my special slots filled.

I agree on the treemen. I think they are overrated tbh - a unit of 25 goblins will beat them more often than not due to cr. Instead of a treeman you could have some waywatchers, an Eagle, and that wardancer unit for example.

True enough, any ranked unit will beat them easily, though if you are just throwing them at ranked unit in the hope of winning your doing something wrong. You have terror, strangleroots and a bound spell, use them. Don't just run into combat unless it serves a purpose. Like holding up a scary unit for a turn until you can overwhelm them. Being stubborn on leadership 8 (or 9) and with a reroll you have a good chance of holding. Besides, using two big monsters makes speed painting an army very easy... Not to mention the psychological effect two treemen have on any opponent.

I've never found a role for warhawk riders that glade riders couldn't achieve for less points. As mage hunters they could be better but you seem to have plenty of those already. That switch would probably be enough to let you switch.

Well, they can easily get behind and cross fire, they can always move 20", they can fly over units to attack other units behind them on the hill. When a unit fleess they still go 20" and not 9". And most importantly of all, they have hit and run, which when mage hunting is great. Besides I have converted models for them... and painted them, and with limited time to get the army ready ;)

How likely is the Hunter's Talon to actually do some damage? I've always thought it was too pricey for what it did at S3. But if its worked before I suppose it stays.

Most mages are toughness 3, at least normal mages... so hits on a 3+ normally, then wounds on a 4+. Combined with the Paegant of Shrikes from the Ancient and the other potential wound causing units that could otherwise mess up in combat...

It's very useful, and there isn't really anything else I could take instead of it.

Anyway thanks for the opinions and keep them coming.

Xavier
15-04-2007, 22:59
Alright, taking a slightly different approach, what is the view of this list, and how does it compare to the other one?

Noble
Battle Standard
The Hunters Talon

Noble
Alter Kindred
Light Armour
Additional Hand Weapon
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow

Spellsinger
2 x Dispel Scrolls

Branchwraith
Level 1
Cluster of Radiants

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders with Musician

8 Wardancers with Musician

4 Warhawk Riders

Treeman
Treeman

popisdead
16-04-2007, 01:30
Treeman looks good. Take Befuddlement. you aleady have 2 bound spells, this annoys your opponent that much more.

Your BSB CANNOT HAVE A BOW, be it magical or not. ignore my comment about befuddlement :P

Give your Alter LA, Sh, Helm of the hunt so he has a 4+ vs missles and another attack.

Give your GG musicians.

I don't think you need 4 warhawks but if you really like them go for it. it's a 140 pt unit meant to kill a 150 pt mage.

List looks good (though the BSB is illegal), a bit shy on units cause of the second treeman.

Xavier
16-04-2007, 02:16
Yes BSB's can have bows, this restriction only existed in 6th ed and now in 7th it doesn't. http://uk.games-workshop.com/tournaments/pdfs/wfb-gt-faq-2006.pdf

My model for the alter doesn't have a shield on it, so that's out.

Where would I find the points to give them musicians?

160 point unit that does alot more than just kill mages, march block, sits behind units liable to panic, war machine hunts, etc.

Also it would have been nice if you had read the whole thread and not just my first post, I was now asking for views on the second list compared to the first.

Hows about this list...

Ancient
Cluster
Annoyance

Noble
Battle Standard
Asyendi's
Hail of Doom

Noble
Alter Kindred
Light Armour
Additional Hand Weapon