PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 3

Ravening Wh0re
02-08-2005, 12:38
I just orgasmed looking at this stuff. SC is my favourite 3D fighter of all time, having followed it since Soul Edge

Not only is my favourite fighter back (Siegfried) (my other is Voldo), You get to design your own characters!

1up.com is doing a week-long special on it, with videos for each day.
I hope they make Raphael and Kilik less scrubby this time round

http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/

Day one:http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3142254

Day two:http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Soulcalibur3/video1.html

Day three:http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Soulcalibur3/video2.html

Day four:http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3142390

Day five:http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3142394

I can't wait!

edit: forgot to mention that Necrid is gone. Yay!

grey_painter
02-08-2005, 14:06
I never realised Necrid was so unpopular. Granted I almost never used him and never had any urge to use him but I didn't realise he was hated.

After reading all that and watching all the videos I'm really excited about this game now too. The thing that caught my eye the most was the story mode. I've always wanted to see a fighting game where you actually got to see the story as you go through the fights, rather than just climbing a ladder and having to read the story else where. Plus I'm a sucker for gimmick stuff that they've promised in the story mode.

x-esiv-4c
02-08-2005, 15:52
I liked Necrid :)

This is going to be a PS3 exclusive right?

Ravening Wh0re
02-08-2005, 16:25
I liked Necrid :)

This is going to be a PS3 exclusive right?

Unfortunately it's a Sony exclusive :(
It's madness considering the GC version sold the most units.

Surely noone likes Necrid! He was so crap to play, and really didn't fit into the Soul Calibur universe. I suspected he was designed by MacFarlane, and was annoyed when I found out it was so.

Bubble Ghost
02-08-2005, 16:37
I hope they make Raphael and Kilik less scrubby this time round

Aha, maybe I can ask you without looking like an idiot. I've seen this "scrub" word thrown around on many a fighting game site but, having only recently bothered looking on the net for stuff about such games, I have no idea what it means and I can only try to work it out from context. I think it seems to refer to someone who wins by button-mashing - although I have a horrible feeling that 'scrub' might simply be an elitist buzzword for anyone who has to ask what a scrub is. Confirm or deny..?

Catterjee
02-08-2005, 19:40
Thats more or less correct. My definition of scrub is "character you can win with, without thinking" Toss Maxi in there as well.

I'm sucking 56K right now, so I haven't looked at the vids yet, but its great to hear Siegfried is back. I hope they'll resolve the Nightmare/Siegfried story at some point.

I'd heard about the create-a-character a while ago, and its welcome. It should spice things up a bit. Personally, though I felt SC2 was a good game, I preferred SC1. I'm not sure why, but for some reason although SC2 was the technologically superior game, I thought SC1 was more fun.

I'm glad its a Sony exclusive, as quite frankly I hated the Link and Spawn bonus characters. Fanboys loved them, but they had no place in the game. Projectiles? Give me a break. At least Heihatchi, having no range, took skill to use.

And why the hell was it called Soul Calibur 2 (and now 3) and not Soul Edge 3 (and now 4)?

Venomizer
02-08-2005, 21:01
I'll be having this on pre-order as soon as i find out if Taki is in the game

grey_painter
02-08-2005, 21:41
The article said all previous Soul Calibur characters were in except for Necrid and the other novelty characters. So go make that preorder*

*I shall not be held responsible if they take any other character out between now and release date:p

Lostanddamned
02-08-2005, 23:16
I hope to god Talim is in there, I love the speed and massive combos you can rack up with her. And no I don't just button bash, I play with speed and skill, button-mashers really annoy me.

I recently lost 10 games in a row to Nightmare because the player was just smacking me whilst I was down and not allowing me to get up, in the end i had to continually sidestep out of his way, then knock him over, using Mitsirugi. How did he counter me in the next game? He used Rapheal, IMO the worst charachter in the game.

Yes Necrid stuck out like a sore thumb (as did Link and Spawn) but he took a vauge level of skill to use, as you had to basicly memorise what weaopn his attacks came up with. IMO the most challengeing charachter to use is Charade, because the player has to have committed all of the charachters to memory in at least a basic skill level, and then recognise their fighting styles in a few seconds.

strange
03-08-2005, 02:11
And Necrid was as broken as my bike.

Either way, its Mitsurugi all the way. I usually play people who start howling if youre on a streak and choose the same character over and over again, which kind of kills the skill. And hey Mitsu just fits my style of play. Sigfried is also pretty cool, which was the ain thing I LOVED about SC2, the big brutes worked, WELL, first time in a fighter for me. Cant wait to try out SC3, and VF4evo esque designing sounds fun. As long as they keep it GROUNDED, and true to the universe.

Well, played it since Edge (or Blade as it was called over here), and yes it is indeed the best 3D fighter ever made.

Ravening Wh0re
03-08-2005, 02:44
Aha, maybe I can ask you without looking like an idiot. I've seen this "scrub" word thrown around on many a fighting game site but, having only recently bothered looking on the net for stuff about such games, I have no idea what it means and I can only try to work it out from context. I think it seems to refer to someone who wins by button-mashing - although I have a horrible feeling that 'scrub' might simply be an elitist buzzword for anyone who has to ask what a scrub is. Confirm or deny..?

Ah, BG, I'm surprised it's not in your gamers vocab! Especially since I assume you're a fightin' fan, what with the Rose avatar and all. ;)

Well, scrubby bacially means a character that really doesn't take much skill to use. Someone with overpowered moves, or perhaps a button-bashers dream.
Yes, Maxi belongs in this category too. I just wish they'd resurrect Li-Long, HE'D show Maxi some proper nunchaku skills :)

ALL the chars from SC2 is back (sans Necrid)
I think they'd be an uproar if any characters were omitted, since fans tend to grow quite attached to their chosen. (I was miffed, no, extremely pissed off there was no Siegfried in SC2)

On this note of omission of chars, at least now you can MAKE your own dream fighter. Very cool

Bubble Ghost
03-08-2005, 03:07
Especially since I assume you're a fightin' fan, what with the Rose avatar and all. ;)

Well duh.:D

Like I said, although I may be a fighting game fan, I'm not really an internet fan; Warseer and a couple of webcomics is about all I use it for apart from specific, one-off research. So when I finally decided to look around recently for info on a few MAME ROMs I've downloaded (I delete them and download them again every 24 hours so as to comply with copyright law. No really:angel:), I tripped over a load of jargon with nary an FAQ in sight. Cheers for the explanation. Likewise Catterjee.

Ravening Wh0re
03-08-2005, 03:36
Well duh.:D

Like I said, although I may be a fighting game fan, I'm not really an internet fan; Warseer and a couple of webcomics is about all I use it for apart from specific, one-off research. So when I finally decided to look around recently for info on a few MAME ROMs I've downloaded (I delete them and download them again every 24 hours so as to comply with copyright law. No really:angel:), I tripped over a load of jargon with nary an FAQ in sight. Cheers for the explanation. Likewise Catterjee.

Well, I never saw it as an internet word really. I've been using it long before I ever had this newfangled interweb thingy.
Just like buttonmasher/basher, tap-throw and other such terms that seem to just evolve into your arsenal :)

Catterjee
03-08-2005, 08:00
I just wish they'd resurrect Li-Long, HE'D show Maxi some proper nunchaku skills :)

I was annoyed when Maxi was back for SC2 after his supposed death in SC1. I was hoping for a new nunchaku user, who would then die in his/her ending, keeping with the precedent.

Bubble Ghost
03-08-2005, 14:36
Well, I never saw it as an internet word really. I've been using it long before I ever had this newfangled interweb thingy.
Just like buttonmasher/basher, tap-throw and other such terms that seem to just evolve into your arsenal :)

Yeah, but how? They must have got there from somewhere, and I've never seen them (apart from button mashing) in a print publication. And I don't know what you mean by tap-throw either. :confused: God I'm rubbish.

Inquisitor Mikarovic
03-08-2005, 16:16
+1 on the "tap-throw". :eyebrows:

I like my fighters. I like Soul caliber 2. It was the first I played in the series, so I've no idea what having Siegfried back means. Please tell me he's German and he uses a curvy Zweihander. That'd be ace.

Moving along, I guess it's my lack of hardcore knowledge in the whole fightin' thing that accounts for my oblivious state over labeling Raphael so. I figured he'd be a bit of a challenge, what with all the twirling, and the dodging, and the preparationing and all. He's definately my favorite for style (though if anyone stepped up with a Chinese spear [or "Qiang" as we say in the industry] I'd nearly die of warm feelings in the nether-regions), the nonchalant fencing getup is just too cool to pass up.

All in all, I'm way behind on the insanely fine details that die-hard SC fans seem to know as if second nature. I can only barely parry stuff with Kilik's quarter-circle, guard-impact, "my-staff-is-all-pink" thingies (though it's unbelievably cool when you pull it off and follow it up with a flying kick to the kisser). It's just a good way of wasting half an hour; going into practice, whacking it on medium difficulty and beating the **** out of a Samurai.

Create a character should be tops. There's seems to be tonnes of possible looks. I wonder how close I could get to my namesake...

Ravening Wh0re
03-08-2005, 16:34
Yeah, but how? They must have got there from somewhere, and I've never seen them (apart from button mashing) in a print publication. And I don't know what you mean by tap-throw either. :confused: God I'm rubbish.

How? I'm not quite sure. You tend to either make it up, or pick it up from friends.

And tap-throw? Back in the darks days of fighters (ala SF), you could well be beaten up if you threw someone in the game. And the biggest nono was the tap-throw. Little punch (tap) and then throw :)

ps: oh wow! you got a cool new av! where'd you get it?

Bubble Ghost
03-08-2005, 17:09
ps: oh wow! you got a cool new av! where'd you get it?

http://www.capcomcomics.com/StreetFighter/Gallery/

It's an excellent comic, as well. I've got the first two compiliations of it - gorgeous art and a bloody good storyline too.

Catterjee
03-08-2005, 21:46
I like my fighters. I like Soul caliber 2. It was the first I played in the series, so I've no idea what having Siegfried back means. Please tell me he's German and he uses a curvy Zweihander. That'd be ace.

Well, close. German yes, Zweihander yes, curvy no.

Siegfried was one of the characters from Soul Edge. The long and short of it is that he aquired the Soul Edge and it corrupted him, turning him into Nightmare. Their styles are very similar, though there are enough differences that I prefer Siegfried (Plus I think he's cooler looking visually). Siegfried was also an unlockable character in Soul Calibur where I think he really shined.

Ravening Wh0re
04-08-2005, 02:50
Well, close. German yes, Zweihander yes, curvy no.

Siegfried was one of the characters from Soul Edge. The long and short of it is that he aquired the Soul Edge and it corrupted him, turning him into Nightmare. Their styles are very similar, though there are enough differences that I prefer Siegfried (Plus I think he's cooler looking visually). Siegfried was also an unlockable character in Soul Calibur where I think he really shined.

Indeed. Most people think Siegfried and Nightmare are almost identical in fighting styles, but Nightmare's comes across as more.....brutal.

In Soul Edge, Siegfried had 2 costumes, a knight's armour, and a squire's tunic. He was young y'see :)

Was there a reason for his omission? Was it to keep up a pretense of continuity?

Ravening Wh0re
04-08-2005, 07:22
Well, since there's not a lot going on in here, I meight as well hijack it for something else.

Let's talk about fightin' games!

Anyone have SF2 Anniversary Edition?
I have a few niggles about it.

Vega's Izna drop (whatever it's called, the flashkick move that makes you jump off the wall) is extremely difficult to pull off! I can perhap do it less than 10% of the time that I intend to, and that spoils it for me. I've tried different timing, tried it with negative edge, everything and still can't do it successfully.
Is it a bug?
I know it's not my skill, because Guile's flashkick and Blanka's vertical roll is still good.

And another thing, how come FeiLong's moves can't be done with negative edge? It's not too much of a problem for me since I can time it pretty well, but sometimes it does save your skin in a tight situation.

Catterjee
04-08-2005, 08:15
Indeed. Most people think Siegfried and Nightmare are almost identical in fighting styles, but Nightmare's comes across as more.....brutal.

Quite true. The differences in the two styles are a handful of moves at most, but they just happen to be moves I like.

Was there a reason for his omission? Was it to keep up a pretense of continuity?
I thought so at first, but what with the Sophitia/Cassandra redundancy, I don't really know

Catterjee
04-08-2005, 08:21
Well, since there's not a lot going on in here, I meight as well hijack it for something else.

Let's talk about fightin' games!

Anyone have SF2 Anniversary Edition?
I have a few niggles about it.

Vega's Izna drop (whatever it's called, the flashkick move that makes you jump off the wall) is extremely difficult to pull off! I can perhap do it less than 10% of the time that I intend to, and that spoils it for me. I've tried different timing, tried it with negative edge, everything and still can't do it successfully.
Is it a bug?

I don't have that game (Yet. Though since I'm the only one of my circle of friends with a functioning Dreamcast, I'll be getting it for Third Strike), but I need to ask, are you using a pad or a stick?

Are we allowed to talk about emulators here? I've been using NeoRAGE to catch up on a lot of great fighters I've missed out on. Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee stick out. Princess Sissy from Matrimelee may be the cheapest boss I've ever fought.

Ravening Wh0re
04-08-2005, 10:09
I don't have that game (Yet. Though since I'm the only one of my circle of friends with a functioning Dreamcast, I'll be getting it for Third Strike), but I need to ask, are you using a pad or a stick?

Are we allowed to talk about emulators here? I've been using NeoRAGE to catch up on a lot of great fighters I've missed out on. Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee stick out. Princess Sissy from Matrimelee may be the cheapest boss I've ever fought.

Huh, as you may have read on the other thread, my version of Anniversary Ed doesn't come with SF3 :cries:

I usually use a stick. I've bought this superb SEGA stick the other day, it works exactly like the Dreamcast one but has an 8way box for better roll. Quite happy with it. Now, if only I could secure it on a surface.....

Gosh, I haven't touched an emulator for aaaages. I used to play Mark of the Wolves on it most, but pc stick and pads are just rubbish.

Catterjee
04-08-2005, 16:59
Huh, as you may have read on the other thread, my version of Anniversary Ed doesn't come with SF3 :cries:
Yes, I read that just after posting my comment about SF3 here. You have my condolences.

I usually use a stick. I've bought this superb SEGA stick the other day, it works exactly like the Dreamcast one but has an 8way box for better roll. Quite happy with it. Now, if only I could secure it on a surface.....
Hmmm... odd. I thought for sure you'd say pad. All I can suggest is trying the move with a pad, and seeing if the results are any different.
What stick is it anyway? I've yet to find a PS2 stick worth a damn.

Gosh, I haven't touched an emulator for aaaages. I used to play Mark of the Wolves on it most, but pc stick and pads are just rubbish.
Yeah. I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder pad, and for most games the d-pad just isn't sensitive enough. That being said, Rage of the Dragons, Matrimelee, and KOF '97 respond very well.

Ravening Wh0re
04-08-2005, 17:50
Hmmm... odd. I thought for sure you'd say pad. All I can suggest is trying the move with a pad, and seeing if the results are any different.
What stick is it anyway? I've yet to find a PS2 stick worth a damn.

Unfortunately I tried the moves with pad as well and it just wasn't happening.
I don;t ever recall it being so damned near impossible to execute in the arcade.
And another gripe, it's nowhere near arcade-perfect.

What stick is it? It called the SEGA Virtua Stick. It's almost identical to the Dreamcast arcade stick. If you ever had one of these you'll know what to expect. It's the same kind of sticks you get on sega cabinets in the arcade.
(I actually would prefer the old springy type sticks that you used to play on but since many years of cabinets with sega sticks, I've become used to them).

Not many beatumup fans around here, are there?
(Actually, not that many gamers :()

Catterjee
04-08-2005, 23:07
Unfortunately I tried the moves with pad as well and it just wasn't happening.
I don;t ever recall it being so damned near impossible to execute in the arcade.
And another gripe, it's nowhere near arcade-perfect.

Ugh.

It's almost identical to the Dreamcast arcade stick. If you ever had one of these you'll know what to expect.
Was that the one with the white & gray casing, with bright green buttons, made by Agetech? I have one of those and love it to day. Its the only controller I'll use to play fighters on the Dreamcast. I need to aquire a second one somehow.

Not many beatumup fans around here, are there?
(Actually, not that many gamers :()

I'd like to think I make up for that lack, in terms of quality. :angel:

Ravening Wh0re
04-08-2005, 23:43
Was that the one with the white & gray casing, with bright green buttons, made by Agetech? I have one of those and love it to day. Its the only controller I'll use to play fighters on the Dreamcast. I need to aquire a second one somehow.

That's the one. Now this one has a black casing (to go woth the PS2) and has better roll!

Heh, and in my house you tend to have 2 of every peripheral and 4+joypads. It's a mess of wires I tells ya.

I'd like to think I make up for that lack, in terms of quality. :angel:

You certainly do. Along with Bubble Ghost we can have some nice discussions :)

I sure do miss BobbertT (sp?) and Vaul though

strange
05-08-2005, 02:19
Its been quite some time since I played SF2, but Im starting to get into SF3, which plays like a dream. Since my main char is Ryu its not a problem. Id REALLY like to see a SF3 style SF with the original cast, capcom should really do it because the line-up in SF3 is horrid. It just becomes way too goofy, the original cast in updated graphics and updated gameply would truly be a dream come true.

I? not all to good with sticks and prefer to play SC2 on the Gamecube, yep. Dunno why, the controller probably just grew on me, and executing combos works like a dream.

Catterjee
05-08-2005, 04:17
...because the line-up in SF3 is horrid. It just becomes way too goofy...
Goofy? The only remotely goofy characters I can think of are Oro, Nerco, and Twelve (And I LOVE Necro). You're making that compairson to the cast of Stereotype Fighter II: The World Tourist? Given a choice between E. Honda and Remy, I'll take the goth-punk.

Icewalker
17-09-2005, 22:49
How sad that this is PS exclusive (PS2 right?). Anyway, at least I can make up female characters with pole-arms. Pole-arms are SWEET. Voldo looks really scary in this one, but the new characters look AWESOME. I like the black guy who looks like the Grim Reaper. He looks badass.

Darkwind
17-09-2005, 23:27

If I remember correctly it's because they're the same person, Nightmare being Sigfried after being possessed by the soul edge. Thats why the alternate Nightmare costume looks a whole lot like him, and why the unlockable costume IS him.

Zark the Damned
17-09-2005, 23:49
If I remember correctly it's because they're the same person, Nightmare being Sigfried after being possessed by the soul edge. Thats why the alternate Nightmare costume looks a whole lot like him, and why the unlockable costume IS him.
Yup, Nightmare is Sigfried after being possessed.

Soul Cal 3 looks ace. I've heard that the character creator mode has an insane amount of options available for your character's look.

The Scythe dude looks badass, hope he's as good as Astaroth :)

Re: Maxi - he wasn't killed in Soul Calibur, he was poisoned. According to the story, Kilik and Xianghua managed to find a cure.

Re: People screaming at you if you get on a winning streak with one character - my mates used to do that as well, so I branched out in SC1 and 2 and can passably use most of the characters. I still utterly destroy them with Astaroth and Cervantes though. (and still havent gotten used to some of the noobies in SC2)

Darkwind
17-09-2005, 23:58
The trick to avoid screaming for character switching is to just play Charade all the time ;)

Zark the Damned
18-09-2005, 00:02
Yup, I do that sometimes (Inferno or Edge Master in SC1).

Usually i just pick a random char and keep em for the match.

Ravening Wh0re
18-09-2005, 00:57

I know that. :)
But, they were both in SC1 and it just seemed strange (and unfair) to omit my beloved Siegfried

Catterjee
18-09-2005, 08:04
But, they were both in SC1 and it just seemed strange (and unfair) to omit my beloved Siegfried

Thats right!
Whoever made that decision deserves a kick in the head.

And I still say Maxi should have bit it in SC1. Keep Li Long company.

Icewalker
18-09-2005, 17:06
Is anyone mad that this is only on PS2 though? I am outraged mainly because I hated the PS2 version and Heihachi sucked. I find that the GC version was better. Why is it that it's only for PS2? WHY!?

Anyway, the scythe dude really does look badass. The girl with the big circular sword looks cool. Anyone know what the heck those are called? (like the xena circle blade thingy hoober)

Zark the Damned
18-09-2005, 17:44
Xena's circle blade was a Chakram.

I believe the hoop weapon is called a ringblade, or something like that.

I preferred the PS2 version to the GC though, the GC pad seemed really awkward to use with beat em ups...

Oh yeah, it's PS2 exclusive because it features Dante (from Devil May Cry) as a bonus character :)

Capcom let Namco use the character because Capcom licensed the Soul Cal 3 fighting engine for part of DMC3. But Capcom doesn't want Dante appearing on any other consoles.

grey_painter
18-09-2005, 19:46
Oh yeah, it's PS2 exclusive because it features Dante (from Devil May Cry) as a bonus character :)

Seriously? This game has just risen dramatically on my wishlist.

Icewalker
18-09-2005, 19:53
Seriously? This game has just risen dramatically on my wishlist.
Really? Dante is so badass. Now I understand. Now I really really want to get this game. That guy who looks liek the Grim REaper in white really looks badass though. I forget what his name was. It said in the trailer which looks beautiful.

Zark the Damned
18-09-2005, 21:46
Zasalamel should be cool :)

Looks like he'll play like Astaroth, with some air-throws and some surprisingly agile moves.

http://soulcalibur3.namco.com/

The official site is up, got some cool videos and stuff.

Ravening Wh0re
18-09-2005, 22:10
I preferred the PS2 version to the GC though, the GC pad seemed really awkward to use with beat em ups...

The GC pad IS awkward to use for beatemups, EXCEPT for SC. It's the perfect pad for SC, no doubt. Btw, GC version of SC2 sold more than the PS2 or Xbox one. Says something doesn't it?

Zasalamel should be cool :)

Looks like he'll play like Astaroth, with some air-throws and some surprisingly agile moves.

Nah, he's faster and doesn't throw nearly enough. Just look at the vids

Icewalker
19-09-2005, 00:16
do you guys ever think it'll be released on GC? Only reason I ask is cause they are some games (take GTA:VC fur example) that were realeased on other platforms as time went by. I get the feeling though that will not happen though. Am I right or wrong?

Icewalker
19-09-2005, 00:35
This looks so dang cool!! Siegfried is now going to replace Nightmare cause he's not butt ugly like himself as Nightmare. That stupid horn on his head has made himself look really ugly.

Catterjee
19-09-2005, 05:45
Is anyone mad that this is only on PS2 though? I am outraged mainly because I hated the PS2 version and Heihachi sucked. I find that the GC version was better.
Heihachi sucked? He was the only bonus character that took any skill whatsoever to use! You HAD to know how to guard impact with him. Don't get me started on what a bunch of cheese merchants Link and Spawn were. Projectiles have no place in the SC games.

The GC pad IS awkward to use for beatemups, EXCEPT for SC. It's the perfect pad for SC, no doubt.
Clearly you are mad. I could vomit onto a peice of plastic and the result would be a better controller for SC then the GC pad.

In fact, I suspect that is how the GC pad was designed.

Btw, GC version of SC2 sold more than the PS2 or Xbox one. Says something doesn't it?

Yeah, it says there's a metric crap-ton of Link fanboys out there.

Icewalker
19-09-2005, 11:22
Yeah, it says there's a metric crap-ton of Link fanboys out there.
Bah, I hate Link. He's so cheap. Anyone know if this will EVER be out on GC though or on Xbox?

Zark the Damned
19-09-2005, 12:08
I disliked all of the bonus 'from other game' characters from the various SC2 versions. None of them fitted in at all...

The GC pad isn't THAT bad :)

Ravening Wh0re
19-09-2005, 13:56
Bah, I hate Link. He's so cheap. Anyone know if this will EVER be out on GC though or on Xbox?

NEVER (although things DO change). Sony pulled a "Tekken" on us and it will be confined to the PS2

ps, Mr Cat, who cares about pads anyway? A REAL fighter uses a stick :D

Icewalker
19-09-2005, 20:16
NEVER (although things DO change). Sony pulled a "Tekken" on us and it will be confined to the PS2

NO!!!!

I don't like PS2. I guess I'll have to deal with it. Oh well. Least I own one already.

Catterjee
19-09-2005, 20:29
Point. Though the Namco stick I bought with PS1 Soul Blade has decided that its square button no longer wishes to work, and the Shadowblade stick I bought to replace it turned out to be less then impressive. I find the Dual Shock layout works well for Soul ____ and Tekken stuff, and to a degree Virtua Fighter. Everything else needs a stick.

Icewalker
20-09-2005, 02:27
Well, I may as well ask the question even though we really can't accuratly answer the question, favorite Soul Caliber character ever?

I vote Nightmare, and then Ivy. Zasalamel looks like new fave too.

Zark the Damned
20-09-2005, 08:51
Astaroth and Cervantes for me. I find Nightmare a bit fiddly tbh...

Also Voldo, for sheer insanity. Dance around the opponent!

Icewalker
20-09-2005, 11:28
Also Voldo, for sheer insanity. Dance around the opponent!
And you hump them w/ Voldo. What a creepy character. His new costume looks scary.

Zark the Damned
20-09-2005, 12:17
ALL his costumes look scary...

Voldo Air-Humping for teh win!

Ravening Wh0re
20-09-2005, 12:50
I find the Dual Shock layout works well for Soul ____ and Tekken stuff, and to a degree Virtua Fighter. Everything else needs a stick.

:eek: Are you seriously trying to tell me you use the analogue sticks to play fighting games? Hell, on pad I always use the D-pad. It's too loose on analogue.
I can't imagine pulling off a Zangief or T-Hawk super without the dpad on a joypad.

(and that's why the GC pad isnt so bad for SC. The D works and I think has an intuitive button layout for it ;))

Oh! Almost forgot! Siegfried and Voldo FTW!

Icewalker
20-09-2005, 20:59
ALL his costumes look scary...

Voldo Air-Humping for teh win!
Yeah, but now you can see his **** his in new one. Ugh. How revealing can these game developers get in their characters?

Zark the Damned
20-09-2005, 21:19
Yeah, but now you can see his **** his in new one. Ugh. How revealing can these game developers get in their characters?
Not enough in the case of Ivy!

Catterjee
21-09-2005, 00:12
:eek: Are you seriously trying to tell me you use the analogue sticks to play fighting games? Hell, on pad I always use the D-pad. It's too loose on analogue.
I can't imagine pulling off a Zangief or T-Hawk super without the dpad on a joypad.
No. I meant Dual Shock as in the name of the controller, not the actual sticks. Analogue sometimes for SC, but the d-pad for everything else.

(and that's why the GC pad isnt so bad for SC. The D works and I think has an intuitive button layout for it ;))
Are you serious? That d-pad is smaller then a piece of Lucky Charms cereal. I can't do a thing with it, and I hate the button layout with a passion.

Also: Siegfried and Voldo for me. I like Ivy as well, but I'm not very good with her.

Icewalker
21-09-2005, 02:16
Also: Siegfried and Voldo for me. I like Ivy as well, but I'm not very good with her.
I just learned how to use Ivy. It's tough and she's fragile but when you learn how to use her, she is nasty. Of course you all knew that though of course.

Ivy, well, she's a whole different story in terms of costumes. I just like watching her bounce up and down. :D

Ravening Wh0re
21-09-2005, 21:05

:eek:
Are you my clone (or long lost brother)? I like Ivy too, but never put enough time into her (she's a tricksy beast)

also: henceforth you shall be known to me as Brother Cat

Catterjee
22-09-2005, 05:36
:eek:
Are you my clone (or long lost brother)? I like Ivy too, but never put enough time into her (she's a tricksy beast)
Lover on the wrong side of the planet actually. Didn't you get the memo?

also: henceforth you shall be known to me as Brother Cat

Does that make you Sister Wh0re? :eek:

Icewalker
22-09-2005, 21:06
Does that make you Sister Wh0re? :eek:
Lol. das funny.

any other characters brought back from the grave besides Siegefried (whatever his name is)?

Flame Boy
24-09-2005, 21:26
Well, if it's PS2 exclusive, I won't be getting it. Shame. I think It's the best fighting game series out there. I'd love to have another crack at playing Lizardman, Astaroth and pals.

If it's staying on a Sony machine I'm not going near it.

Catterjee
03-10-2005, 08:35
I was just thinking about the first time I played Soul Calibur. The arcade at the mall had just got it in, and I think Hwang had been time-unlocked. There was a big line as people kept trying to beat a guy who was just schooling everyone with Mitsurugi.

I remember looking at the screen and realizing there was no way in hell that the Playstation could handle it. Soul Edge was a system seller for me, and I found myself wondering what I'd end up buying for this. There were rumors about Sega working on a new console, but nobody knew anything about it at the time.

So I got in line and waited. Eventually my turn came up. I popped in my money, and highlighted a character. I think it was Nightmare since he looked kind of like Siegfried, my best character in Soul Edge.

I went to hit the button to select him... and sneezed. My hand went spastic on the joystick as a result, and I ended up selecting Voldo.

"Oh crap." I thought. I'd barely used him in Soul Edge. In the time between the selection and the start of round 1, I tried to remember what moves I could, and hoped the inputs were the same this time around. This Mitsurugi player was good, and I didn't want to get totally humiliated by him. With an inward sigh, round 1 began.

I beat the crap out of that guy. I think I Perfect'd round 2.

He left, rather surprised I believe, and I fought a few more people with Voldo until I eventually lost.

Ravening Wh0re
03-10-2005, 09:39
I was just thinking about the first time I played Soul Calibur. The arcade at the mall had just got it in, and I think Hwang had been time-unlocked. There was a big line as people kept trying to beat a guy who was just schooling everyone with Mitsurugi.

I remember looking at the screen and realizing there was no way in hell that the Playstation could handle it. Soul Edge was a system seller for me, and I found myself wondering what I'd end up buying for this. There were rumors about Sega working on a new console, but nobody knew anything about it at the time.

So I got in line and waited. Eventually my turn came up. I popped in my money, and highlighted a character. I think it was Nightmare since he looked kind of like Siegfried, my best character in Soul Edge.

I went to hit the button to select him... and sneezed. My hand went spastic on the joystick as a result, and I ended up selecting Voldo.

"Oh crap." I thought. I'd barely used him in Soul Edge. In the time between the selection and the start of round 1, I tried to remember what moves I could, and hoped the inputs were the same this time around. This Mitsurugi player was good, and I didn't want to get totally humiliated by him. With an inward sigh, round 1 began.

I beat the crap out of that guy. I think I Perfect'd round 2.

He left, rather surprised I believe, and I fought a few more people with Voldo until I eventually lost.

:D
I love how people fear Voldo so much when I turn my back on them :). They don't know what's coming next, but they DO know it's when he is most dangerous

Catterjee
03-10-2005, 20:59
:D
I love how people fear Voldo so much...

In my case I'm not sure it was so much fear as opposed to just not knowing what to expect. I recall starting round 1 with that A+K move (deadly rose or something like that?) which took a decent chunk of life off. I don't think he was expecting me to come to him.

This Mitsurugi guy had been using basically 2 moves to win. That kendo tap on the head thing, and that would-be shoryuken move. I guess by taking the fight to him I messed up his plan.

At some point I accidentally did a guard impact, chuckled at how goofy lookint it was, and followed it up with that d+A,A,A move (rat something? I'm lousy with SC move names). I don't recall which round that was.

Finally, towards the end of round 2 I figured out the charged df+A+B unblockable and nailed him with it for the KO, (and ring out just for style points).

Catterjee
29-10-2005, 05:48
Bump.

I'm sitting on the couch at a friend's place, using his laptop to post. We're playing his just-purchased copy of Soul Calibur III.

Wow.

Color me impressed. While I enjoyed Soul Calibur II, in many ways I felt it was a marginal upgrade over Soul Calibur (which in turn was an amazing upgrade over Soul Edge). I'm pleased to say that III feels like a substantial upgrade over II.

First surprise is with the single player. Currently we haven't seen a traditional arcade mode. Instead we have Tales of Souls mode and Chronicles of the Sword mode. Tales mode is a map-based story mode where you can unlock items and characters. It feels similar to the Edge Master modes of games past, though to our surpise there are a few mini games sprinkled in as well. For instance, hitting a button at the right time to dodge a gear your opponent kicks at you pre-fight in a clock tower stage. As I write this, we haven't tried Chronicles mode yet.

Allow me to back up a bit. My friend and I just returned from seeing a movie (opening night of Saw II. Good, bloody fun) and he's fired up the single player while I type. Before we went out we played a fair amount of vs mode.

When you highlight a character, their model zooms into view. This results in breast-jiggle for the female characters... And Astaroth.

When you select a character, you also get to select from a list of weapons. Two are avalible at start. They have the same name but are visually different. Think of them as costume options for the weapon. Oddly, Nightmare's is called "Soul Edge (Phantom)"

You also have 2 costume options and two Edit Color options. Some of the default Edit colors are good, many are horrific (Setsuka looks terrible as a blonde).

Right off the bat, gameplay impressions: Several characters' movesets have been changed. Siegfreid and Nightmare are no longer the same character with a unique move or two. Mitsurugi's seen changes. Taki must have played some King of Fighters in her off time, becuase she has an an unblockable curiously similar to Terry Bogard's 3-hit Power Gyser.

When we loaded up the game and saw the Vs menu we were surprised to see Tourniment mode and League mode in addition to traditional Vs mode.

We loaded up the create-a-character briefly, and given that we had limited time before the movie, we decided to put it off. At a glance it appears to have complexity comperable to a WWE Smackdown game, though I am unsure if you can customize your moves set. Before you get to edit your appearence you have to choose gender and Class (Barbarian, dancer, etc). The class thing leads me to believe that there are set move lists.

Moving on to the 3 new characters. They're fun.

Zasalamel is surprisingly fast given his size. Very bashy though. Imagine Rock or Astaroth with some actual combo ability. And he's a right bastard when it comes to juggling.

Setsuka plays like Taki but with a bit more range. She has a hop-step thing like Sophita and Cassandra had, and she can do many things off of it.

Tira... I think this cute little psycho is my new favorite. She plays like an odd mix of Siegfried and Talim. And I would not be at all surprised if she had an unlockible "naughty schoolgirl" costume. It would fit her personality and fashion sense quite well. Somewhere out there, someone is drawing a hentai Seigfried/Ivy/Tira menage a trois right now. (Sister Wh0re, you'll love her)

Speaking of Talim, thankfully she's been nerfed some. Range reduction. I'd say she's a second tier character now. Still playable, but she handles differently. Much like many of the characters.

Voldo... he has a costume that looks like he's wearing a sunflower for a mask. I'll leave it at that.

I don't want to spoil much reguarding unlockables (there are a lot) or plot, but I will say that the boss of Tales of the Soul mode is obnoxious. The jerk has ranged attacks, and his regular reach is substantial. And he REALLY doesn't like it if you turtle.

A couple final notes, mainly aimed at Sister Wh0re. First of all, the opening movie is Seigfried-a-riffic. Secondly, when my friend and I got back from purchasing the game, the first charfacter I selected was Seigfried. He chose Mitsurugi. Round 1 I perfect'd him. :evilgrin:

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that the soundtrack includes a number of slightly remixed tracks from the first Soul Calibur.

EDIT II, The Revenge: I noticed a few spelling changes. The characters I knew as Seung Mina and Yunsung are now Seong Mi-Na and Yun-Seong.

EDIT III, They Come Back: Holy god, Astaroth has a stupid costume. Stop! Hammer time!

EDIT IV, Milking The Franchise For All Its Worth: Chronicles of the Sword mode seems to be a pseudo-RTS of some sort. Of course, its 4am here, and we're just sitting here tying to figure it out, but mainly going "Buh?" Maybe we should read the instruction book. We'll probably do that tomorrow.

grey_painter
29-10-2005, 19:54
Instruction booklets are for wimps:p

And those who are accussed for cheating for finding out how to preform counters...

Nice little mini review. Glad to hear its as good as we hoped/it hyped. With enough changes to make it worth buying. *jots it down onto the christmas list*

Ravening Wh0re
04-11-2005, 14:36
Thanks for that Brother Cat, but I've been playing it the past couple of days :D (of course)
(here in HK, we get everything the very next day of release day :))

I did of course choose Siegfried first and am uimpressed by his new arsenal of new moves. More lunges means less static Sieg.

I've also gone back to Voldo, but his move set has changed a bit. Doesn't seem quite as fast, nor as strong, yet is still fun :)
And hey! Voldo's mask is NOT a sunflower! It's the SUN! On the back of his head is the MOON! What an awesome and inspired costume.

Catterjee
05-11-2005, 05:22
Thanks for that Brother Cat, but I've been playing it the past couple of days :D (of course)
(here in HK, we get everything the very next day of release day :))

*shakes fist*

I did of course choose Siegfried first and am uimpressed by his new arsenal of new moves. More lunges means less static Sieg.

But he's still nice and bashy. :D

I've also gone back to Voldo, but his move set has changed a bit. Doesn't seem quite as fast, nor as strong, yet is still fun

The change to the Deadly Rose input has totally thrown off my Voldo game. I think I'm going to have to totally relearn him.

And hey! Voldo's mask is NOT a sunflower! It's the SUN! On the back of his head is the MOON! What an awesome and inspired costume.
Yes, I know. But a sunflower looks like a sun, and I was trying to be vague.

Fun little story. At a Halloween party I went to the day after my previous post my friend Jay who I have not seen in ages was in attendance. We threw down with SCIII, I picked Tira, he picked Raphael. Raph is his major character. He's played him constantly since SCII. And I beat his ass, with Tira, who I'd been playing for less then a day. Then I did it again with Ivy who I'm now actively trying to learn. Though I haven't figured out if she still has that stance where she swings the whip-form blade over her head like a lasso.

Now, Jay was drunk, but the scary thing is that he's usually even better at games while plastered. He was in a bit of denial after I punked him. I guess it makes up for all the drunken Tekken 4 beatings he gave me at New Years 2004. :angel:

neXus6
05-11-2005, 05:54
Great it's 6am and I'm once again depressed at the fact that I chose to be a die hard PC gamer...Mind you the fact that my PC is wrecked has made me very tempted to but a PC this last year.

Oh I forgot to mention that despite only ever owning an N64 I love fighting games of any kind. Thing is I can never decide which console to buy, I always like games on both the main ones.

Ravening Wh0re
05-11-2005, 09:24
whoops! when i typed "uimpressed" i meant impressed, but it came out unimpressed :cries:

how can i ever not be wowed by ol' Siegie?

i made a barbarian (hoping to make a custom char of Siegfried in all but name) but my char is a bit.....light and jumpy....
does anyone know if costumes, weapons sets change your moves? or can you buy/learn more as you unlock things? /confused

Catterjee
05-11-2005, 16:40
whoops! when i typed "uimpressed" i meant impressed, but it came out unimpressed :cries:

how can i ever not be wowed by ol' Siegie?

Its ok. I understood what you meant. :)

i made a barbarian (hoping to make a custom char of Siegfried in all but name) but my char is a bit.....light and jumpy....
does anyone know if costumes, weapons sets change your moves? or can you buy/learn more as you unlock things? /confused

I haven't played around with the create-a-character yet. I don't own a copy yet, but I have a birthday in just under a month. Hopefully somebody notices the blatent hints I've been dropping. :angel:

Ravening Wh0re
06-11-2005, 12:13
I have to add that all the chars seem (so far) to be more balanced. The heavies don't hit quite so hard, whilst the lights seem a bit more damaging. Also sweeping attacks arent so all-encompassing, and actually miss.

Not much more to say, but....some of the cpu opponents are frustratingly hard!

KDP Morgoth
08-11-2005, 23:41
I rented the game last week and been playing it like mad ever since. I've played a little of the previous Soul Calibur/Edge games but none of them really grabbed me like this one. I've gone through about half of the characters in story mode and enjoyed it a lot. The only things that really kind of bug me about it is just how similar all the story lines seem (i.e. going to Zasalamel's Clock Tower) and the uberness/difficulty of some COMP Opponents. I will say I like the added element of using buttons and the D-Pad at certain points in the cinemas. Reminds me a little of Dragon's Lair. The Character Creation is a lot more fun once you start unlocking stuff and buying stuff out of the stores. And as for the Chronicles of the Sword mode, it does seem a lot like an attempt to draw in RTS fans. Its not bad, but aside from seeing how well your designed character(s) fairs against the Soul Calibur fighters it gets a little tedious. About the only reason I'm playing all the way through it is to earn gold to buy stuff and unlock more Character Creation options.

Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Venomizer
23-11-2005, 21:21
speaking of create a soul and at the risk of sounding like a complete imbacile...........how do you change the disciplines for each job? (I dont want my ninja using damn Kunai)

KDP Morgoth
24-11-2005, 21:10
speaking of create a soul and at the risk of sounding like a complete imbacile...........how do you change the disciplines for each job? (I dont want my ninja using damn Kunai)

AFAIK the only way to unlock new disciplines for each Career/Job is through achievements in the Chronicles of the Sword part of the game. There may be other ways, but that's the only way I've really found to do it so far.

From memory, Ninjas eventually get access to Katana & Shuriken discipline and another discipline (can't remember the name) that essentialy gives you access to swords like the one wielded by Ivy.