PDA

View Full Version : VC swamp list

Dspankdo
14-04-2007, 10:21
How does this VC list sound, it revolves around the principle of just completely swamping the enemy and hoping they break due to fear.

Level 4 master necromancer with power familiar

3xlevel 2 necromancers

2x30 zombies with full command.

3x24 skeles with full command and spears.

6 black knights with full command and banner of the dead legion.

khorne666
14-04-2007, 10:31
Points please?

Dspankdo
14-04-2007, 10:34
2000 points.

khorne666
14-04-2007, 10:52
For each unit? It's hard to give advice on changes when you don't know how many points everything costs.

oop
14-04-2007, 12:08
Drop the banner of dead legion and take a war banner instead.

You need some mobile units. Ghouls and Dire Wolves are a must.

Your opponent might throw small flying (harpies, furies...) units at your necromancers. Fell bats are needed to stop them. Pricey but useful

Use spirit hosts to stop the nastiest enemy units. Priceless when you stop a unit of dragon ogres with a single host

You need some punch, how do you feel about taking a vampire?
And remember to desperately protect your general

Have fun

Dspankdo
14-04-2007, 12:26
Hmmm those extra points will be hard squeeze out. I suppose the army could do without 1 unit of skeles and a necromancer, that would buy me 3 spirit hosts, 2 units of 5 DW and some fell bats.

I'm reluctant to include a vampire in the army as it would take away alot of the magical power which is pivotal to the armies sucess.

Malicus
14-04-2007, 12:50
I'm reluctant to include a vampire in the army as it would take away alot of the magical power which is pivotal to the armies sucess.

I understand what you are saying here, as I've tried a similar list with moderate success. The thing you are going to run into is your zombies and skellies are going to hold units pretty nicely, but will get beat down pretty quickly due to not having any real fighting power. Granted, they don't always need to hit anyone to win combat, but it sure helps.

You're looking at 130pts for a Stirgoi Thrall w/ Infinite Hatred, and Iron Sinews. Now you've got 4 Str 6 attacks that can re-roll all missed to hits to throw out of a zombie unit.

While it is still very possible to march down the field in a tight formation and get some flank charges, it's still nice to have a real hitter in with zombies or skellies who otherwise will not be doing much (if any) damage. You will still have 10 power dice with master necro (lvl 4) and 2xLvl2 Necros. You may want to consider dropping one of these guys to lvl 1 and use him as a scroll caddy/IoN caster. Tough choice though, as the spirit of this army is to keep the corpses coming. Having that extra casting dice to raise may have it's merits in this build.

I agree also with taking some direwolves or ghouls to protect your flanks, and get some flank charges in.

oop
14-04-2007, 12:58
Even with a Vampire Count you will have 10 PD. It's more than enough to raise corpses once and again.

And it has a double utility. Not only giving you a lot of punch, but making your general much harder to kill. And able to be where he is needed, allowing you to march, wich you wouldn't if your master necro hides amid your backline.

Anyway, it's your choice. I often go for a Lord and two necros, but I usually face hard hitting foes (Chaos, Orcs...). It still has a nice magic power.

Have fun and tell us the outcome

Shazarn
14-04-2007, 14:15
hmm, im worried about what happens if the master necro gets cannonballed or some other gruesome death. the whold army is almost screwed due to being just 5 blocks and a unit of knights.
opp makes a good point, 10pd is well and truely enough for 3 lvl 3 invocations a turn. ouch thats alot of zombies!! lol
it sounds very fun and would love to hear how it goes

Frankly
14-04-2007, 14:36
How does this VC list sound, it revolves around the principle of just completely swamping the enemy and hoping they break due to fear.

Level 4 master necromancer with power familiar

3xlevel 2 necromancers

2x30 zombies with full command.

3x24 skeles with full command and spears.

6 black knights with full command and banner of the dead legion.

Very tough to face, although you lack fast elements to counter opponents and harass him with.

Look at getting some fast elements in your list to give you more options and keep units off your flanks.

Dspankdo
14-04-2007, 14:42
I havn't got the models yet so I might try some proxy games with the original list and an adjusted one.

Frankly
15-04-2007, 12:02
I havn't got the models yet so I might try some proxy games with the original list and an adjusted one.

Good idea.

If your actually going to start buying models, then start with skellies, almost every list you'll run will start out with a unit or 2. So you can't go wrong.

Malicus
15-04-2007, 14:08
If your actually going to start buying models, then start with skellies, almost every list you'll run will start out with a unit or 2. So you can't go wrong.

I would still play proxy games and use bigger blocks of zombies, compared to the better save and ability to strike first from the skellies. I have about 40 skeletons that collect dust on my shelf and haven't seen a battle field in years. But then I prefer the feel of the zombies, and they seldom fail me. All in all when you look at numbers vs. ability it's pretty even so play a few battles using both and see which you prefer.

here's a link to a recent thread addressing this:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78764&highlight=zombies

Frankly
16-04-2007, 06:25
But if you collect Skellies you can play TK:D

Dspankdo
16-04-2007, 07:39
I've just fihured out how I can do this list and for under 300 us, 4 skull passes, all made to look as spirit hosts, counting as zombies and led by a clan of Necrarchs, I even bought the first necrarchs today.

Marcel
16-04-2007, 07:56
cool list it should work.