PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin number two! (she's a lady!)

razza
24-04-2007, 20:09
Hi all!
well, here she is finally finished, i followed the same lines as the previous harlie but got rid of the green and added red instead as a spot colour. I also decided to do a swirly barbed pattern in place of hearts to balance the diamond pattern.
the colours are very similar to the first harlie but i used scaly green on the diamonds in place of hawk turquoise.
i also did a little more with the base on this one.
let me know what you think, as always any comments or questions are welcome!

ebay link-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120112896679&ru=http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/120112896679_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0089-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0090-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0091.jpg

razza
24-04-2007, 20:10
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0092.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0095.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0096.jpg

Nife
24-04-2007, 20:24
Stunning mate - simply stunning....

farseer kyladras
24-04-2007, 20:29
Oh my dear god that incredble! Razza i`m gonna go burn my paintbrushes and post the ashes to you in protest against your skills!

FK

Lord of Skulls
24-04-2007, 20:35
Absolutely amazing as always, razza:)

I'm especially fond of the 'sparkling' effect you've done on the sword and the pistol. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. Is it something new you've come up with? (And do you have any tips for figuring out where the spots go?)

Your work is always a great inspiration:)

Perfect Organism
24-04-2007, 20:35
Very nice, but somehow not quite as impressive as the first one. I'm not sure if it's the new colours, or just that the underlying model isn't quite as nice, but it doesn't sing to me in the same way that the last one did.

Still approximately a zillion times better than my stuff though.

Curis
24-04-2007, 20:36
Holy poop! That's heart-achingly gorgeous! She must be mine!

Luthien
24-04-2007, 20:37
mary mother of god! razza your a painting god!! all bow, all bow now!!!

luna wolf
24-04-2007, 20:51
i know i want to get as good as the eavy metal team but this just takes the mick.

kermit
24-04-2007, 21:28
I want to download you brain... really... I want your skills!

Great stuff, I enjoy everything you post, so please keep posting!

hiveminion
24-04-2007, 21:34
With all the gems painted in different colours I think the pistol is tied in much more with the original scheme, the nnm gold also goes nicer with the red than the green I think.

I could say it looks stunning and excellent but to be honest the quality of this miniature goes beyond such words, and that's about the biggest compliment I can give you.;)

I was wondering how long this (and the previous) model took you to paint?

Kmarak
24-04-2007, 21:40
I got mine on Saturday and have just undercoated it black. After looking at yours I think I will leave it black!!! I must find the shop where they sell the one bristle brushes.

A real artwork. How long did it take to paint?

K.

Arkzein
24-04-2007, 23:55
Really nothing to pick out on this one, technique flawless as always composition even works perfectly for me. Also an effect I've not seen used to often with the the hot spots on larger and even flat surfaces, damned hard to get right without it looking like damage or downright sloppy but executed brilliantly here, still, not sure if I prefer it to plain smooth blends.

In any case another fantastic piece, leaves one wanting to go out and have a bash at emulating it if only such a feat were possible, especially with the detailed guide and close ups. Cheers again, hope they make a tidy sum on ebay as I've no doubt they deserve.

Siromcyre
25-04-2007, 01:03
That sword is so silly cool. Would you mind posting up a close up of that crystalline behemoth?

nanktank
25-04-2007, 01:38
Ive never been a fan on non metal metallics.....until now, that is amazing!!

loveless
25-04-2007, 01:54
you...are scary...

and those diamonds ARE freehand, aren't they? i haven't seen the minis, but they aren't molded into the harlies, right?

MaliGn
25-04-2007, 02:03
I think she looks sort of well... fat... the paintwork is awesome, but something about it just makes me think that for an Eldar she loks like a fatty... it's just odd looking to me. No disrespect intended.

psykochiken
25-04-2007, 02:29
do you have a online gallery for me to cry over?

Ravik
25-04-2007, 03:37
You've validated my opinion of that model being the best harlequin.

Awesome painting, absolutely stunning.

I can't really add much more to what anyone else has said I guess. Can't wait to see the others and then all of them together?

The Iron Duke
25-04-2007, 03:50
Lovely freehand. I also find the pistol to be particularly well done. Outstanding, as always.

One_Second_of_Insanity
25-04-2007, 04:15
wow another beautifully done harlie razza, i especially love all the freehand thorn pattern

Dark Apostle197
25-04-2007, 05:25
I...Hate... You... In a good way, lol nice work.

The Wraithlord
25-04-2007, 05:49
Damn that is stunning. People who can paint at this level amaze me. That being said, I fired off a couple of questions at you via PM Razza. :)

FarandAway
25-04-2007, 06:18
Beautiful...that pretty well sums it up.

razza
25-04-2007, 06:52
thanks loads for all the comments guys!
i do feel that this fig doesn't have the same 'impact' as the first harlie but in another way it's a bit more easier on the eye if you know what i mean. the fig is all faced in one direction which helped me compose the colours.
The hot spot thing on the nmm turned out well in the end, i have done it before but not this much. i tried to group the hot spot in pairs showing two light sources and to make the effect more intense.

@psykochiken-
i have a gallery on coolminiornot under.... razza

@MaliGn-
does her **** look big in this? ;)

@siromcyre-
i'll see if i can get a decent pic of the blade for you mate.

@hiveminion and kamrak-
both the harlies took about 38 hours to paint.... each!:cries:

thanks again guys! cheers! Daz

Strelok
25-04-2007, 07:13
Dear God that's good. I don't even know what to say, that freehand is appallingly well done, as is the NMM. If this is for a squad entry for GD, I would cower at its awesomeness. Even as a single miniature I feel the same way. How long did this take you?

Edit: I posted just as you did. 38 hours each? That's simply intense, I'm patient, but I don't know if I could spend that much time. Guess I'll have to work on that.

Edit again: didn't realize exactly who you were until I read the ebay post. I guess that takes the GD out of the picture. Mind taking an apprentice?

Reflex
25-04-2007, 07:17
wow... 38 hours.. lets see... i could do a whole tyranid army in that time...

but my painting would go, dip in black pot, dip in red pot, dip in green pot..... done... :D

GW razza... top stuff... i cant believe you spend so much time doing it, i wish i had that kind of patience.. but i am to lazy..

Destris
25-04-2007, 07:35
Stunning. Please tell how you did the skull on the base? :)

D.

Ninners
25-04-2007, 08:10
That..looks...amazing! :D

Everything looks so smooth and you've matched the freehand with the folds of the suit perfectly.

Mind telling us what colours were used for the NMM?

Keep up the good work

Steel_Legion
25-04-2007, 08:44
very good job there! Really like the pistol and the lighting on it, that is raelly top

rickie8437
25-04-2007, 09:01
razza your my hero

love your work just makes me want to try hard at the painting

any tips on how to do nmm
rick

Aegrimonia
25-04-2007, 09:11
Stunning. Please tell how you did the skull on the base? :).
I'd second that question - lovely subtle tones on the skull really contrast nicely with the impact of the Harlie

Eversor
25-04-2007, 13:53
both the harlies took about 38 hours to paint.... each!:cries:

Hoochie mama, that's harsh. Still, I want to bear your love-child ;) Hope you don't mind me infringing your copyright by saving this for future reference.

The Finn
25-04-2007, 14:16
razza I honestly think you are the best painter on Warseer. Flawless.

Lt. Mitch
25-04-2007, 14:57
Lovely work! Beautiful and groundbreaking painting style. Love the NMM and I have not quite seen it done that way before.

I am reasured that it took you 38hrs as if you had said 10 I would have cried!

Arkzein
25-04-2007, 15:14
I still feel like doing so. *laughs* I wish putting the same amount of time in would give me such results (Sadly in my case time merely substitutes for skill). I'd go as far as to consider it fast for the level of painting, well worth the effort with such stunning results.

Lithian
25-04-2007, 16:15
…maestro…

:cool:

75hastings69
25-04-2007, 16:26
Another flawless piece of work Razza, I have to say I don't like this MODEL as much as the last one, however the painting is nothing short of perfect. Don't know what it is but some of these new harlies just dont seem right?

The NMM works particularly well, but as always the real selling point on this is your freehand. I like a couple of other posters would be keen to know the technique and colours used on the skull on the base as IMO it is perfect (god I used the word perfect in this post twice already!, I'd better stop now

razza
25-04-2007, 16:48
wow! loads of feedback! cheers all.

the gold and sword are the same as the first harlie, here it is again-

SWORD BLADE-
*basecoat of shadow grey
*I then mixed beached bone into the shadow grey for many thin layers on the blade
* then I washed the base of the blade with warlock purple and regal blue
*I then used bleached bone as a highlight
*white was then used as a final highlight.

NMM GOLD-
*basecoat snakebite leather
*mix in bleached bone into the snakebite for a few highlights
*wash with thinned terracotta
*wash with thinned chaos black
*highlight with pure bleached bone
*finish with skull white as a fine highlight and hotspots

The skull-
*basecoat khemri brown
*highlight khemri brown and dheneb stone mix 50/50
*add bleached bone to the mix for another highlight.
*then bleached bone on its own
*then use a small amount of white.
*i washed a little scaly and black mix into the shaded areas.

i kept the skull a cold bone colour to contrast with the bright and colourful figure. most of the time i use-
*bestial brown
*bronzed flesh
*bleached bone
*white
*scorched/black wash.

thanks again to you all! Daz

Marovingean
25-04-2007, 17:05
I like it, but it doesn't really do it for me. Very technically well done, I can't deny that, but the colours don't realy do it for me. I think they're a little bit garish (I do know they are eldar) but maybe that's the pic :)
Congratulations though :)
What are you working on at the moment? Personal and at the studio?

M

Arhalien
25-04-2007, 18:11
Another flawless piece of work Razza, I have to say I don't like this MODEL as much as the last one, however the painting is nothing short of perfect. Don't know what it is but some of these new harlies just dont seem right?

Agreed wholeheartedly. The painting is truly superb but I'm not too sure about the pose on this, or the other female Harlie. The rest (except maye the one with chainsword and fusion psitol) are superb models, as was shown to great extent by the last one Razza painted ;).

Is this going to turn into a full squad Razza?

BlazeXI
25-04-2007, 19:19
Razza, you deserve some bashing!

I did miss your previous thread and now have to look aroung to find it. You really ought to do a Project Log 'random minis 'eavy metal' style or something. this way people who are interested in your work (who isn't?) would receive an email every time the thread is updated!

schoolcormorant
25-04-2007, 19:36
Razza did do a thread of an army, it was one of the ones i saw when i first joined warseer....as you can imagine i was a bit out my depth :evilgrin:

it's called "Razza's back and he's painting an army" or somthing like that.

the Harliquin is awesome and it goes without saying that it's better than anything i could spew out.

SC

The Keeper of Secrets
25-04-2007, 20:15
I bow to your ultimate painting skills. You should be worshipped a a god of some sort....

hmmm....the 5th chaos god....razza...the god of painting!!!

Could be fun..

Nineswords
25-04-2007, 22:57
Hey Razza, excellent work as always, but is the NMM sword the same technique as the first Harlequin? Looking at the two photos it seems you have used a slightly different technique and I like the sword on this one a lot better, can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

proximity
26-04-2007, 06:52
Very nice as always, though I would venture away from yellow myself - particularly next to red. As great as the two do go together, they are often a bit much and detract from the rest of the paint job, in many areas I feel it is overpowering the freehand involved in the more subtle contrast of the purple vs turquoise. Perhaps its the MacDonalds hate in me ;)

Out of interest, what brush size do you use for most of your freehand? I havnt done much until now myself, and am considering what brush would be best. I was thinking probably a 3/0 - however I fear that such a small brush wont have the rigidness I need in the bristles to offer the same control as say a good quality size 1 brush (though maybe I just need to thin even more to help restore that control).

Xenocidal Maniac
26-04-2007, 07:21
How in God's name do you paint like this? I mean, it's not even just artistic talent we're talking about here. You obviously have the hands of a brain surgeon. I'd like to see a video of you painting sometime just so I can observe what it is you are doing.

The Wraithlord
26-04-2007, 13:07
How in God's name do you paint like this? I mean, it's not even just artistic talent we're talking about here. You obviously have the hands of a brain surgeon. I'd like to see a video of you painting sometime just so I can observe what it is you are doing.

Makes two of us :)

Tinweasel
26-04-2007, 16:43
Excellent figure! I've got a few questions, if you'd be so kind:

I haven't really seen any of the new unpainted Harlequins up close - is that skull an actual part of the original figure's molded base or did you scrape it up from elsewhere? I've never been a fan of the majority of GW-sculpted skulls I've seen thus far as the proportions have IMO generally been "off" in comparison to the actual appearance and scale of GW figures I'd want to use them with for decorative purposes. (The plastic generic Fantasy skeleton skull, for example, I think is much too thick and blocky in the jawline and face.) If I could find a skull like the one on your Harlequin base sold/available elsewhere, I'd probably be in heaven! Well, decorative base/painted miniature figure heaven at any rate...

For the sake of commenting on the figure, I don't think I'd be preaching to the choir here if I said it looks very good, is well painted, and pretty much typifies the bold patterned Harlequins I love from the old days (only not as "jarring") - I especially like the appearance of the weapons and the lozenge coloration/patterning you've done on this particular figure. I've got some of the older Harlequins painted up that I'd like to get back to and touch up - the decorative stuff on 'em turned out good (two-tone green/yellow lozenge pattern on the greatcloak and blended gemstones on the flip belts, for example) but the rest of the figures aren't highlighted and painted up to the same standard. Anyways, do you generally work from a white background and ink/paint on the lozenge color and highlights or do you block out the shapes in a basecolor and then work up to highlights from there?

Granted, I painted mine about 15 years ago, but I sketched the lines to be filled in lightly in pencil over a white basecoat, inked the individual diamond shapes in for maximum brightness, used thinned-down slightly darker shaded paints to work in shadows, and then blended up to shades of white with hints of the respective inks for highlights. I used a ballpoint pen to trace/tidy up the division between the lozenges, if I remember correctly - I'd probably use painted color lines nowadays or a micron pen. Any of this sound similar to your process?

Marovingean
26-04-2007, 16:54
The Skull is indeed part of the model.

M

razza
26-04-2007, 17:47
hi, the skull is not part of the model. i will be answering all the questions later tonight if that's ok. i have a lot more time then. cheers all! Daz