PDA

View Full Version : Creating Scenario - "Destroy the Titan!"

Col.Gravis
16-04-2007, 14:26
Having just come into posession of a Warlord Titan I decided I wanted to try an incorporate it into an AI Scenario. The premiss being that a Warlord Titan has suffered damage/a major malfunction to it's Void Field Generator and has been withdrawn behind the front lines, the opposing force has become aware of this and has prepared a strike mission to try and destroy the Titan while it is vulnable.

At the moment the mission is in draft, not tried at all so I'm looking for some feed back before we make a first go of it.

Forces: The Attacker may select upto 200pts of Aircraft, the Defender may select upto 100pts of Aircraft and Ground Defences and a further 50pts of Aircraft in Reserve.

Setup: 6' x 4' Table, the Titan is placed in the center of the board, any ground defences may be set up within 18" of the Titan. Attacking forces arrive from a random short table edge (while the attacker has the element of the surprise they may not be able to attack via their preferred route in order to maintain this) with defending Aircraft deployed on the opposite table edge - reserves will also arrive on this edge.

Victory Conditions:
If the titan is destroyed the attackers score a major victory.
If the titan is undamaged the defenders score a major victory.
In any other circumstance victory is worked out using normal Victory Points with each point of damage caused on the Titan worth 5VPs to the Attacking side.

Damaged Warlord Titan:

Hits 10

Weaponry -
Air Defence Battery Left Side, Front +2 4-2-0 4+ ul
Air Defence Battery Right Side, Front +2 4-2-0 4+ ul

Special Rules - Movement
After comming online the titan may opt not to move or to use one of the following Manoeiver Cards picked as normal, the titan moves as described on the card at the beginning of its turn but has no further movement. The titan may not adjust it's altitude.

Cards 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

Special Rules - Comming Online
Behind the lines - presumed safe - and under repair the Titans systems have been deactivated, as the incomming attack is detected the crew rush to bring operational systems online.
Movement may only occur after 1D3+1 Turns.

The movement is included to make the whole mission a bit more interesting then a standard bombing mission - especially for actual bombing, to offset the extra difficulty this can cause the attacker the Defender must wait for some of his forces to arrive.

rev
16-04-2007, 14:49
looks really intresting! can't wait to give this a go.

Lt. Co Steel
16-04-2007, 20:04
i like the look of this one, a moving target is a interesting notion. can't wait to give my mauraders a crack at it. Is that 24 at close range for the titans air defence platforms?

mageboltrat
16-04-2007, 20:08
Nah height +2 ..... 4-2-0 unfortunately... I think it's a bit lame...

Col.Gravis
16-04-2007, 20:09
Well if anyone tries it do let us know it goes on, and make any suggestions observations you like!

+2 is the Altitude 4 is short ranged firepower, sorry should have made that more clear, will do a PDF of the scenario once it's finalised.

How so mageboltrat? Remember the Titans armament is just Air Defence batteries, basicly autocannon, I thought about including the titans primary weapons but thats probably a bit much for this scenario - dont want to overpower the titan.

Lt. Co Steel
16-04-2007, 20:12
Nah height +2 ..... 4-2-0 unfortunately... I think it's a bit lame...

Ah, shame, 24 firepower would be quite a challenge, anything that comes to close dies. maybe i'll try it like that anyway, just for fun:D .

Col.Gravis
16-04-2007, 20:13
Well remember from the front at close range it's still firepower 8 effectively - there are two batteries, both can cover the front, and one can cover each flank so the only place you can safely approach it is the rear.

Lt. Co Steel
16-04-2007, 20:17
thats true, 8 sounds fair enough. still going to try 24 for each mind ;) .

Col.Gravis
16-04-2007, 20:19
lol well see it you get on ;) if it works out that firepower is too low at the moment can always be increased, if the attackers are having too easy a time of it - that the reason for play testing :)

lomo
16-04-2007, 20:51
Sound like an awesome scenario, might need some play testing to perfect but the concept sounds really fun.

Col.Gravis
17-04-2007, 10:00
Following a little discussion now over on Airspace gonna suggest reducing the Titan's HPs to 10 and see how that runs - if thats too much or not enough it can be altered a bit following play testing.

SanguinaryDan
17-04-2007, 13:50
As the Titan begins the game "damaged" how exactly do the defenders score a major victory for having an "undamaged" Titan? ;)

Col.Gravis
17-04-2007, 13:59
lol well I suppose someone had to suggest that lol

I think you know what I mean though, if the Titan does not lose any HP's during the game it becomes an automatic Defender Victory.

Wolflord Havoc
18-04-2007, 12:47
Damaging hits should only hurt the titan if the hit rolls the extra damage roll ie 6 for a Shrike etc. Other weapon hits or weapons without the extra damage ability would just be too weak to hurt it (and that would include the Sextuplet Autocannon in the nose of the Marauder Destroyer). After all this Titan is rather hard with very think armor and is too all intents and perposes impervious to non-anti Tank weapons.

So this leaves you with Missiles, Bombs, Lasercannon etc with which to attack the machine. Other weapons could of course take on ground defences but I just do not see heavy bolter or Auto cannon fire being powerful enough.

I agree that these weapons are probably powerful enough to take on a Tank or APC etc and certainly can perferate another aircraft - but a Titan is the big bad, King of the Battlefield etc even with its void shields on the blink.

Just my 2 pennies worth

Col.Gravis
18-04-2007, 13:22
I completely agree Wolflord Havoc, many weapons have very little chance of doing anything to the Titan, however limiting it so severely would have major implications for mission balance - either the Titan HPs would need to be reduced drasticly or the attacker would have to have their numerical advantage increased by a significant margin.

Wolflord Havoc
18-04-2007, 14:19
Your not wrong - I was just 'Keepin it real'.

Game balance and fun are quite rightly more important.

P.S. nice work on D Coy/1st Battalion/4th Praetorian Foot 'The Lord Governor's Own'.

I especially liked the 'Gatling Guns'.

mageboltrat
18-04-2007, 19:07
Remember certain fleets like Orks do not have extra damage weapons.

Gen.Steiner
18-04-2007, 22:02
For those of you wanting firepower 24, why not have that as part of 'Coming Online' - the Titan's main weapons systems are powered, and, instead of moving or firing the air defence, it can fire its Volcano Cannon/Turbolaser Battery/Vulcan Mega-Bolter... hits on a 5+ if the target's at altitude 1, hits on a 6+ otherwise. ;)