PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Orcs please.

Brother Muninn
15-04-2007, 23:48
It's not easy being green....

Long story short, I split the BfSP with a Dwarf Player, and one of the old Box sets with an Empire player. So I now have a decent number of Orcs & Gobbos (An Orc Hero, a gobbo boss, a gobbo shaman, a Chariot, Boyz, Arrer boyz, Night Goblins w/shields, Night Goblins with bows, and Spider riders, etc)

I also don't know how to play.

Given that I'm fresh meat, and I'm more of a painter than a gamer, I'd like to incorperate a few aspects of the game that I like the looks of, such as Black Orcs and Squigs, I just don't know how I'd shape these into a real fighting force.

Anyone have any advice for a Fantasy N00b that's landed himself an Orc army?

~ Muninn

Warboss Grimmtoof
16-04-2007, 00:07
You have the rulebook? Cause you might want one if you dont have one. Orcs are all about getting what you want and using it right. Chariots should be sent into headlong charges, fanatics should be sent wheeling through anything that moves (your own units too!) and trolls, well, just smash something... Get what you want, really, whatever you want, you just have to learn how to use them right. I dont have the new orc rulebook, so I dont know how good gobbos arer, but if they are handy (meat shields and whatnot) and you like the ones you got in BfsP than you can order more for like $5 for 20 on battlewagon bits.

Lander
16-04-2007, 00:15
Youll need the rulebook before we can help you with anything...

Brother Muninn
16-04-2007, 00:20
I've got one coming. it came with the box set. I'm just waiting for the older edition book to be traded out for the new one by GW.

Braad
16-04-2007, 07:23
Practise!

I started out with a bit of green, and filled it up with whatever I found usefull...

Some little advices:
- Greenies work well in big units. I field my orcs in units of 25 (except the arrer boyz: 20) and gobbo's at 30 (except those with bows again: 21).
- Black orcs are good. I got a unit of 15, but gonna make that 2 of 20.
- I think you might want to add some cavalry and artillery. Savage boar boyz are very nice and spear chukka's will add that nasty bit against high toughness monsters or extremely heavy armoured knights. Considering artillery, I also found my new doom diver very usefull.

blurred
16-04-2007, 12:48
You might want to read Avian's guidebook for greenskin generals; excellent stuff. I can't remember the address, but I'm sure someone can. :)

knightwatch
16-04-2007, 14:10
Well, here is the good news: You have a good variety of units to learn the game with. Get your rule book, learn the game and see how the different units work and what you enjoy fielding.

Orc and Goblins armies can be built several different ways. Go enjoy the game, find out what you like, then see about getting more. Just have fun with it.

Head_Not_Found
16-04-2007, 16:36
I'll go with Braad's advices, the only exception being the two units of black orcs. Sure they'll gonna break heads and then some, but they're going to cost you a lot of points, plus a single unit of 25 is more than able to fulfill that role.
Also remember this:
The basic concept behind the greenskin army is that your main goal is to run across the table, get in your opponents' face and beat them senseless. As long as you delay this, your opponent gets more chances of exploiting your weaknesses (namely being highly undisciplined).

Braad
16-04-2007, 19:09
I'll go with Braad's advices, the only exception being the two units of black orcs. Sure they'll gonna break heads and then some, but they're going to cost you a lot of points, plus a single unit of 25 is more than able to fulfill that role.

Hmm... maybe I should have noted that to start with one is just good enough. But if I field my entire army, then 2 units of 20 would not even be 15% of the total... And in that total I have not yet included 25 extra blackies.

By the way, chariots are nice too.
And I found that it is very important to keep your general very near the core of your army. They really need his leadership, especially the gobbo's.

sephiroth87
16-04-2007, 22:44
Sounds like you did the same thing I did. I scrounged and trades for starter box sets and I've made a whole army for next to nothing. I made snotling pump wagons from old boar chariots. It wins pretty often, too.

My list:

25 orcs with standard and musician
25 orcs with standard and musician

minimum unit of goblins with 2 fanatics

Grom the Paunch (a guy traded me for it)

level 2 goblin shaman
level 2 goblin shaman
level 2 orc shaman

4 units of 5 spider riders with bows

4 boar chariots

4 snotling pump wagons

I fill the rest out with goblins and fanatics.