PDA

View Full Version : Hammerers and Runes.

Ikarius
25-04-2007, 04:14
I'm currently taking a Hammerer unit of 14 (shields) with a Thane to lead em.

What runes do I take on their standard to maximize their usefulness?

I was thinkin of taking the one that detracts d6" (or was it just 6"?) from the opponent's charge range.

What do you guys think?

Vattendroppe
25-04-2007, 05:36
I say that you'll still have a harsh time getting the charge with them. Or well, it'll work the first times when your opponents don't know that you have it, but when they've got it figured out it will pretty much ruin it. But I dunno the pts cost of that thing, so it maybe be worth it.

Mister Hat
25-04-2007, 06:27
I think rune of slowness may be a good solution, especially in a tourny. But for hammerers I find the rune that makes them immune to fear is usefull. I also take a unit of 15 (basically to take the charge and hold). We also have a number of undead players in our area. I like to make the hammerers immune to auto-break, which is a real problem with the smaller unit size.

Capslock
25-04-2007, 17:59
Rune of Stoicism (doubles your US) works as a poor man's Rune of Courage if you can keep an undead unit from getting too big. Against other units it's nice to rob your opponent of that critical CR point and can compensate for having fewer ranks. Granted, you still have to pass the test during the charge so I guess it depends on how much trust Ld 9 (a safe bet but sometimes the dice gods frown on you). If the hammerers are serving as a lynch pin in your lines I would say Rune of Battle is a must for the extra CR.

heretics bane
25-04-2007, 18:01
master rune of courage works well as it makes them immune to fear and terror or master rune of grungri 5+ ward save against shooting attacks

Darkfang74
25-04-2007, 18:17
I use the rune of slowness and have a lord with a runic 2 handed axe. Its so beautiful to see 19 hammers led by their lord hit a unit and throw 12 dice 10 at str 6 and 2 at 4 (I got my lord carried on a shield) And the lord makes them immune to fear and terror so Its all good.

Dead Man Walking
26-04-2007, 01:41
Unless your countercharging a unit already in combat the lord and hammerers are not going to strike first and since the hammerers are using great weapons they will get a whole 5+ save, which means if your opponent can throw a good opening salvo your not going to get those hammerer attacks. While 12 attacks coming back sounds good your most likely going to end up with 5-6 when charged if your lucky.

I typically opt for the hand weapon and shield route, as stubborn does not help you if there are no hammerers alive. WS5 str4 is still good for swinging and AS 3+ is much more respectable than 5+. Of course you have to judge your opponent, such as use hand weapon shield against lightly armored foes and great weapon against high toughness low armor save enemies.

I don't personally field any rank and file units unless they are 20 men strong.

My choices for Hammerers are, 2 runes of +1 combat resolution, immune to fear and terror + magic resistance 1, or the banner for 5+ ward for all dwarfs within 6".

eleveninches
26-04-2007, 10:58
I always like the rune of battle and the one that doubles their unit strength.

heretics bane
26-04-2007, 18:49
Unless your countercharging a unit already in combat the lord and hammerers are not going to strike first and since the hammerers are using great weapons they will get a whole 5+ save, which means if your opponent can throw a good opening salvo your not going to get those hammerer attacks. While 12 attacks coming back sounds good your most likely going to end up with 5-6 when charged if your lucky

great weapons actaully are allowed to strike first if they charge but only for the first turn only after that they strike last, its one of those rules thats been revised but the new versions been over looked

Bran Dawri
26-04-2007, 21:07
Unless your countercharging a unit already in combat the lord and hammerers are not going to strike first and since the hammerers are using great weapons they will get a whole 5+ save, which means if your opponent can throw a good opening salvo your not going to get those hammerer attacks. While 12 attacks coming back sounds good your most likely going to end up with 5-6 when charged if your lucky.

Master Rune of Swiftness FTW!

I'd run the unit like this:

Thane (upgrade to lord for 2K and above) w/
MRO swiftness, RO cleaving, RO fury
shield, RO stone

14 hammerers (up to 17 for 6x3 if you can afford it)
shields, full command
RO stoicism, RO battle.

ekxw
27-04-2007, 00:48
no noe will chargue that unit, they will ignore it, its just to hard, when i use that unit people just ignored it, the best you can do its protect the flanks of the unit with long beards or ironbreakers, so the enemy must chose wich unit charge to.

the best rune you can put to your lord its the rune of the challenge, and the one that slow the enemy.

larabic
27-04-2007, 03:33
Rune of Stoicism is great because it is a gaurenteed passed break test (except for fear or something wonkie). Rune of Sanctuary or two vs some armies would also be good for them.

Dead Man Walking
27-04-2007, 12:26
You have a 6 inch charge, whats the chances someone else is going to let you get a charge off with great weapons that is not a dwarf player too?

Zip, unless its a countercharge.

Bran Dawri
27-04-2007, 17:57
You have a 6 inch charge, whats the chances someone else is going to let you get a charge off with great weapons that is not a dwarf player too?

Zip, unless its a countercharge.

I've gotten off a rather surprising number of charges with my 6" dwarf charge range - and not all of them (not even close) were countercharges. It's just a matter of manouvering carefully, anticipating, and mutually supporting your units.
And trust me, when you shove that unit down their throats, they'll eventually have no choice but to charge or be charged by it. Either way, you strike first with at least one model.

Cassius105
28-04-2007, 09:57
I say that you'll still have a harsh time getting the charge with them. Or well, it'll work the first times when your opponents don't know that you have it, but when they've got it figured out it will pretty much ruin it. But I dunno the pts cost of that thing, so it maybe be worth it.

Even if they do figure it out the banner is still useful as if they figure it out its doing a job by forcing your opponent to waste time maneuvering to counter it.

Iv had times when an opponent has chosen not to charge my hammerers with his big chaos warrior unit due to him knowing about the rune and being afraid of coming short only to get a nice cannon ball down the middle of his chaos warrior unit because of his delaying.

scarvet
28-04-2007, 12:55
1D6 on stubborn Ld9 anyone?

heretics bane
28-04-2007, 18:44
1D6 on stubborn Ld9 anyone?

ahh the beauty of dwarfs!

gortexgunnerson
29-04-2007, 01:06
I typically opt for the hand weapon and shield route, as stubborn does not help you if there are no hammerers alive. WS5 str4 is still good for swinging and AS 3+ is much more respectable than 5+. Of course you have to judge your opponent, such as use hand weapon shield against lightly armored foes and great weapon against high toughness low armor save enemies.

Then why not just use Ironbreakers for 3+ save against shooting and 2+ in combat. Ok great weapons are good against high toughness but most high toughness troops are also good on the offence and will eat your troops with their first attack.

My choices for Hammerers are, 2 runes of +1 combat resolution, immune to fear and terror + magic resistance 1, or the banner for 5+ ward for all dwarfs within 6".

Is illegal under 7th, runes of battle do not stack, do to a changing in the wording of the rune then the idea of having 1 on the BsB and 1 on the unit is decidly iffy and the RAW looks like it will be disallowed

no noe will chargue that unit, they will ignore it, its just to hard, when i use that unit people just ignored it, the best you can do its protect the flanks of the unit with long beards or ironbreakers, so the enemy must chose wich unit charge to.

the best rune you can put to your lord its the rune of the challenge, and the one that slow the enemy.

15 hammers scary, your having a laugh, dwarfs come in units of 20-25+ and should be able to start on a high combat res to make up for the fact that you will be charged. My ironbreakers are 25 strong BsB, Lord and 2 runic banners. Now thats a unit to be feared lol my dwarfs qualifed in both GT qualfiers entered using the heavy ironbreakers (played different armies in finals). 15 means 1 casuality and your down to +1 rank. 6 dwarfs attacking on 3s and 2s. Is around 3 kills. So 1 rank, banner 3 kills. 5. Other unit has 3 ranks banner and outnuimbering before it has attacked. A lord in their might swing it but the unit is a waste of time if you relie on the lord.

Rune of Stoicism is great because it is a gaurenteed passed break test (except for fear or something wonkie). Rune of Sanctuary or two vs some armies would also be good for them.

Rune of Stocism does not ensure you pass the break test, winning combat does lol You should tool units to accept charges and win combats.