PDA

View Full Version : A question of SM Army composition and Companies

Heero-Severus
16-04-2007, 16:00
I rarely venture a post onto this section as im not the most leaned person on this subject :) Which is why I have come to you with a question of sorts :D

Im currently in the process of putting together a Ultramarines army. Its contingent numbers a Terminator Command Squad with Librarian. 2 Tactical squads in Razorbacks. 2 Predators, and a vindicator. The army will eventually roll out into a 4th company Ultras army. But at this stage im not sure what they are.

With the composition Above I have 1st company command, 4th company tactical squads, and the heavy support tanks. My question is, what company do the tanks fall into, or are they beyond the Codex Company structure?

If you could detail any knowlege you have on this kind of composition. It would be handy, as the more information the better.

Thommy H
16-04-2007, 17:37
Battle tanks (i.e. everything that isn't a Rhino or a Razorback) are kept by the Armoury, so you're correct that they're outside the Company structure in a Codex Chapter. You shouldn't give them Company markings (if you're bothering with them at all).

The only exception to the above is that the 1st Company has a pool of Land Raiders, so if you have some of them you have a choice as to whether you paint them with 1st Company markings or no Company markings at all. Of course, unless your playing Dark Angels (where a Deathwing Land Raider would be white instead of green) stuff like that doesn't really matter that much.

Rambunctious Clott
16-04-2007, 17:54
Librarians are also outside of company structure (as far as I'm aware) they're part of the Chapter HQ. Each company has a Captain, Chaplain, Apothecary and Standard Bearer. I'm hoping to begin my own space marine chapter some time soon, White Consuls (likewise rigidly following the Codex Astartes)

Curis
16-04-2007, 17:56
According to UK WD 195 - each company (except the 10th) keeps enough Rhinos to transport all of its squads and officers. They'd be painted with their squad's markings. The Razorbacks, Predators and Vindicators would be allocated from the Armoury. Thommy H has already pointed this all out.

However, Games Workshop tends to paint company markings on all their marine vehicles. Most confusing.

Curis
16-04-2007, 18:02
Librarians are also outside of company structure (as far as I'm aware) they're part of the Chapter HQ.

Yeah, Librarians are allocated from the Librarius.

Minister
16-04-2007, 22:02
Non-Rhinos are maintained by the Armoury, but vehicles which are integrated with a company for a long period (which includes Razorbacks most of the time, and can include any other vehicle) will assume company markings and their crews will assume company colours. See the Ultramarines codex for details if you can.

Librarians and Techmarines do not wear company colours. Chaplains and Apothecaries assigned to the companies (which will not be all of them) do.

Heero-Severus
17-04-2007, 11:49
Cheers for the great replies guys. My intention is to get the army marked up correctly and in accordance with Codex structure.

Appreciate your time on this , thankyou.

Minister
17-04-2007, 13:52
One thing, and my favourate gripe: Sergeants have red helmets and a red Iron Skull device over the chapter symbol. Veteran Sergeants have the same, but the helmet is red with a white stripe. Forgetting this makes old Ultramarine players annoyed.

:)

Heero-Severus
17-04-2007, 14:44
Cheers for that pointer. there are no vet sgts in my list at this time. But its little things like this that make a nice army great, and that is what i aim for!