PDA

View Full Version : wood elf amber pendant

Darth
17-04-2007, 14:01
It says that with this pendant the model in base always strikes last, does this count if the opponent is a chaos lord with the helm that allows him to always stike first, even with a great weapon?.

Noldo
17-04-2007, 14:12
They are effects that cancel each other out, so the best ruling is rolling D6 for each combat round to determine which effect (Always Strike First v Always Strike Last) takes first place on that round.

Avian
17-04-2007, 14:19
The item is poorly written, as you would probably expect from Anthony Reynolds, but as Noldo said you have two conflicting "always"-es, so you roll a D6 each turn to see which takes presedence.

Much easier than endless circles of arguments on the lines of:
"My item says you strike last."
"Yeah? But my item says I strike first even if I would be striking last."
"Yeah? But my item says you strike last even if you would be striking first."
etc.

Bloodknight
17-04-2007, 14:27
Yep, IŽd either dice it off or ignore both and follow the normal combat sequence. Dicing it is better, though.

Selsaral
17-04-2007, 14:29
You wouldn't default to initiative, like you do when two models have the 'always strikes first' ability?

Darth
17-04-2007, 15:44
Yeh the initiate thing sounds right!

ZomboCom
19-04-2007, 01:11
It's a dice off situation.

Vattendroppe
19-04-2007, 06:24
Since it's not treated in any place of some errata, rulebook or such, the proper thing to do would be to dice it of everytime. But I know for certain that I'd at least first try to agree that they cancel eachother out.

enyoss
19-04-2007, 11:50
I think this is treated in the rulebook though isn't it? I think there's a passage somewhere in the Magic section which deals with this exact situation, and the profered solution is to dice off each round for which item trumps which.

Of course, I might be completely wrong :p.

Cheers,

enyoss

Reinnon
19-04-2007, 11:57
er.... the magic item actually states that it ignores first strike.

i would say that the wording is pretty clear, the pendent does ignore helm of many eyes

Avian
19-04-2007, 12:02
er.... the magic item actually states that it ignores first strike.
Ah, but due to the wording of "Always strikes first", this is in fact impossible. The only thing that can make "Always strikes first" not strike first is another model with "Always strike first" and higher Initiative.

Reinnon
19-04-2007, 12:07
the wording is:

"even if they have charged or have an ability that would allow them to normally strike first"

also the word "automatically" is used.

for reference the helm of many eyes says:

"The wearer always strikes first in close combat".

the helm of many eyes doesn't effect the pendant as no where in its entry does it state "even if the enemy has an ability that makes you strike last", the pendant does have this entry.

i know, the word normally will no doubt be brought up and that the helm of many eyes isn't "normal", but the wording seems pretty clear cut.

until an item comes along that states "always strikes first no matter what", the pendant will always make them strike last.

enyoss
19-04-2007, 12:40
I agree with Reinnon. Looking at the wording it seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Cheers,

enyoss

Vattendroppe
19-04-2007, 12:41
Sometimes I guess one doesn't use logic and reading combined as one should do. With statement from Reinnon I think it seems pretty clear.

ZomboCom
19-04-2007, 12:44
Ah, I thought the helm specified that it ignored "strike last" items. In that case the pendant definately wins out.

IronBrother
20-04-2007, 03:12
Yeh, the Reinnon is right, the wording is pretty clear.