PDA

View Full Version : Better assassins? Skaven or Dark Elves?

studderigdave
17-04-2007, 23:52
assassins always intrigued me in both 40k and fantasy. this question has raised a stur at my local store, where we have both a skaven and a DE player. so can someone shoot my some pro/cons on these silent killers? maybe some units to support them too?

Bloodknight
18-04-2007, 00:02
The DE one is the better fighter when it comes to the profile, but the Skaven Assassin can take much nastier stuff, beginning with an item which doubles his strength and ending with the horrible warpstone shuriken (very strong).

In a one on one Iīd bet on the Skaven if there was a shooting phase beforehand.

Also the Skaven Assassin can actually kill characters.The DE Assassin is too weak for chars, but sort of good for troops, but expensive. Thatīs why you donīt see DE assassins in most army lists.

Bull
18-04-2007, 00:21
Yeah the Skaven assasin is more of an 'in your face' assasin due to their ability to cause significant damage and can wander around by themselves being a pain in the ****.

The Dark Elf assasin is useful to hide in a medium strength unit, something that your opponent is going to target with a hard unit to break the battle line, then the assasin springs out and can deal all his attacks to the character in the hard unit, turning the tide of battle.

It's all to do with tactics, the Skaven is a good character to have for all occasions unless you want the character spot for something else.

The dark elf assasin is only good if you employ tactics that will bring him into play at an effective time and role.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
18-04-2007, 00:31
The skaven assassin is a much better option. For 105pts you get better stats than some lords in other armies. I play clan eshin(all assassins) and I always bring mine in one of these ways:
weeping blades (+1str each wound =d3 wounds)
warpstone stars (throws stars equal to his number of attacks at str 5, each wound causes d3 wounds)
bands of power (bound level 4 item, doubles his strength for 1 turn)
- plus the skaven assassin gets smoke bombs which makes an enemy that wants to pursue him have to roll a 4+ before they can roll to see how far. If they roll below then they cant pursue.

even withought this stuff he still comes with two poisoned hand weapons which are often great for gettin ght last wound on big models.
Im my army i can skitterleap assassins (or sorcorers with the brass orb) into combat or behind enemy units. they count as charging and get to single out enemy characters. This in combination with my master assassin with his fellblade is one of the most feared single models in the game. 4 str 10 attacks that do d6 wounds a piece...:evilgrin:

Hulkster
18-04-2007, 08:08
Skaven Assassins all the way

DE ones are way over priced and I have never seen one get its points back.

sulla
18-04-2007, 11:26
DE assassins are massively overpriced and struggle to kill characters, especially armoured ones. They also go in fragile 'elite' infantry units that struggle to hold when charged by most everything. Also, they can't be in a DE unit with a sorceress, which limits your options if you only have a few infantry units.

They can be tooled as awesome rank and file infantry killers, but unfortunately, they cost as much as 10 witch elves with full command then (which do that job even better).

So, while a skaven assassin might not beat a DE assassin in a 'fair' fight, he is better for either assassinating enemy characters/warmachines or even large monsters. He is also pretty good at generating massive amounts of overkill in challenges with his weeping blade.

Angelwing
18-04-2007, 12:31
skaven assassins all the way. I'm not that biased, honest.:angel:

Revlid
18-04-2007, 13:58
Skaven by far. Dark Elf Assassins are overpriced and generally useless.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
18-04-2007, 16:57
Although I prefer DE's, skaven are better simply because DE's are too pricy. but I hate it when people say they are useless, because they're not, they're just overpriced, and can kill characters.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
18-04-2007, 16:57
damn double post!

Wintersdark
19-04-2007, 00:45
Meh... DE's, while not useless, are grossly overpriced to the point where taking one is shooting yourself in the foot. You can use them, and effectively... but not efficiently. A regular hero character is more effective and flexible, a unit is.. well, it's another unit. That's just better.

~shrugs~ The only real place, IMHO, for an assassin is in a soft unit of elves that you want to be charged, so he can kill some baddies and hopefully protect your other elves so they can strike back. However... It's often pretty easy for your opponent to figure out where an assassin is. You've only got so many units he can be in, so it doesn't take too long to figure it out. It's a much better strategy with Dark Elves (or any elves for that matter!) to not get charged in the first place.

Skaven assassins are a much better deal.

Toby
19-04-2007, 10:56
no way de can be used to kill normel troops and characters give him an ad hand weapon and rune of khaine and he will easily get his points back in no time.

Scythe
19-04-2007, 14:46
A noble does the same, for less points, and more gives more. He is better protected, and gives Ld9.

I agree with the mayority here; skaven assassins are just better. Dark Elf assassins are quite overpriced for what they do (which is not much...)

Fingol23
19-04-2007, 14:53
Dark elf assasins are best against toughness five characters and next to useless against toughness three well armoured ones in my opinion, but of course that only works if you take manbane

Tarian
19-04-2007, 19:48
I fought a DE Assassin with my HE Lord. With a 1+ reroll armor, that assassin was pretty much worthless, being only S4 with Manbane. The only time HE Toughness was a good thing.

Esco Thomson
19-04-2007, 19:56
Sadly, the Rat Man wins hands down.

Better gear(Bands of Power), better support(Skitterleap), and as was said, will easily make his points back.

Nothing like popping chariots with ninja stars.

C-Coen
19-04-2007, 21:29
Clan Eshin of course! Cheap for the damage he can do. With a nice magic item, or a sorceror who skitterleaps him, but mostly, with both these things he's a real killer. As the name suggests.