PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for starting Eldar?

Khadhar'phak
16-04-2007, 00:25
I've played the game, and caught the bug, so I decided that I'd collect an airforce. I've decided on Eldar, but don't really know what to get first. hould I focus on fighters, or get some bombers as well? What fighters work best in what roles? Should I bother with ground defences?

Any help would be great.

Yorishiku!

orangesm
16-04-2007, 01:30
I would start off with 2 packs of Nightwings, after that a pack of Phoenixes. This gives you a good solid core at 172 points. From here I would start to look towards getting 1-2 Vampire Raiders and possibly a Hunter. At this point a pack of Firestorms and some Falcons (FW or SG) will give you some Ground Defenses and targets. After that another pack of Nightwings. So you eventual force is well rounded.

The initial purchase is 2 packs of Nightwings at 12 each (24), a pack of Phoenixes at 12. That is 36 and gives you enough to play a wide range of missions.
The next purchase is the heavies - 2 Raiders and a Hunter for 42 (14 each).
The last purchase would be the Ground Defenses, targets, and another pack of Nightwings. One pack of Firestorms give you 3 Firestorms for 7, plus 1 pack of Falcons and 1-2 of Wave Serpents (link (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_EPIC_40_000_ELDAR_33.html)) total cost for all of the ground units is 28.

Total points: up to 355 pts
Total cost: 118

fattdex
16-04-2007, 02:08
I would start with one pack each of nightwings, phoenix, and a vampire raider, because it gives you all the aircraft to play all mission types from the start (bomber, transport and fighters) at about 150 points and about the same cost as a 40k battleforce box, which will be good to learn from. Then, expand as orangegasm said from there to round it out.

Tyra_Nid
16-04-2007, 02:34
You will need more than two nightwings though... Ive found most of the times it is nightwings being used unless there is a ground attack. No reason to use a phoenix over a nightwing in a fighter mission.

Id say a 2 packs of nightwings minimum, probably a pack of phoenix and/or a raider.

okri_the_blue
16-04-2007, 06:12
i'd agree with Tyra_Nid, i started quite night wing heavy , the phoenix is realy only there for ground attack, and u'll need the raider for troop drops, it also depends on how large your oponent's forces are i'm yet to use all my eldar in the one game.

greenmtvince
16-04-2007, 14:14
Is there EVER any reason to use a Phoenix? What missions would you have to engage ground targets and not have access to Vampires?

I just got an Eldar squadron as my 3rd Demo squadron (people keep buying my demo squadrons.) and went with 4 nightwings and a Raider. The Raider is such a slick model, I'll probably get a second one.

orangesm
17-04-2007, 01:36
The Phoenix does have its uses - I would use it in an anti-ground defense role and then as a capable fighter backup.

Tyra_Nid
17-04-2007, 01:58
Yes- I agree with orangesm... The Phoenix is a very capable fighter as well as an anti-ground role. Much more effective at intercepting fighters than the Hunter and Raider big brothers.

Khadhar'phak
17-04-2007, 17:27
Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind. Cheers again for helping me choose =D