PDA

View Full Version : Magic in combat

gerrymander61
14-04-2007, 12:35
On what page of the rulebook does it say you can't cast magic in combat? I've scoured the rulebook through and through but can't find a single thing. There must be some reference to it since the Skaven screaming bell and Slann palanquin rules say that they can, contrary to the rule.

But i can't find it anywhere in the rulebook.

Please help me, I dont want to feel stupid anymore

Festus
14-04-2007, 12:53
BRB p.107, left column, in the middle.

Edit: I assume you mean casting into CC. Or do you mean if the Wizard is in combat? There is no such rule.

sds661
14-04-2007, 12:55
Do you mean can't cast INTO combat (unless the spell description specifically allows it)? This is certainly in the book. But if you mean can't cast while in combat himself, this is not the case ... BUT you won't be able to cast spells described as magic missiles, because the usual shooting restriction apply. Also spells requiring line of sight will be limited to the unit you are in combat with (but you can't target them unless the spell specifically allows it).

Festus
14-04-2007, 12:57
Also spells requiring line of sight will be limited to the unit you are in combat with (but you can't target them unless the spell specifically allows it).
Not entirely true, but those are the finer points of the technicalities of casting while engaged...
(Assume a unit charged in the rear and the Wizard in the Front Rank...)

Festus

T10
15-04-2007, 14:50
Indeed. Being engaged in close combat does not change your arc of sight. Odds are, however, that you will have enemy models in front of you, thus obstructing your view.

A wizard in the front rank of a unit in close combat with enemy to the front may find that his immediate 90 degree arc of sight is obscured by angry enemy soldiers intent on scoring some easy combat resolution. He still has the ability to see Large Target models, or troops on hills, beyond the enemy unit.

A wizard on a Large Target mount can see over an enemy unit of smaller models.

-T10

eleveninches
15-04-2007, 21:55
what about a wizard on a dragon. can he have line of sight over/behind the models he is in combat with

T10
15-04-2007, 21:57
what about a wizard on a dragon. can he have line of sight over/behind the models he is in combat with

"A wizard on a Large Target mount can see over an enemy unit of smaller models."

-T10

eleveninches
15-04-2007, 22:15
great. so my tzeentchi lord on dragon can kick-ass in combat and cast spells to other units as normal as well

T10
15-04-2007, 22:17
Um, yeah.

-T10

lparigi34
16-04-2007, 03:13
But will only have the arc of sight limited to 90 due to be mounted on the dragon.

Brother Siccarius
16-04-2007, 05:18
But will only have the arc of sight limited to 90 due to be mounted on the dragon.

And cannot cast magic missiles at all while he's in combat, no matter who he tries to fire them at while engaged. Interesting enough in this case, several of the spells in the Tzeentch lore don't specify you needing line of sight