PDA

View Full Version : Battle for skull pass add-ons

Cadian Desert Guard
15-04-2007, 02:35
I just bought the BFSP goblin part and was just wondering what i should use as add-ons to the massive horde of Goblins

40 night goblin spearmen
20 night goblin archers
10 forest goblin spider riders
1 Night Goblin Big Boss
1 Night Goblin Shaman
1 Troll

Anyway I thought i should probably have something that could actually kill something so a giant?
Input is greatly appreciated

Dranthar
15-04-2007, 02:59
Well you have alot of options here. Ideally for a "standard" O&G army you would be best off getting the recently released Orcs and Goblins army box. It's a little pricey but it's a good deal and gets you;

Warboss (for the killin' and leadin')
Standard Bearer (always handy)
10 Spider riders (cheap and together with your existing spider riders will help fill out your 'flanking' force)
20 Night goblins (gives you the models to equip your units with nets, and lets you take a unit without spears)
3 Fanatics (practically mandatory when you have night goblin regiments)
40 Orcs (for providing units that can actually kill stuff)
20 Black Orcs (like orcs only better)
Boar Chariot (always handy)

Together with your Skull pass set that'd probaly take you close to 2000pts, and gives you a nice selection of units to build your army from.

If you don't want to spend that much in one go, a unit of orcs and/or an orc general box are both great choices for your next purchase.

If you want to go for an all goblin army (great fun but not as competitive as a mixed orc/goblin force), I'd strongly suggest you get fanatics, a box of night goblins (as above, for the nets and the HW/Shield combo) and/or Squig Hoppers.
Squig hoppers are the skirmishers for your army and with 2 S5 attacks each they tend to hit very, very hard. I would strongly recommend them in any army without orcs and probably some armies with orcs too.

Warboss Grimmtoof
15-04-2007, 03:26
Hey, how good of quality are the BFSP minis? If they are good and you like 'em, you can buy individual squads for really cheap on BWbits. 3 trolls for $12, where do I sign?:eek: I like stuff that is a bit slower so expect me to give advice on big nasty things. Here is a $100 list of where I would go from where you are.
Warboss (duh)
a box of orcs
2 units of night goblin spearmen
3 units of night goblin archers
2 more trolls
a box of fanatics
I am assuming you order this of BWbits. This gives you a good amount of gobbos (you really shouldnt ever need more than 160) and some orcs and trolls for a bit of extra punch. I like fanatics just because I think the idea of a wasted goblin with an enormous ball and chain wheeling through enemy and friend alike is genius. The reason that I listed so many goblins is that you can get 20 for $5 so there is not really any excuse not to get a life supply.

Rodman49
15-04-2007, 03:28
I like themed armies and would go with some fanatics and Squigs with maybe another BfSP box to boost you past 1,000 points. Might want to pick up a BSB also.

Malicus
15-04-2007, 03:29
Anyway I thought i should probably have something that could actually kill something so a giant?
Input is greatly appreciated

I wouldn't look to the giant for killing things. He serves as more a real world psychological tool, and distraction more than anything else. Sure, he has the ability to take out some models, but I consider myself pretty lucky if he reaches the lines.

I'm not real experienced with the O&G's (especially the new rules), but this is one of the most fun armies to play when people get sick of losing to my vampires. There's so much character to this army that makes it fun. You really have to have a good sense of humor though cause a lot of things can get out of your control with this unruly bunch. I think this is one of the primary reason to consider a Giant. His attacks can be rather funny, hell, the model itself can be pretty funny, but I wouldnt' generally look to him to cause many actually wounds in combat. Like I said I use him to suck up attacks while the rest of my army advances, cause face it, it's hard to ignore a towering giant marching down the field. And if they do ignore it....oh boy!!!

blahblahblah
15-04-2007, 10:41
I'd reccomend getting some orc units for killing. maybe you can find someone with the old sixth edition boxed set orcs, they might part with them relatively cheap... I like the giant, but he won't kill all comers for you, and if he's the only big thing on your side of the table, he'll probably get balsted from shooting kinda quick.

Dranthar
15-04-2007, 11:57
The reason that I listed so many goblins is that you can get 20 for $5 so there is not really any excuse not to get a life supply.

Cheap or not, I've found that youreally don't need more than 1-2 Night Goblin regiments with short bows and the HW/Shield combo is normally a better choice than paying the points for spears. The Skull Pass set is great for boosting numbers, but in terms of having a competitive army (if that's what you're after) you really reach saturation point after 1-2 sets worth.