PDA

View Full Version : Bound Spells and Dispel Dice

lparigi34
15-04-2007, 01:01
Today I had two of the most interesting games I ever had. An empire Lutor Huss guided army with more priests and cavalry, Flagellants and some fire suport. Vs Chaos Tzench, Mostly warriors and cavalry and a Screamer unit.

The rules question is, in my Empire turn, all my three priest units had active RiP spells from previous phases, my opoonent used his 4 dispel pool and dispeled two of them. My question is, can this two priests that are no longer holding a RiP sepell cast a prayer again?, or should I declare that I've finished casting so my opponent can get his remaining dice and proceed to dispel previous turns RiPs.

Thanks in advance for your answers

NakedFisherman
15-04-2007, 01:06
The rules question is, in my Empire turn, all my three priest units had active RiP spells from previous phases, my opoonent used his 4 dispel pool and dispeled two of them.

Remains in Play spells are dispelled at the end of the magic phase after all spells have been cast, so this problem will never occur.

DeathlessDraich
15-04-2007, 08:40
Further clarification:
There are 2 ways of dispelling Remains in Play spells. Player A casts the RIP spell:
1) Player B can dispel this during his [player B's] magic phase using his power dice
2) Player B can dispel this during player A's magic phase but not in the phase when player A casts the spell. using his dispel dice.

In your example since your opponent was using dispel dice, it must be case (2).
His 4 dice was used to dispel a previously cast RIP spell.
Tactically your opponent made a mistake and should have waited until after you had attempted to cast new spells/prayers.
Your priests can cast a prayer a turn and are free to do so in any of your magic phases which immediately negates previous RIP spells the same priest casts.

T10
15-04-2007, 13:44
This is perhaps somewhat redundant, but NF and DD are correct.

When you are done casting your spells you may use remaining power to dispel spells in play. Your opponent can then use any of his remaining dispel dice to dispel spells in play.

So how does this apply to the situation described originally?

Well, at the start of the Magic Pahse all your priests are maintaining spells in play. You have the option of cancelling them by casting the same or different spells (prayers)*. If you do not do so now, you are essentially done casting spells (prayers) for this magic phase.

Next you have the option of using power dice as dispel dice against current spells held in play by your opponent.

Finally your opponent has the option of trying to dispel spells you hold in play from previous turns.

Though it would be nice to cast the spells (prayers) again now that your opponent has expended his dispel pool, that opportunity no longer exists.

-T10

*) Why re-cast successfully held spells in play? Consider this:

Your opponent can use Dispel Scrolls only against spells as they are cast. Perhaps you can trick him to use his Dispel Scrolls *now*?

You cannot adopt a wait-and-see approach to "remains in play" spells on the turn they are cast. You must either dispel at that point or wait until the next magic phase. Swapping out currently held spells in play may thus force your opponent to dispel different spells than he would if he could pick and chose at the end of the phase.

lparigi34
15-04-2007, 16:03
Nice, thank you very much guys.

T10, very nice tactical info. :cool: