PDA

View Full Version : New to Empire, need help.

Martyr
14-04-2007, 00:18
Howdy,

Need to know where to start collecting my army. I have played Chaos for awhile now and am venturing elsewhere. What should I start collecting as far as models for a 2k army?

Thanks,
Martyr

Frankly
14-04-2007, 01:04
Well it all depends what you want to do with the armylist.

Do you want to mix it up, play shooty, cavalry, rank and file horde, magic heavy?

Have you got a theme in mind?

Is there any models you really like, any tactics you thought "man that sounds cool"?

Empire is such a flexible armybook you can do alot with it.

blahblahblah
15-04-2007, 09:48
Man, I feel like a broken record sying this again, but see if you can find someone who has the 6th edition boxed set, maybe they'll part with the empire guys from the set cheap. it would give you 16 spearmen w. command, 16 handgunners, a cannon or mortar and a mounted hero model. it's a solid base, and you can fill out an army around that (I almost always field those models in 1500+ points)

Martyr
17-04-2007, 16:32
Well I actually already have those models from the boxed set. I didn't know how effective those would be to start from.

I am wanting a well rounded army, no specific theme (i.e. shooty, cavalry, rank and file horde etc.)

-Martyr

Vattendroppe
17-04-2007, 16:38
However you decide, I think it'll be quite the opposite to your chaos army :p

To start of with you could get some spearmen, I think there are hardly no empire armys without at least one unit of spearmen. Also, some knights would be good to have in a wellrounded list, plus some (10-20) handgunners. Maybe some helberdiers for detachment later on.

(I assume you already have the armybook, otherwise that's first step)

Martyr
17-04-2007, 16:56
Ah yes, I do have the army book. Just got it yesterday. Looking through it, I think i'm going to grab a few boxes of swordsmen and halbediers, and use my hand gunners and maybe some crossbowmen for detatchments.

I'm not used to my troops being so physically wimpy in comparison to the average chaos warrior. This is going to take some getting used to.

What about Generals and heroes and such, what is the majority rule for fielding what? With Chaos I rarely take a Lord unless it's 2000+ game to conserve points. As Empire is QUITE a bit cheaper than a Chaos army I'm looking at all these low numbers and going WOW I can put like 60 of these and have 40 of these...

-Martyr

Vattendroppe
17-04-2007, 17:31
Ah yes, I do have the army book. Just got it yesterday. Looking through it, I think i'm going to grab a few boxes of swordsmen and halbediers, and use my hand gunners and maybe some crossbowmen for detatchments.

I'm not used to my troops being so physically wimpy in comparison to the average chaos warrior. This is going to take some getting used to.

What about Generals and heroes and such, what is the majority rule for fielding what? With Chaos I rarely take a Lord unless it's 2000+ game to conserve points. As Empire is QUITE a bit cheaper than a Chaos army I'm looking at all these low numbers and going WOW I can put like 60 of these and have 40 of these...

-Martyr

Yes, there are some really fun parts with empire! Personally I've used all my character slots in my 2250 army. One mage lord, one battlemage, one captain as bsb and one boyar (since I'm using Kieslev allies, otherwise the boyar would be a captain). Though you might want to field your lord as a general to get that ld9, can come in really, really handy when you pay for ld7 troops ;)

Always have a BSB in an empire army is my experience also, they ALWAYS pays up for their points. Don't be afraid to use all character slots, but try to keep their cost quite low to get more troops in, you're get most battles won due to static combat res and somewhat by combined charges. The detachment grants a huge advantage in taking away your enemys rank bonus.

Martyr
17-04-2007, 19:41
Thanks a ton, Vattendroppe. You have been very helpful.

Vattendroppe
17-04-2007, 19:44
Thanks a ton, Vattendroppe. You have been very helpful.

Don't know about that, but I do my best. And I hope that you don't follow these advice straight through, since it's only what have worked for me and my friends. Experiment with proxys!

Danish Rebel
17-04-2007, 21:01
why not go for the ultimate Empire Lord: Arch Lector on War Alter

Martyr
17-04-2007, 21:40
Don't worry, Vattendroppe. I never take advice word for word. I usually troll around the boards till I see similarities and use the similarities and that usually helps. Thanks again.

-Martyr

Morph
17-04-2007, 22:19
For characters you can go lots of magic (wizards & priests, lead by an Arch Lector on War Altar), or if you want lots of Knights more fighty guys may be in order and a Grand Master is pretty choppy. Armies can also benefit from the battle standard quite a bit (especially stubborn Greatswords).

Basically, there's lots of choice and you'll probably be using all your character slots.

deadkez
17-04-2007, 22:21
2000 pts starting army should contain:

3x 25 men Parent units (either spears/swords/Greatswords/Halberds), full command. Each of these have a 9 man combat detachment (Swords/Halberds/Free Company). 1 or 2 of them will also have a small unit of archers for baiting/dirverting.

2-3 Warmachines, 1 of which should be a cannon.

10-15 cavalry in units of 5 or 6. Depending on what else you have taken, the knights should be Inner Circle where possible.

Other Support, perhaps 10-15 handgunners or 15 Flaggies. Not huntsman.

Characters: Do not take the Engineer (ever). All others are viable. I'd suggest General or Lector, BSB, Priest (goes with knights or spears), Wizard, all mounted where possible for a starting army.

General tactics: as long as your combat detachments remain unscathed, you should win the majority of combats with your infantry.
Use your support to destroy the enemy's support. Outriders to kill warmachines, wizards; knights to kill light cav and fragile support; warmachines for the bigger stuff (ogre-types, spawn, giants, chariots).

Tips: Do not be afraid to pick up cheap models, all the range (apart from a few handgunners) are very versatile. A box of free company goes a very long way. The cannon/mortar sprue will easily do both with a bit of scratch-building. Priests can be built up using spares (though the new models are awesome). War Altars, Steam Tanks, Helstorms and Helblasters can all be kitbashed or scratch-built.

My work here is done.

Crazy Harborc
18-04-2007, 01:05
Well I actually already have those models from the boxed set. I didn't know how effective those would be to start from.

I am wanting a well rounded army, no specific theme (i.e. shooty, cavalry, rank and file horde etc.)

-Martyr

Smart choices so far.;) Unless you spend LOTS of time gluing and painting, it will take awhile to have enough units to field a different roster every game (if you wish)....Not totally different rosters, just a unit or two, maybe up to half the units in the rosters.

Try to really understand the special Detachment rules. Think about the how and whys of Empire detachments. If your potential opponents don't know about the detachment rules be ready to explain "how can you do that??" Counter charges and charging in support CAN win HtHs. They can win battles for you.

Practice detachment placements.
The shooting units of the Empire are one of several strong points.
Don't forget the fast cav/Pistoliers are better.
IMHO, the special characters are okay,for big BATTLES. Big as in over 3000 points.:D With all the leftover bits in the Empire plastic regiment boxes (OLD and new boxes), you will soon be able to create your own Lords/heros minies. Till then...gold paint will "general/lord it up" a couple of minies.

If you've got the money......load up on goodies BEFORE the announced price hikes. Enough of my babble.;)

Martyr
18-04-2007, 16:41
Very good stuff here, thanks very much guys.

-Martyr