PDA

View Full Version : HE Dragon

Red_Lep
17-04-2007, 22:33
I'm thinkin' about adding a Prince on a Dragon when the tournament tops out at 2250, how should I kit him out? Should I take him since its such a low point level?

MalusCalibur
17-04-2007, 22:50
Don't. He can never realistically earn his points back against competent players and he cuts down your overall number of heroes/mages.

MalusCalibur

Red_Lep
18-04-2007, 01:04
Don't. He can never realistically earn his points back against competent players and he cuts down your overall number of heroes/mages.

MalusCalibur

Really? I was under the impression that as long as you where smart about terrain and didn't leave him out to dry it could be a good buy, was I wrong?

Khorne warrior
18-04-2007, 01:05
It is alright to take him, just do not go overboard on wargear and magic items

Galladorn
18-04-2007, 01:13
Actually yes.

Take prince on Dragon, and a Commander on a great Eagle

Prince: Vambraces of defence, Dragon Scale Shield and Dragon Armour
gives a 3+ save that can be rerolled, 4+ Ward Save
Weapon: Lance
Price: 537

Commander: Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, Dragon Armour, Shield
Gives a 3+ rerolled armor save, 5+ ward save
Price: 182

these two charge the same enemy unit and will break it almost every time.
5 attacks, S6 from dragon
4 attacks S6 from prince

2 Attacks from eagle S4
3 Attacks S6 from commander

Plus terror

Add a Mage for defensive use
Bring the battle down their throat

Red_Lep
18-04-2007, 01:44
Actually yes.

Take prince on Dragon, and a Commander on a great Eagle

these two charge the same enemy unit and will break it almost every time.
5 attacks, S6 from dragon
4 attacks S6 from prince

2 Attacks from eagle S4

Plus terror

Add a Mage for defensive use
Bring the battle down their throat

Cool, what points would you usually use that at? Also, wouldn't an enchanted shield be better for the prince since its half the points and you already have the 4+ ward so you don't need the 6+?

scatterlaser
18-04-2007, 02:15
I'd be tempted to take Lion Guard and the Vambraces. Being Stubborn on Ld10 means you can charge/get charged by pretty much anything that isn't going to kill the Prince easily and sit there for ages if you need to. Breaking and running down a Dragon is the only way a lot of armies can deal with one, and being Stubborn almost completely negates that. Rerolling armour saves plus the lion cloak also makes the Prince quite hard to hurt with low-strength magic or shooting, which is a handy bonus.

Vattendroppe
18-04-2007, 06:30
Cool, what points would you usually use that at? Also, wouldn't an enchanted shield be better for the prince since its half the points and you already have the 4+ ward so you don't need the 6+?

Yes, it would be.

eleveninches
18-04-2007, 17:55
armour of protection, sword of hoeth, shield, (longbow optional)

sigur
18-04-2007, 19:26
It tends to make people worry much and get distracted. Give it a try, I'd say. In 2000pts games, it's a big points sink but it can also work very well.

Shagrat
18-04-2007, 19:42
I say use him AND Asarnil the Dragon Lord charging the same unit...

TheWarSmith
18-04-2007, 19:46

You sir, are a jerk. Just kidding. If people took that combo, you'd just have to slap them.

larabic
18-04-2007, 20:09
One item...null stone

Find their general challenge him and have the dragon eat him since he has no more magic items...and your still a dragon after all. Give your guy a mundane lance and armor and go nuts.

Red_Lep
18-04-2007, 20:56

I thought you couldn't include Asarnil in a High Elves army?

Vattendroppe
18-04-2007, 21:00
I thought you couldn't include Asarnil in a High Elves army?

IIRC he's a highelf and they can take him for two rare slots. Why shouldn't one be able to do that anyhow? :confused:

Red_Lep
18-04-2007, 21:08
IIRC he's a highelf and they can take him for two rare slots. Why shouldn't one be able to do that anyhow? :confused:

I read the RoR once and I thought for some reason they said HE where one of the units that couldn't use him, I'll go check.

Red_Lep
18-04-2007, 21:15
I mis-read it, he can be hired for HE :rolleyes:

carl
18-04-2007, 21:25
Find their general challenge him and have the dragon eat him since he has no more magic items...and your still a dragon after all. Give your guy a mundane lance and armor and go nuts.

Sooo Evil:skull: .

Yellow Commissar
18-04-2007, 22:24
You sir, are a jerk. Just kidding. If people took that combo, you'd just have to slap them.

Go ahead and try to slap me. :mad:

Remember, all things are relative. It is one thing to spring this combo on an unsuspecting opponent in a pick up game. It is quite another when both players have explicitly agreed to the use of named characters.

If Red-Lep's tournament format allows the use of both Regiments of Renown and special characters, then this is a perfectly legitimate suggestion. Effective too! :evilgrin:

As to Red-Lep's original question, I suspect that the best combo is Lion Guard and Vambaces of Defense. I haven't used it myself since none of my Dragon riders are equipped with a Lion Cloak. If I'm going to whup someone with one model, it's for damn sure going be WYSIWYG.

I have had great success with these Princes....

Reaver Bow, Vambraces of Defense, Heavy Armour, Shield, Hand Weopon, and Lance.

Bow of the Seafarer, Armour of Protection, Shield, Hand Weopon, and Lance.

Ring of Corin, Vambraces of Defense, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Hand Weopon, and Lance.

Blade of Sea Gold, Vambraces of Defense, Heavy Armour, Shield, and Lance.

When I use Asarnil as well, I take Loremaster, Dispel Scroll, Armour of Protection, Shield, Hand Weopon, and Lance.

I've heard the Null Stone works quite well, though I've yet to try it. I doubt, though, that it is the most effective choice for an all takers environment.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

Red_Lep
19-04-2007, 01:41

2 Attacks from eagle S4

Would this combo work in lower points say maybe 1000-1250?

Shagrat
19-04-2007, 14:12

Ouch! But a couple of dragons is such a beautifull sight...

And the rest of the army will be very small, not to mention zero magic defence...
It isn't THAT cheesy.

Noldo
19-04-2007, 19:32
You can actually do Double Dragon High Elves with magic defence. Just give the prince on dragon Loremaster and two or three scrolls.

3 DD and 3 scrolls should allow you to protect your dragons from spells for at least first, maybe two first rounds and that should be enough time for you to reach enemy lines.

With 2 scrolls you will have sufficient points left for Enchanted Shield, which together with heavy armor and lance gives nice (not great) armor save (3+) and combat power. In that setup one can replace Loremaster with Radiant Gem of Hoeth and actually try to cast a spell with your two power dice.

Tarian
19-04-2007, 19:44
For my Lord/Dragon combo, here's how I kit him.

Prince
- Lance
- Shield
- Heavy Armor
- Helm of Fortune
- Lion Guard
- Sacred Incense
Mount - Dragon (Wow... never expected this one)

He doesn't have a ward save, but his armor should protect him against regular troopers. I don't like taking him into enemy characters, as they are usually much stronger then an elf. Anyhow, stick him into an enemy unit, as lion guard makes him stubborn, and if he manages a flank/rear attack, he also negates ranks, being US>5.

smileyface
21-04-2007, 11:36

Or you could take the Enchanted Sheild for exactly the same stats and ten fewer points.

Alternatively, the Vambraces/Lion Guard combo is tasty. You can charge right into the front of infantry, put down one rank, hold for the first turn, and then start winning afterwards. If you do muff your attacks, no worries, you hold on a ten.

If you want something for charging in and doing damage an eagle-mounted commander is not the most cost effective. He costs one and a half units of cavalry and does less damage than one. Or to compare him to chariots, he's two chariots in price and nearly one in charge damage.

Personally I like the eagle-mounted commander with the reaver bow for his versatility:
Commander
Eagle
Lance, heavy/dragon armour,
Reaver Bow
sheild or enchanted sheild.

The Old Scholar
23-04-2007, 09:02
Null stone is okay but insanely expensive.
Go with the Talisman of Saphery or the Ring of Corin if you wish to eliminate enemy magic items.
But as for the question, I would give the dragon a try. I suppose it depends on the rest of your list and what it is the list does, or at least attempts. However, if you don't want to spend the points, there is the Griffon, and you keep the hero slot. (Just a thought.)