PDA

View Full Version : Painting minis and making terrain is expensive, time consuming and stupid

arxhon
01-08-2005, 23:57
Because it's true.

Haven't seen this posted, but then, i don't come here often.

Anyway, the latest issue of PC gamer has a fair sized article on a game called Warhammer. In case you're wondering, it is a WFB game on the PC.

Some snippets form the article:

You'll be able to quickly and easily create your own insignia, color schemes, formations and weapon loadouts...combined with randomized heads and other details for individual units...

It goes on to explain that it uses something similar to tha Havoc engine in Age of Empires 3, but (to use their words) "better".

Base management is downplayed, because

the focus won't be on "where do i put my blacksmith shop". In place of resource gathering, every unit will have a point value taken from the tabletop game.

I think this is a good thing. Games like Warcraft 3 tend to emphasize clicking stuff quickly to build the toughest units around, rather than actually employing a lot of strategy and tactics.

Fully playable races in this game are the Empire, Chaos, High Elves and Skaven, with "cameo appearances" from Orcs, Dwarves, Vampires and Goblins. I'm sure if this game does well enough, we can expect that there will be expansions for making these races fully playable, as well as other races added to the game.

New Cult King
02-08-2005, 09:06
Oh.

I think I need this game.

Skaven? Yum.

Wraith
02-08-2005, 09:29
Interesting choice of playable races...

I await further information -- sounds good.

hairyman
02-08-2005, 09:29
Age of Empires engine? Aaargh... not another build and kill clone?

Just imagine the ultimate gaming experience: Warhammer, Total War.

Riddy
02-08-2005, 12:14

Did you even read his whole post, in the last paragraph he explains that this game isn't another build and kill :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheesejoff
02-08-2005, 12:20

That would be amazing,.

The advantage this Warhammer PC game will have, is that you won't need to go into the store to play, you can do so comfortably from your own home. However, thats also the disadvantage (Less social)

Is this the future of Warhammer? Perhaps...

Lord Lucifer
02-08-2005, 12:31
Is this the future of Warhammer? Perhaps...

Unlikely.
Converting the packaging for the game isn't as rewarding as chopping up and gluing together my models, and painting the CD would be a bad, bad idea.
And the lack of mates to talk shyte with during the game is a definate disadvantage.

The tabletop experience will always be more rewarding to me.
But I'll probably get the game if the PC here can handle it :)

halzet
02-08-2005, 12:49
Is easier on the wallet, though. :D

Intend to wait a bit longer before deciding whether I am likely to get it or not, though. Really hope it doesn't become a very basic game which only barely fits into the strategy genre. I know it said it will downplay on the base building, but, can never be sure until we get more concrete information on the game.

hairyman
02-08-2005, 13:51
Did you even read his whole post, in the last paragraph he explains that this game isn't another build and kill :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, it is though, isn't it? You build stuff, then send your guys out to kill stuff. All on one screen. Ok, so you can put the emphasis on the tactics involved in the killing stuff (as is suggested in the original post), or you can put the emphasis on the building stuff. It's still squeezing more out of the same tired c&c/AoE genre though... isn't it? It uses the AoE engine.. base management is "downplayed" but still there.

I suggested Total War as it is a totally different genre, and would give (IMO) both a seriously better chance to exercise tactics and unit differentiation, and a more fun way to manage provinces and nominal resources.

Apologies for the lame two line post, though.

Wiseman
02-08-2005, 15:24
should be intersting to see how it turns out

x-esiv-4c
02-08-2005, 15:32
I wonder what scale it's going to take. Like a "Total war" game or a smaller one like War3.

GuRu
02-08-2005, 18:12
I already posted scans of the magazine on the DAKKADAKKA forum, it shows all sorts of screenshots and such.

Arnizipal
02-08-2005, 22:31
I already posted scans of the magazine on the DAKKADAKKA forum, it shows all sorts of screenshots and such.
Linky?

(yeah I'm too lazy to look for it myself, so sue me... ;) )

Shining_Spear
03-08-2005, 01:43
I thought I heard something about this around E3 time. Sounds cool.

It only uses the Havok physics engine, meaning lots of people flying around... :evilgrin: perfect for Warhammer but out of place in Age 3 (don't get me wrong, though, Age 3 still looks pretty darn awesome).

glimli
04-08-2005, 00:01
well gw mins and games take a lot longer to go out of fashion than the laest xbox or pc game.
in austrlia a new xbox game can amost be as much as a batalion box set. gues which one is going for $30 in the bargin bin in three months. at least most gw models remainplaysble for ages, unlike games which are subject to fashon and the constant upgrading of computers technoogy etc which means you need to keep aroud a few obselete units to keep on playing.

Adept
04-08-2005, 04:24
You guys know there is already a WHFB mod for Rome: Total War, right?

I mean, sure it isn't as cool as a dedicated Warhammer: Total War would be, but it's the next best thing. Can you imagine Dragons in a Total War game? Awesome...

hairyman
04-08-2005, 09:51
You guys know there is already a WHFB mod for Rome: Total War, right?

???!!!!!!!

Link?

Any sort of fantasy total war would rock. It's made for it, really.

Crube
04-08-2005, 09:53
Ok - Lazy boy over here needs link...

Badly if you ghet my drift...

Hey, this may be the reason I actually buy Rome: total war

(I can see my time ebbing away now...

^Changer^
04-08-2005, 11:56
http://www.zodiak-productions.com/index.php for the Warhammer: Total War!

It's actually a really cool game, shame there's only 2 complete races; Empire and Chaos, with a half complete High Elfs.

Vberg
04-08-2005, 14:14
Wow that loks great, i wish i had Rome Total War now :( . It says there is also playable undead.

TenTailedCat
04-08-2005, 14:46
You could just DL rome if you were feeling naughty.

Freak Ona Leash
04-08-2005, 16:24
Download? From where? TELL ME!

WLBjork
05-08-2005, 10:16
Races in Warhammer are Chaos and Empire as the main protagonists.

Skaven and Night Elves are to appear for multiplayer/skirmish.

Yes, they said Night Elves - although looking at the Screen shots, it will probably be High Elves - but I'm not making a definative statement here.

Developers are Black Hole Entertainment (www.blackholegames.com), publishers are Namco. edit: No info on this page at the time of linking.

Exclusive appears in PC Gamer UK 152 (September issue).

Grumnir
06-08-2005, 03:56
Linky Linky (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=9072)

Looks fun :)

Bubble Ghost
07-08-2005, 17:25
Yes, they said Night Elves - although looking at the Screen shots, it will probably be High Elves - but I'm not making a definative statement here.

High Elves are obviously in the game. I'd put my house on "night" being the result of a Warcraft-infused games writer misreading or mistakenly editing "high."

Freak Ona Leash
07-08-2005, 17:40
Night Elves? Werent those the big blue bunny-eared things that are the WoW equivilant of strip dancers?

arxhon
08-08-2005, 07:02
High Elves are obviously in the game. I'd put my house on "night" being the result of a Warcraft-infused games writer misreading or mistakenly editing "high."

Sounds probable. "Night" and "high" sound reasonably similar, i guess.

Anyway, someone earlier mentioned they play warhammer for the chopping of minis. Personally, i don't. I wrote a long rant about it. If you're interested in reading it (unlikely), then say so. :) If i can skip the 200 odd hours required, and save a huge pile of coin at the same time, i will.

hairyman
08-08-2005, 09:38
If i can skip the 200 odd hours required, and save a huge pile of coin at the same time, i will.

They're two seperate games, IMO. Playing warhammer against your mates and playing on the computer are two seperate (but linked) games. I don't think you can really substitute one for the other, just like you can't substitute playing snooker with a good PC snooker sim.

As well as 'hammer: Total War, I'd like to see an accurate as possible recreation of tabletop gaming on a PC. You know, 3-D tabletop with lots of virtual terrain pieces you can plonk down, models you can paint in units then put on the table and move around like models (but maybe with some animaiton)... would be fun, I think.

sigur
09-08-2005, 19:56
Night Elves? Werent those the big blue bunny-eared things that are the WoW equivilant of strip dancers?

Ah, wonderful comment on this grotesque figures Blizzard has created. Elves HAVE to remain something other than something to hang huge anime-style elfears and giant boobies on. Your phrase is very close in for a "sigging". ;)