PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblins stand alone?

Ikarius
20-04-2007, 04:03
After finally painting up a unit of the Night Goblins that came with the Battle for Skull Pass set, I've found that I really enjoy painting the little buggers.

So, the big question here is. How feasible is a mostly Night Goblin list (Mostly meaning 80% at the least)? Would it be at least POSSIBLE to win games, or is it a doomed build?

TKitch
20-04-2007, 04:32
you can absolutely field one!

They tend to win by underhanded tactics, rather than big, powerful, monsters, but they can win!

Big Units, Full Command and such. Starting with a +5 in combat! All you need to do is not get ahnillated and you're in good shape!

Ikarius
20-04-2007, 04:39
Big units meaning? 30? 40? 50 man?

Hazhumie
20-04-2007, 05:58
I'm trying to put together a 2K list using two BfSP boxes (less trolls, unfortunately) and sticking with the NG theme. I've got two blocks of 36 spearmen, and two blocks of about 20 bowmen. I don't know what the general consensus on going six wide with spearmen is, but that's the plan at this point.

With the BfSP gobbos, I converted the extra musicians into netters pretty easily. The two heros w/ squig have been adapted into crew for a custom doom diver. Squig hoppers are next on the purchase list. Skarsnik seems to be an eventuality as well.

Tutore
20-04-2007, 06:04
I think they can win almost alone. You can't rely on the units nor on the leadership, but you still have something that does good wounds (squig herds and hoppers), and you could always throw in a unit of trolls. I wouldn't go into battle without fast cav, however.

Ikarius
20-04-2007, 06:21
I sorta got a loose idea for a NG army based around 2 BFSP sets and some add ons.

Skarsnik
2 Shamans

80 Spearmen
40 Archers
40 Hand Weapons + Shields
As many fanatics as I can get
20 Spider Riders (Converted to look like Night Gobbos)

Trio of Trolls (Common, most likely)
Doom Diver

I don't have an O/G army book, so what would that run me, points wise?

Freaky Goblin
20-04-2007, 09:17
Definitley a lot of fun as a nearly stand alone. I have supplemented with spider riders, trolls, giant and rock lobba on occasion. Nets, Fanatics and Shamans are a must.

In terms of tactics I have had some success with leading with Trolls and/or Giant and a staggered approach by Night Goblin Spears (which ussually happens with animosity and stupid trolls holding up the advance anyway). The opposing units then pursue trying to chase down trolls and/or initial night goblin unit into the magic 8" to set up for a counter charge or onto spears.

Unit size of 30 ish seems about right - large enough to need some concentrated missile/magic to force a panic test and small enough to have some ability to maneuvre. One golden rule against an army that can shoot - with leadership 5 - don't sit around get stuck in.

Mushrooms are a must both the re-roll number of hits for fanatics and the extra power for spell casting - very amusing as shaman heads explode everywhere. Your opponent will forget their strategy amidst the laughter leaving them wide open.

Ikarius' list on a quick tally is a little under 2,000 depending on number of fanatics, full command and magic for the shamans.

Da Black Gobbo
20-04-2007, 09:33
Night goblins aren't an easy army to play but they are the funniest one in the entire game!! anyways if you wanna win some games (or just try it) you should have squig herds (lots and lots) a good fire base 4 spear chukkas and a doom diver (Heavy calvary/infantry nightmare) a meat shield 3 units of 35 gobbos should be ok, and some flanking protecction, spider riders or wolf riders and a couple of chariots, don't forget the Red Rowdy banner and a big buch of fanatics.

Good luck!

The Blue Knight
20-04-2007, 15:04
You should field one and you can win. I run the following for 2250pts

Skarsnik
Two (2) Lvl 20 shamans
BSB with the Red Banner
four (4) units of 30 (skarniks unit has nets) each with one fanatic
two (2) units of 20 archers
one (1) unit of ten spider riders with spears and bows
two (2) pump wagons
three (3) stone trolls
a unit of snotlings
two (2) rock lobbas
two (2) spear chukas

My record thus far is a respectable 5-6-0 with two (2) victories each against Bretts and Dwarves. I find the NG's much more fun and challenging to play then my std Brett Army.

I used to not believe in nets but now I have seen the light and plan to equip all my spear units with them. I have not tried out the squig herds or hoppers but look forward to doing so.

Crazy Harborc
21-04-2007, 02:03
NGs with spears lined up 6 (or more) across is a good thing to do with them. IMHO, it increases the chances of more NGs in the front two ranks surviving being charged so they are able to fight back.

I really LIKE the NGs in the Skull Pass box (got two boxes) By the by, they are blue skinned. I decided not to give them white hoods, too smurfy:angel:

Orcboy_Phil
21-04-2007, 02:24
Well from a fluff point of veiw you've got some really nasty units in an all night gobbo horde.
Fanatics
Netters
Squig Herds
Squig Hoppers
Stone Trolls and Giants

Convert your Spider riders by placing your NG on the spiders instead of FG and you've got a theme going there. Same with both Catapults and Bolt Throwers as well. Both easily converted. And don't forget snots, every horde needs Snots if only to look cool.

caerdrath
26-04-2007, 17:27
What colour do you plan on painting your Night Goblins, just the plain simple black dresses or you going for some theme in that aswell?

Crazy Harborc
26-04-2007, 19:50
So how about black with brown leathers and red bows or spear shafts? That, that seems to go well with my NG gobbos from Skull Pass. The dark colours help to show their gloss blue skin:D Smurfs with an attitude:D

Ikarius
27-04-2007, 18:15
Mostly just black dresses. However the bosses and what not will have patterns painted onto the edged of their hoods and sleeves. I'll get a picture up sometime soon to show you what I mean.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
27-04-2007, 18:30
IMO I dont think it's a good idea. there just aren't enough choices to make a good proper army-ok it might work but so what?
I think doing a goblin list is bad enough (not that bad though) but then to make it even more limited, it's mad!

BTW just to check, do they still sell the starter set (Empire VS orcs) because I thought that that was a far better box than skull pass. If not, can't they have 2 starter sets?

the vicar
28-04-2007, 11:31
Nope, they don't sell it anymore. It's 6th edition. Try ebay or somewhere to get your hands on one.

Ikarius
29-04-2007, 05:51
IMO I dont think it's a good idea. there just aren't enough choices to make a good proper army-ok it might work but so what?
I think doing a goblin list is bad enough (not that bad though) but then to make it even more limited, it's mad!

BTW just to check, do they still sell the starter set (Empire VS orcs) because I thought that that was a far better box than skull pass. If not, can't they have 2 starter sets?

Well. I suppose what I COULD do, is convert the other options and have them "counts as". Although, I'm trying to figure out just what there'd BE to convert/count as